Sign in to follow this  
crevelett

MOW

In my opinion this award was given before the tournament ever started. I'm not taking anything away from Fahy at all, but we all know it was his award if he won. Given the results, Myers should have won MOW going away. Neither weight class was stacked, so that being said, you compare results match by match and it's not even close. Myers absolutely dismantled every guy in front of him, as did Fahy, but the domination displayed by Myers is without rival. Mpire, I realize you are proud of your boys and you should be, but let their performance on the mat speak for them. The drama you may or may not create for them is a liability that may cost them in the future.

• Upvote 2

If the Myers' brothers had a sane father then this might be worth discussing. Until that day, I say congratulations to Fahy on an excellent career and a well-deserved MOW. Also, congrats to both Myers boys for wrestling excellent tournaments...

If the Myers' brothers had a sane father then this might be worth discussing. Until that day, I say congratulations to Fahy on an excellent career and a well-deserved MOW. Also, congrats to both Myers boys for wrestling excellent tournaments...

I think that the Myers looked like great wrestlers as well, no one is doubting that. You bring up a good argument. Lets say that Austin actually does get to stay at one school through his HS career(doubtful), he dominates everyone and never gets the OW award. I would say this is solely because of his Fathers antics. It's sad but you think that Dad would realize this and just keep quiet. Something must truly be wrong with him if he cannot see how his words and antics are actually hurting his kids in some ways. It would not suprise me if these two young men have some serious "daddy" issues when they get older. I hope I am wrong.

Actually, the MOW is a popularity contest, pure and simple. Empire, don't get so upset. There are a lot of people on here who openly say they voted for a career, not a performance at the tournament as the MOW is suposed to be. I'm sure Fahey got the award also because he is a senior. Good for him. Glad he got to cap off a good career with a pat on the back. Because that's all it is. To me, the MOW doesn't mean s%$t. Just a popularity vote. Record books are what counts. I know the Myers boys have moved here and there, but I do believe they have won State a few times themselves wherever they were. So who really cares? I know Austin is a BA wrestler. And I. The records and who all Stephen and Fahey have wrestled. Ill take Stephen all day and twice on Sunday. A lot of people knew for a fact the Myers were going to be beaten by this one that one. Guess what... proved em all wrong huh? Talk is cheap, so let these guys do all that. Tell your boys to just keep winning titles and laughing at them all the way to the podium.

• Upvote 1

Congratulations John Fahey and thankyou for the fine example you and your family have given kentucky wrestling,if all of our champions carried themselves as well as you kentucky would be known as the most honorable wrestling state.May God bless you and your family in all that you do.

• Upvote 4

next year it should be stephen's, next year he will have a full year under his belt, and will be able to certify at a lower weight, or wrestle up again. but i do think that the cooper/myers debate will be settled at some point next year. i hope sthephen decides to wrestle wherever cooper is, should be a phenominal match, and if it goes down, i hope i am there to see it. both are super athletes and talented, i hope one day my kids will be half as good as these two. btw, i'll take stephen by 4

• Upvote 1

next year it should be stephen's, next year he will have a full year under his belt, and will be able to certify at a lower weight, or wrestle up again. but i do think that the cooper/myers debate will be settled at some point next year. i hope sthephen decides to wrestle wherever cooper is, should be a phenominal match, and if it goes down, i hope i am there to see it. both are super athletes and talented, i hope one day my kids will be half as good as these two. btw, i'll take stephen by 4

Well said!

The scarey thing is, Stephen will admit he was not even in mat shape. He completely dominated this year at the state tournament.

No big deal, just a couple of quick points...

Mr. Myers, Cooper did not lose to anyone this year that Stephen has beaten in the past. He was 68-0 this season including beating several OH, TN, and KY state placers. No disrespect for your boys, I'd like to see the Cooper/S. Myers match-up myself. I just like to see the facts posted.

