Sign in to follow this  
Jrodc

Future 5 timers ?

Joe Carr Jr, Brock Ervin, Chase Yost, David Carr (if you count him)... those are all the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

2 hours ago, Zeus said:

Joe Carr Jr, Brock Ervin, Chase Yost, David Carr (if you count him)... those are all the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

It's still very uncommon for an 8th grader to win the state title, at any weight. When the lights are on, a kid winning the big show as a middle schooler is something very special. I just can't recall it ever being done once at the upper weights. Going through the results KHSAA puts together gets really tiresome around 2010 so I stopped my search there. There were 0 middle schoolers that placed at 170+, while many 8th grade placers are seen at the lower weights. Even some 7th graders. You're pretty hard pressed to even find eighth graders that made it to state at 152+. 

27 minutes ago, justaref said:

It's still very uncommon for an 8th grader to win the state title, at any weight. When the lights are on, a kid winning the big show as a middle schooler is something very special. I just can't recall it ever being done once at the upper weights. Going through the results KHSAA puts together gets really tiresome around 2010 so I stopped my search there. There were 0 middle schoolers that placed at 170+, while many 8th grade placers are seen at the lower weights. Even some 7th graders. You're pretty hard pressed to even find eighth graders that made it to state at 152+. 

No no no no no... I agree with your points, about 8th graders at all weights and especially at the middle and upper weights.  Someone asked above for 8th graders that have won a title so I named the ones I could think of.

16 minutes ago, Zeus said:

No no no no no... I agree with your points, about 8th graders at all weights and especially at the middle and upper weights.  Someone asked above for 8th graders that have won a title so I named the ones I could think of.

Ah okay. You naming that few just made me realize how truly uncommon it is at any weight. Even some of the best wrestlers to come out of this state managed 3rd-8th or not placing their 7th/8th grade years. 

I think Bryce even placed 8th at 106 his 8th grade year if I'm not mistaken shows how tough to make a run at 5 really is..

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, tja said:

I think Bryce even placed 8th at 106 his 8th grade year if I'm not mistaken shows how tough to make a run at 5 really is..

It's also a 'stars aligning' kind of situation too in my opinion. Certain years the weights aren't as stacked, the top is 'thin', good draws, having great days all play a factor in this. For instance, if there's a 4 timer ending their senior year at 106 or 113, it's going to be very hard for an 8th grader to come in and beat him. Possible, but very unlikely. However, if there was a sophomore that won it last year at say 106, but isn't quite the wrestler the 4 timer I mentioned before is then it is theoretically more likely that an 8th grader could more easily win that match and lead to a potential 5 timer situation. Sometimes kids are just absolute studs and nothing else matters, but I think this is the case and the difference whether a great 8th grader wins state or not, the competition at the weight that year.

24 minutes ago, justaref said:

It's also a 'stars aligning' kind of situation too in my opinion. Certain years the weights aren't as stacked, the top is 'thin', good draws, having great days all play a factor in this. For instance, if there's a 4 timer ending their senior year at 106 or 113, it's going to be very hard for an 8th grader to come in and beat him. Possible, but very unlikely. However, if there was a sophomore that won it last year at say 106, but isn't quite the wrestler the 4 timer I mentioned before is then it is theoretically more likely that an 8th grader could more easily win that match and lead to a potential 5 timer situation. Sometimes kids are just absolute studs and nothing else matters, but I think this is the case and the difference whether a great 8th grader wins state or not, the competition at the weight that year.

1 hour ago, tja said:

Bryce placed 7th, 4 kids in that group went on to to be 2x finalist . Lawson moved . Bryce beat the winner Vega  the following year as a freshmen  11-1 in semis .

