Sign in to follow this  
KYW

State Finals

How will state finals be set up this year? One mat or 4 like last year? Also, will they clear the arena and have people pay to get back in for finals again? 

11 minutes ago, KYW said:

How will state finals be set up this year? One mat or 4 like last year? Also, will they clear the arena and have people pay to get back in for finals again? 

The time table has been posted a couple times. As in other posts, according to time table and what I was told by advisory commitee members, one mat final in the middle. Placement rds start at 330, it does not mention any thing about clearing the arena 

1 hour ago, coachteater said:

The time table has been posted a couple times. As in other posts, according to time table and what I was told by advisory commitee members, one mat final in the middle. Placement rds start at 330, it does not mention any thing about clearing the arena 

Does anyone else like the one mat for the finals being at the one end of the arena?  It allows spectators to sit close and gives it a more intimate feel in general, in my opinion.

13 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Does anyone else like the one mat for the finals being at the one end of the arena?  It allows spectators to sit close and gives it a more intimate feel in general, in my 

I liked it, but if your team is on the other end, everyone has to change seating and fight for spots on one end. For this reason, I think it should be in center

4 hours ago, Wrestling Dad said:

Not to go back over old topics...

I wish they would move this back to Frankfort.  That was a great, great environment.

They cant, Civic Center can no longer host wrestling events due to its new configuration. 

Is there no intrest in Broadbent Arena i know it would be snug but i really like the set up and the atmosphere would be crazy..

45 minutes ago, tja said:

Is there no intrest in Broadbent Arena i know it would be snug but i really like the set up and the atmosphere would be crazy..

Where is it?

9 hours ago, Josh_Claywell said:

Plantman, I was there a few weeks ago and it looked as if nothing had changed. What new configuration?

They had to become ADA compliant and put handicap ramps in, which took up more floor space. You could only get two mats down on floor now.   

4 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

MSC regional ??????

Naia division with Campbellsville,  Lindsey Wilson, and Cumberland. The mats they are using were at state last year

10 hours ago, tja said:

Broadbent is great for Middle School.  I think it would be too tight for HS.  

I know the Horsepark isn't ideal, and has some issues.  But I just don't find it as bad as so many make it out to be.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

Broadbent is great for Middle School.  I think it would be too tight for HS.  

I know the Horsepark isn't ideal, and has some issues.  But I just don't find it as bad as so many make it out to be.  

We easily fit a big head table and 12 mats for Youth Sate over there. Spectators even had a 'track' (for lack of a better word) around the mats (though I wouldn't advocate this for high school honestly). The stands seated enough parents and families to host 800 kids for the morning session. How many spectators are actually there at AllTech? I remember there being A LOT of empty seats there last year. I actually think this 'tighter' venue would make everything much more exciting.

If it can't be in Frankfort then there needs to be an attempt to find a proper atmosphere once again. The horse park/AllTech just does not feel right. Maybe it's because the way they ran the 4 mat finals last year. Maybe it's the lack of a faceoff. I'm not entirely sure but I felt more excitement from a lot of regular season tournaments than I did watching the state tournament last year. Can ANYTHING be done to the lighting to make it more of a 'spotlight' or 'showdown' style of venue? Does it have to look so plain and bland? I'm not asking for an indoors Thunder Over Louisville but an ENORMOUS part of the Frankfort feel was the darkness of the spectating area and the lit up center of the stage. It made you feel something when you were wrestling or watching there.

1 hour ago, coachteater said:

Naia division with Campbellsville,  Lindsey Wilson, and Cumberland. The mats they are using were at state last year

OK I have my blinders on since it is STATE TIME

50 minutes ago, justaref said:

We easily fit a big head table and 12 mats for Youth Sate over there. Spectators even had a 'track' (for lack of a better word) around the mats (though I wouldn't advocate this for high school honestly). The stands seated enough parents and families to host 800 kids for the morning session. How many spectators are actually there at AllTech? I remember there being A LOT of empty seats there last year. I actually think this 'tighter' venue would make everything much more exciting.

If it can't be in Frankfort then there needs to be an attempt to find a proper atmosphere once again. The horse park/AllTech just does not feel right. Maybe it's because the way they ran the 4 mat finals last year. Maybe it's the lack of a faceoff. I'm not entirely sure but I felt more excitement from a lot of regular season tournaments than I did watching the state tournament last year. Can ANYTHING be done to the lighting to make it more of a 'spotlight' or 'showdown' style of venue? Does it have to look so plain and bland? I'm not asking for an indoors Thunder Over Louisville but an ENORMOUS part of the Frankfort feel was the darkness of the spectating area and the lit up center of the stage. It made you feel something when you were wrestling or watching there.

True.  There is certainly plenty of mat space.  And yes, it did accommodate a large youth state tourney.  Although, there were tons of people on the floor, which wouldn't be the case for the HS Tourney.  I never attended the Tourney in Frankfurt, so I really have no idea what that atmosphere was like.  But there are still states that hold their tourney's in a high school or college gym.  Despite the warts, I really don't think Alltech is all that bad.

The main concern about Alltech is the horse thing.  There are many students who have allergies. Not to mention spectators who have allergies.  I know personally of at least one wrestler and one coach that this has affected.  

Broadbent would be a great place for the state tournament in my opinion, yes you would have to rail off the wrestling mats because you can only enter the stands through the floor level unlike Alltech. That is one con for the Arena. It's a concrete floor so that's a pro for it. I think it would need more concessions for sure. We could get the atmosphere back in that arena. 

Alltech has never felt like home. I wrestled at State when it was at Atherton High School and I was also lucky enough to wrestle at the Civic Center in Frankfort. Frankfort had the best atmosphere of the three by far. I would be very interested in looking at Broadbent. I have heard a lot of really good things about it this year. The KHSAA could really do a better job finding us a new home.