fireplug

Who are some of KY's Best Coaches

Who are some of KY's best coaches coaching today? Im not talking about just based off of wins and losses. Im talking about who gets most out of his wrestlers? Who works hard to make his team and the sport better?

Lafayette's coaching staff...... William Green...University of Kentucky Alumni and former Tates Creek head coach....Morgan Chapman former Woodford County Alumni and Cumberland University Alumni and Scotty Teater former Tates Creek Alumni......The best in my opinion......

Missing from the scene this year is Chris McCoy....New Head Coach for Louisville Male......always a FAVORITE in my book !

I have to say the Carr's from Woodford take the cake, along with Rusty Parks from a few years ago; I think the history speaks for itself.

Garret Headley and Andy Critchfield have done a wonderful job at Henry Clay, winning the school's first regional championship last year! A little known fact, Henry Clay has the most individual state champs without having a team championship.

I also have to give some love to William Green and Morgan Chapman from Lafayette. They know their stuff and are good with the kids.

Some other notable coaches from around the state who do a great job with the resources they have, Dan Upchurch from Wayne Co, Jim Matney from Johnson Central, the Union Co. coaching staff, David Barnes of Walton Verona (formerly of Ryle), Bankemper from Campbell Co.

I have probably left a couple off as I am just doing this off the top of my head.

Coach Brown, Canter , Ervin, and the Carrs (including the entire staff of each) have to be considered some of the best.

Coach Founder (Central) and Riordan (Oldham) deserve a mention as well.

Walton Verona has a solid group of Coaches from the high school to the middle school. Most of the coaches have wrestled in college.

Dave Barnes NCAA D1 All-American in 1992

Eric Cameron 2X NCAA D1 Qualifer,wrestled at Indiana Univ. wrestled at Cin. Moeller in high school he won the Ironman and Poweraid

Bill Peace wrestled in college, from Batavia Ohio

John Roth, Andy Mulcahy and Stann Martin all wrestled in college. Pretty solid group.

Jim Matney - Sheldon Clark/Johnson Central

2 state tournament championships

2 state dual championships

21 ( I believe) individual state champions

What makes this such an accomplishments is the fact that he has very little resources. If you've ever been to Inez you would understand.

I have to add Kraeszig from X, and Quirino from River City, both great coaches on and off the mat. They teach the sport well but also the life skills and character development to make kids better individuals not just athletes. (and their entire coaching staffs)

In all honesty, what wrestling coaches aren't great guys on and off the mat? This sport teaches you everything you need to know about being a man and the coaches are the ones teaching it.

In all honesty, what wrestling coaches aren't great guys on and off the mat? This sport teaches you everything you need to know about being a man and the coaches are the ones teaching it.

In all honesty, I can't say that just because you are a coach that makes you a great guy on and off the mat. I have seen coach's with behavior unbecoming of someone who should be in their position. The in your face, break you down, instead of build you up type of behavior. The badmouthing of wrestlers, other coaches, and referees in front of their own team and others, does not set a good example. Excessive cussing, bad sportsmanship, the list goes on. Yes there are tons of great coaches out there, but just being a coach does ot necessarily make you great. Just my opinion.

I didn't say it did, but generally as a rule almost every coach I've seen has never been like that ... they are normally very courteous to their wrestlers and the other teams

I would like to throw Franklin County's coaching staff in the mix. They have really improved in the past few years. It seems like they are tough from the Elementary all the way up. They have a lot of good coaches, from Zac and Kore Donnelly, to Matt and Dave Johnson, to Corey Cardwell, Sean House, Brandon Sandifer, and Ethan Witt. They are a young coaching staff with a lot of knowledge and energy. But if you want the best of all time, its hard to argue with Coach Parks and Coach Carr. They did it, and did it right for a long time.

Tradition has beginnings and Mike Thomas, aka Loader really began the Union Co. legacy. He was the coach of the Ervin clan and look what they have accomplished with as someone said earlier with what they have had to work with. Dennis Walls also contributed alot to the wrestling community and he still is by trying to rebuild Trigg Co. I know that there are great coaches everywhere but there are only a few that really make being on a team part of something greater ---- a family. Good luck to all. and keep Sportsmanship alive.

Gotta give some props to Mike Bankemper. In his first year coaching, 1983, he took an average team and turned them into state runner-ups. Not to mention he also has 3 team state championships, granted its not the most by one coach but still impressive

• Upvote 1

Im not going to be bias and mention the man who coached me and I worked for for 17 years, his hall of fame status does that talking but here are some ideas some great coaches in this state

Joe and Joe Jr, great clinicians and teachers of the sport

Dave Barnes

Mike Bankemper - best teacher of leg riding I have ever seen

Kurt Laskia (not sure on spelling here) taken a bottom program and turned it into a winner with little support of the bigger programs (ie booster clubs, middle school programs)

Steve Fiser and Boo Kemper - the ability to get a big community behind them and motivate kids to be winners (just keep them away from mustard)

Larue County guys (Paden and Canter) Even though I got hit with a chair by one of them their first year at Larue in Frankfort, they have created loyalty and passion for the sprt and it has spread through out their community (ie how many ex Larue wrestlers have come back to coach or referee)

Ok I mention him, Phil Coomes, over 30 years , how many wrestles has he had the have won the state tourney or a top contender with less than 1 or 2 years experience.