35 minutes ago, FalconWrestling said:

There are still seniors in low weight classes 106/113 that don't win their senior year. Mostly I'm referring to Travis Sullivan 

I think both Hernandez brothers were seniors 106/113 lost in finals 

1 hour ago, FalconWrestling said:

There are still seniors in low weight classes 106/113 that don't win their senior year. Mostly I'm referring to Travis Sullivan 

There are 7 middle schoolers in it this year at 106 two 7th graders Reece Goss and Asher Jones. And a ton of freshmen.

1 hour ago, tja said:

There are 7 middle schoolers in it this year at 106 two 7th graders Reece Goss and Asher Jones. And a ton of freshmen.

It's par for the course.

Got this from a quick search on Trackwrestling.com.  I would agree that there are not many Sr. and Jr wrestlers at 106 or even 113.  That's for obvious reasons though.   

106 lb

2017 8 middle school 2 7th 11 9th grade

2016 8 middle school 3 7th  10 9th grade

2015 9 middle school 2 7th    13 9th grade

2014 7 middle school 0 7th    14 9th grade

2013 7 middle school 2 7th   10 9th grade

• Upvote 1

To answer about the upper wts with middle school kids.  

Livingston Merritt Hoptown

7th 140 5th place

8th 152 4th place

just in case you are wondering

9th 189 3rd place

10th 215 1st place

11th 215 1st place

12th Hwt 1st place

On 2/12/2017 at 4:09 PM, tja said:

Debate won 

I don't get too excited about a 9th grader wining at 106 as that class shouldn't even be a varsity weight. The class is mostuly frosh and some soph. Very few juniors and Seniors. 

Too many forfeits as it is. Eliminate 106 in Ky followed by eliminating middle school particiapation in high school events. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

30 minutes ago, Nkawtg said:

I don't get too excited about a 9th grader wining at 106 as that class shouldn't even be a varsity weight. The class is mostuly frosh and some soph. Very few juniors and Seniors. 

Too many forfeits as it is. Eliminate 106 in Ky followed by eliminating middle school particiapation in high school events. 

Dumb...

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, grappler-of-old said:

To answer about the upper wts with middle school kids.  

Livingston Merritt Hoptown

7th 140 5th place

8th 152 4th place

just in case you are wondering

9th 189 3rd place

10th 215 1st place

11th 215 1st place

12th Hwt 1st place

Merritt was before my time, but that resume is incredible. Jumping nearly 40 lbs in one year is pretty wild too. Thank you for sharing.

I remember Harrison Courtney's run his 8th grade year. Joey Sanders (Wayne County) won a questionable match in the semis. I believe that was at 130? 

1 hour ago, Nkawtg said:

When I was in High School, 99lbs was the lowest class.  There are lots of good kids at 106.  I see no need to force them up to 113 by eliminating that weight class.  And I'm definitely not for not allowing middle schoolers to wrestle in high school.  If a kid can earn the spot and compete, let him wrestle.  

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Old wrestler said:

Merritt was before my time, but that resume is incredible. Jumping nearly 40 lbs in one year is pretty wild too. Thank you for sharing.

I remember Harrison Courtney's run his 8th grade year. Joey Sanders (Wayne County) won a questionable match in the semis. I believe that was at 130? 

Have to give credit to Sanders for doing what it took to win, but yes it was probably the biggest hose job I've ever seen, and I don't complain about officials often.

2 hours ago, Nkawtg said:

Heck yeah lets get rid of 106.  Why do we even let these small kids wrestle anyway *sarc*

Oh yeah because these little guys become bigger guys their Jr. and Sr. year.  

We already raised the weight since my day 98 then 105 were the 1st and 2nd wt. classes.  Lets give more kids reasons not to wrestle. 

I think someone else said it "dumb"

1 hour ago, rjs4470 said:

When I was in High School, 99lbs was the lowest class.  There are lots of good kids at 106.  I see no need to force them up to 113 by eliminating that weight class.  And I'm definitely not for not allowing middle schoolers to wrestle in high school.  If a kid can earn the spot and compete, let him wrestle.  

Doesn't that unfairly disadvantage private schools who don't enroll middle schoolers?