Sign in to follow this  
take em to the mat

State finals location

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeX125 said:

I have heard Corbin arena next year and then maybe somewhere else (freedom hall?) later on.

I heard Murray State was a real possibility. Owensboro Sports Center as well. 

Owensboro is not a possibility. The venue is too small. Don't want Corbin- no wrestling in the area and not sure how the racial makeup of some of our teams would go over. in that area of the state. js

Murray would be cool, but the distance for other parts of the state wouldn't go over very well. I would think with the State tournament being moved back a week wouldn't Freedom Hall work? Lots of hotels in the area. Just need to get the parking situation fixed. 

I have heard Corbin as well and Freedom Hall may be too large. Some have suggested Broadbent Arena where they have the Middle School Finals, but it could be a bit tight. Something centrally located would be great so the schools in the Eastern and Western parts of the state do not have to drive forever to get there.

10 minutes ago, 8798 said:

I have heard Corbin as well and Freedom Hall may be too large. Some have suggested Broadbent Arena where they have the Middle School Finals, but it could be a bit tight. Something centrally located would be great so the schools in the Eastern and Western parts of the state do not have to drive forever to get there.

Freedom Hall did really well when it hosted the National Duals. It held 10 mats. With the growth of Girls wrestling, we would be able to host both tournaments at the same time. 

It needs to be tight; Let’s fill the stands and make it loud!  Broadbent I think would work as spectators on the floor wouldn’t impact the viewing of those in seats.  

• Upvote 1

Corbin is horrible.

I was told over the weekend bowling green is in the mix by someone.

venue has to be big enough to hold both guys and girls. 

Freedom hall would be great but they have to get parking Prices right.

Broadbent Arena is a horrible filthy mess.  If you think the dirt at the Horse Park is bad, try the seats and everything else at Broadbent.  Factor in virtually no consessions, less seats than Alltech and the fact you are not allowed to leave once you park and this would be a very bad choice.  Broadbent is OK for MS but Not good enough for HS.  

• Like 1

Going to Broadbent/Freedom hall may be a challenge unless they change the HS Schedule, as of now its booked that some weekend every year. Plus you have 2 other big events in Louisville that weekend.  

Im all for Freedom hall btw.  

I had heard BB&T arena in NKY put in a bid as well. 

Broadbent has worked well for our middle school and youth but as some have stated,  it has little to no concessions, the parking and the entry is horrible for the fans, access to the stands are from the competition floor only. Even with security, it is a logistic headache. No place for staging or warm up mats unless it’s out on the floor similar to horse park. Freedom Hall seems like the best option as long as parking and re entry is worked out to allow people to come and go freely. Plenty of hotels. Main highways from every part of the state leading in and out, and hotel and restaurants everywhere for the teams and fans. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 8798 said:

Middle school is not at broadbent this year as our new tournament date is already booked.

I hope its not the Horse Park the dirt kills if you have allergies and the floor is uneven with dips everywhere.  Unless they are willing to put down a wooden floor over the crappy white mats used now we should move on from there.

2 minutes ago, VisionQuest said:

If Murray is a possible choice lets throw in the expo center in Pikeville as a possible choice.  Not going to happen.

Not going to say it will happen but they did put a bid in for it. They did this before Christmas.