First bigedcoach, I like the username! :D I also like the post about the LaRue boys. Not sure I remember the chair incident, but that makes us sound like some WWF tag team duo! Too cool and thanks! While I don't remember the chair incident, I do remember Gary after one particular final's match throwing his jacket and then kicking it across the floor of the Civic Center. The result was he had to sit out the first dual of the next year and I got my first and only win as a head coach. So my winning percentage as a head coach is much better than his and I remind him of that often.

You put together a good list (other than me being on there). And I will also give some cudos to coach Coomes. A true gentleman of the sport and a great coach.

First bigedcoach, I like the username! :D I also like the post about the LaRue boys. Not sure I remember the chair incident, but that makes us sound like some WWF tag team duo! Too cool and thanks! While I don't remember the chair incident, I do remember Gary after one particular final's match throwing his jacket and then kicking it across the floor of the Civic Center. The result was he had to sit out the first dual of the next year and I got my first and only win as a head coach. So my winning percentage as a head coach is much better than his and I remind him of that often.

Hahahahahahaha. That's hilarious. Next time I see him, I'll remind him of that! :D

I gotta put Russ Pike (Central Hardin) and Keith Smith (North Hardin) into this discussion as well.

If I ever have a question or need anything, there are four coaches I go to: Canter, Paden, Pike and Smith. Those four guys are pretty knowledgeable about the sport and are willing to help whenever I need it.

This discussion wasn't exactly defined, so it's wide open to interpretation. When I think of "some of KY's best coaches," I can't help but think about results (state champs, placers, team finishes, even region championships). There are plenty of coaches that I think are good guys or even do a great job, but my thoughts are limited to the more elite guys. Past results, I'm impressed by coaches who manage to do more with less, year-in and year-out.

In my era (90's forward), Rusty Parks had tremendous results, as has Coomes and Anderson. I know there are others, but these guys stick out to me.

When Coomes began to help at Western I commented that it is only a matter of time. Western is making a bit of a comeback. If he's there several more years, I predict some serious noise at state. Chuck Anderson. Have you ever seen the matroom at Seneca? And Seneca wasn't the first program that he made great.

• Upvote 1

This discussion wasn't exactly defined, so it's wide open to interpretation. When I think of "some of KY's best coaches," I can't help but think about results (state champs, placers, team finishes, even region championships). There are plenty of coaches that I think are good guys or even do a great job, but my thoughts are limited to the more elite guys. Past results, I'm impressed by coaches who manage to do more with less, year-in and year-out.

In my era (90's forward), Rusty Parks had tremendous results, as has Coomes and Anderson. I know there are others, but these guys stick out to me.

When Coomes began to help at Western I commented that it is only a matter of time. Western is making a bit of a comeback. If he's there several more years, I predict some serious noise at state. Chuck Anderson. Have you ever seen the matroom at Seneca? And Seneca wasn't the first program that he made great.

Yes Coach Anderson was tough as nails on the mat. Awesome man overall.

It would have to be the Carr's from Woodford . Come into the wrestling room during any weekend, vacation or holiday practice and you will see it filled with alumni! If that doesnt speak for itself.

Im not going to be bias and mention the man who coached me and I worked for for 17 years, his hall of fame status does that talking but here are some ideas some great coaches in this state

Joe and Joe Jr, great clinicians and teachers of the sport

Dave Barnes

Mike Bankemper - best teacher of leg riding I have ever seen

Kurt Laskia (not sure on spelling here) taken a bottom program and turned it into a winner with little support of the bigger programs (ie booster clubs, middle school programs)

Steve Fiser and Boo Kemper - the ability to get a big community behind them and motivate kids to be winners (just keep them away from mustard)

Larue County guys (Paden and Canter) Even though I got hit with a chair by one of them their first year at Larue in Frankfort, they have created loyalty and passion for the sprt and it has spread through out their community (ie how many ex Larue wrestlers have come back to coach or referee)

Ok I mention him, Phil Coomes, over 30 years , how many wrestles has he had the have won the state tourney or a top contender with less than 1 or 2 years experience.

The irony in the Coach Bankemper comment is that he would tell you that his intensions are not to make leg wrestlers. It seems to just happen and has become a Camels staple.