Sign in to follow this  
Jrodc

Future 5 timers ?

Yost has the best shot as of right now due to already winning a high school title as an 8th grader. The other youngsters mentioned are all very special talents, but haven't won anything on the high school level yet. But, of the ones mentioned other than Yost though, I think Moore probably has the best shot. 

Apples and oranges. It's not accurate to value a 106 or 113 title the same as others...and no 8th grader is going to win a high school state title above those weights. Which brings me to my point: why are middle schoolers competing in a "high school" state tournament!?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Harrison Courtney didn't win as an 8th grader, but was definitely the best wrestler in the state at 130 that year.  He went on to win three titles at 145 and the fourth at 160.  It's not common but not impossible.

Because they can. And I'm not taking anything away from any kid who puts 5 matches together and wins a title. Not an easy thing to do at any weight. Yost is a state champ bottom line. While it is less likely a ms kid wins a title at a higher weight, it can happen. Austin Meyers likely would have done it. Lawson almost pulled it off.  Courtney should have done it. Carr did it. Based on what I have seen this season, better watch out for Duke to challenge for it next year (not counting him out this weekend either). 

7 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

Because they can. And I'm not taking anything away from any kid who puts 5 matches together and wins a title. Not an easy thing to do at any weight. Yost is a state champ bottom line. While it is less likely a ms kid wins a title at a higher weight, it can happen. Austin Meyers likely would have done it. Lawson almost pulled it off.  Courtney should have done it. Carr did it. Based on what I have seen this season, better watch out for Duke to challenge for it next year (not counting him out this weekend either). 

Debate won 

• Upvote 1

High school is another level. Doesnt matter how many titles you win in middle school or how good you are once you hit the level where people have hit puberty. From personal experience, thats my take

33 minutes ago, Ranger123 said:

Anybody ever won it as an 8th grader that wasn't a held back a year ? 

10 minutes ago, Nike Man said:

Negative. Got beat by Woodring as a freshman. Won it as an 8th grader.

10 minutes ago, Nike Man said:

My mistake thought he was an eighth grader 

7 hours ago, Nkawtg said:

Apples and oranges. It's not accurate to value a 106 or 113 title the same as others...and no 8th grader is going to win a high school state title above those weights. Which brings me to my point: why are middle schoolers competing in a "high school" state tournament!?

How about David Carr vs Blackwell at 126. Hasn't Carr won the title since then? I know he moved to Ohio but I believe he has won it ever year since. 

• Upvote 1

Take middle schoolers out of the state tournament and you basically lose your lower weightclasses lol.. Senseless comment "how dare these young kids compete against older kids it aint right i tell ya" lol

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, tja said:

Take middle schoolers out of the state tournament and you basically lose your lower weightclasses lol.. Senseless comment "how dare these young kids compete against older kids it aint right i tell ya" lol

I think the sentiment of that comment was that it's much harder to win as a middle schooler at say, 126+. There are definitely anomalies that do well, but I don't recall anyone as an 8th grader winning state at any of those weights, especially when you get to 170(171)+. Like, to say that any middle schooler on the planet Earth would have beat Taylor Scherer at 215 his junior and senior is really just stretching the limits of possibilities. Someone like Myers or Scherer were phenoms in their own right but to win as an 8th grader at those weights would be so hard to do and if they did some how manage it, it would be more of a testament to them being very good and mature for their age. It's not uncommon for an 8th grader to win 106(103) or 113(112). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, justaref said:

I think the sentiment of that comment was that it's much harder to win as a middle schooler at say, 126+. There are definitely anomalies that do well, but I don't recall anyone as an 8th grader winning state at any of those weights, especially when you get to 170(171)+. Like, to say that any middle schooler on the planet Earth would have beat Taylor Scherer at 215 his junior and senior is really just stretching the limits of possibilities. Someone like Myers or Scherer were phenoms in their own right but to win as an 8th grader at those weights would be so hard to do and if they did some how manage it, it would be more of a testament to them being very good and mature for their age. It's not uncommon for an 8th grader to win 106(103) or 113(112). 

When you say uncommon how many have done it . I would not say it's common. Without knowing I'll bet it's under 10