Sign in to follow this  
Jrodc

Future 5 timers ?

14 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

Heck yeah lets get rid of 106.  Why do we even let these small kids wrestle anyway *sarc*

Oh yeah because these little guys become bigger guys their Jr. and Sr. year.  

We already raised the weight since my day 98 then 105 were the 1st and 2nd wt. classes.  Lets give more kids reasons not to wrestle. 

I think someone else said it "dumb"

Let them wrestle but call it what it is. A jv weight class. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Nkawtg said:

Doesn't that unfairly disadvantage private schools who don't enroll middle schoolers?

It hasn't seemed to hurt private schools thus far, not just in wrestling but in other sports as well.

23 hours ago, Note_taker45 said:

How about David Carr vs Blackwell at 126. Hasn't Carr won the title since then? I know he moved to Ohio but I believe he has won it ever year since. 

8th grader Carr winning at 126 was impressive. Very impressive. An 8th or 9th grader winning a tournament full of 13-15 year olds at 106 and calling it a high school state title is silly. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Nkawtg said:

Let them wrestle but call it what it is. A jv weight class. 

So Escelera, Mattingly, Pye and Deck are jv quality wrestlers??  What about the lack of depth in the upper weight classes, like 195-220??  Those classes are populated by mostly high school kids, and do have some very good wrestlers.  But typically, those weights don't have the depth other weight classes have, and certainly aren't any deeper than 106.

Many states don't allow middle schoolers to compete, but yet seem to fill the 106 class.  Middle schoolers filling 106 is more of a KY issue than a national issue.

8 minutes ago, Nkawtg said:
4 minutes ago, Nkawtg said:

You're not exactly unbiased, are you?

For what it's worth, Ranger's team has a junior at 106.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Nkawtg said:

I don't get too excited about a 9th grader wining at 106 as that class shouldn't even be a varsity weight. The class is mostuly frosh and some soph. Very few juniors and Seniors. 

Too many forfeits as it is. Eliminate 106 in Ky followed by eliminating middle school particiapation in high school events. 

Last time I checked frosh and soph are high school classes , didn't realize you had to be a     junior or senior to be considered in high school 

Our guy is wrestling a senior at 106 first round... I call the level of technique at the lighter weights way way way way above "JV"...

This dude is either 

1. Trolling.

2. Has zero knowledge about the sport of wrestling.

3. His kid got beat up by an 8th grader..

4. Lost his varsity spot to a middle schooler back in the day..

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, tja said:

This dude is either 

1. Trolling.

2. Has zero knowledge of the sport of wrestling.

Probably the 4th

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, REscalera said:

Citadel Wrestling.......takes a JV to know another.  

Why the insults?

El CID is anythjng but JV. Maybe you don't care for the military?  What gives?

106 is a JV weight class. It's full of middle schoolers, frosh and sophomores competing against each other. That's not what varsity athletics is supposed to be. 

8 hours ago, tja said:

This dude is either 

1. Trolling.

2. Has zero knowledge about the sport of wrestling.

1.  Just offering an opinion. 

2.  Major wrestling junkie since 5th grade and I'm old now. 

3. Uh, nope. 

4. DI wrestler who walked on and beat the kid on scholarship. I was a scholarship wrestler the next season. 

All Im saying is let the high school kids have their moment. Trae Blackwell should have been a state champ his senior year. Having to wrestle an all-world, non-high school 8th grader in the finals takes away from the high school experience. Also, crowning a weight class champion at a weight few if any upperclassmen compete in is ridiculous. That's what NHSCA grade levels are for. 

That makes zero since. If Trae was supposed to win a State Championship, he would have won a State Championship. The fact that he was a senior and got beat by an 8th grader absolutely defeats your argument of letting middle school kids wrestle up. Apparently an 8th grade Carr (JV by your standards) was the better man that day at the big boy varsity State Tournament. 

Here are some stats going into the IHSAA State Tournament this weekend.  (This was taken from Indiana Mat.  I'm not a statistician but I like to look at them!)

Worst record:0.526 (show this to kids that don't believe that record doesn't matter)

55 unranked wrestlers are wrestling at bankers life this weekend. That's about a quarter of those wrestling. (.2455357143 to be exact)

There are exactly 19 undefeated wrestlers going into the tournament

Freshmen: 18
Sophomores:29
Juniors:70
Seniors:107

There are 6 previous champions

133 wrestlers with no previous state experience

Average record %: .887

So that means that 169 wrestlers that were in the state rankings made it.  Not impossible for an unranked guy to make it but your chances are better if you are ranked.  There are always some unranked bracket busters in the ticket round at semi-state that makes the tournament exciting though!

NKAWTK;

What exactly are you trying to say?  

I believe that many teams in the state have 9th and 10th graders on their team in other sports.  I don't know the breakdown but maybe there are more 9th and 10th graders on special teams in football, or some other position in soccer.  Should we then get rid of that position? 

you have to look at 106 as a part of the entire team.  So what if there are a majority of underclassman in that weight-class?  Why is this a concern? 

You have to realize that wrestling appeals to the smaller kids.  What other sport can a small kid participate and compete in?  These kids are the heart of wrestling, if you take them out you will hurt wrestling drastically.  Wrestling continues to cater to the big guys. Adding a wt. class raising the max wt at HWT.  We do this and the quality of wrestling overall at the top 3 wt. classes are not close to as good as the rest of the wt. classes.  Don't get me wrong there are a few exceptional wrestlers at these wt. classes but top to bottom these are the weakest wt. classes overall. 

34 minutes ago, Nkawtg said:

Why the insults?

106 is a JV weight class. It's full of middle schoolers, frosh and sophomores competing against each other. That's not what varsity athletics is supposed to be. 

One of the best things about the sport of wrestling is the even playing ground. you do not have to be 6'7" tall to compete like in basketball, or weigh 300+ lbs like in other sports. people of all sizes can compete and do well. I was 119 my fresh. year too small for football.  eliminating smaller weights from competing would be discriminating to these athletes especially the 106 lb seniors.

10 hours ago, Nkawtg said:

You're not exactly unbiased, are you?

Actually yes. My position will not change on this long after my kids have moved on. I've always fought for the lighter weights and will continue to do so. MS coaches have discussed eliminating 70/75 from our lineups. But when you look at the list of kids who have come through those weights the QUALITY of wrestler that we are involving is off the charts for our state. As has been stated by many others, why would we hurt our sport by throwing out smaller kids with very few sports options and further hurt our numbers as well as the quality of our product. 

I haven't looked at the numbers, but my guess is the vast majority of the D1 wrestlers from KY have been 103/106 pounders at some point in their HS career. I wonder if that experience helped them to develop to the level they achieved?

1 hour ago, Nkawtg said:

Why the insults?

Only 8 of the 32 at 106 are middle school kids.