The MOW ballot actually states "Please rank two individuals based on their performance this weekend (not historical, but this weekend)." Admittedly, I voted for Fahey/Yenter. Why? I don't think you can separate the career from the tournament. Generally speaking the weight class is easier at state because of the outstanding career.

Well said!

The scarey thing is, Stephen will admit he was not even in mat shape. He completely dominated this year at the state tournament.

Give the boys a full year and it will be very scary. I was only able to watch the finals so my take on their performance is somewhat muted. I thought Stephen overwhelmed his opponent. He hit shots from everywhere. Austin was more difficult to get a handle on as Newberry "turtled up". Newberry gutted it out on a bad wheel, I give him credit for that. Newberry seemed content to not get pinned. I would have dinged him early with a stalling call and dinged him again to get him to try to improve from bottom. Austin should have been instructed to cut him and put on a takedown clinic, as it was apparent Newberry did not want to wrestle from bottom. A freshman winning in a weight class usually dominated by upperclassmen is to be applauded. I just wish I could have seen more of his abilities. It is difficult to showcase your talent when your opponent is unwilling to go toe-to-toe with you.

• Upvote 1

Really ,how about Luke Kern at super 32 and I know Kevin won swowca by a point against Campbell who would without a doubt in my mind get at least majored by Stephen,Funny I know the rules for an Ow but no one seemed to follow them sure steph will be 45 or 52 again next yr but I'm betting 45 soooooooo,Kevin has been bigger for quite a while but Stephen doesn't like cutting Swowca will be fun Stephen will win it ,regardless it is his tournament his side of town and ran by people he will not lose in front of it will be fun and no one will walk of the Matt with him without getting at least majored . That's right no one from ky or moe it's just the way it is

Fahys great and Kevin Coop is too, but Stephen would probably work both of them pretty soundly, he looked insane, he would have majored jacob murton back in the day. Fahy deserved MOW though, he took his 9th title, i dont care wat the qualifications are im glad he got it

I voted for fahy first and the winner of the the ervin/ rushelle match second. Most people agreed with me. Not many people gave Brock love and was confident tj w6ould win...we all knew It would be a crazy match tho!

Congrats but 4 pins and a tech quickest pin and most pins in shortest time and no one scoring a point or lasting a match all year wwould probably get someone an OW without doubt in most states ,just sayin

IN OH if a fresh won 220 he would get it automatic even over that performance but what do i know i am just some dad

Mpire is right....sorry folks and grappler-of-old especially.....MOW is for the tourney just wrestled, not lifetime accomplishments......In my day you had to earn it at the tournament just wrestled......I wrestled many years and never have seen it done like this.....This includes State tournament, Nationals ect......

I love John Fahy and all he has done for Kentucky wrestling, but Stephan Myers, Kevin Cooper or Brock Ervin should have been top vote getters....Stephan being my choice !

Lifetime awards are meant for after season banquets ect........Just sayin' !!!!!!!!

Trust me it will be automatic pick a class for him 95 220 or hvy it doesnt matter he will pin them all from here on out ,the last kid to beat Austin in a folkstyle match was this kid named BO JORDAN and there aint no BO JORDANS gonna move in to or come from Kentucky

If I remember correctly Bo beat him up pretty bad. Wasn't it like a 2nd period Tech Fall? 17-2 or something like that.

Not sure but it was bad ,and Austin went through the field to prove everyone wrong a real sixth grader against An 8th grade Bo Jordan It was awesome my boys trained in the basement both made finals steph won OW and Austin showed why he would become great ,for the record a sixth grader in finals at oac is ba ,Bo himself didn't even do it as a sixth grader.Austin has been beaten up by the best Bo Isaac Jordan Mark Martin ,studs when you wrestle jr high Iron Man as a fifth grader it happens and yeah he almost stuck Martin as a fifth graderl lol.

Thirdround: Wrestlers in Ky have won MOW for thier career several times in KY

1981 There were co MOW's (Robert Ervin) Robbie Clarkston (1st 4X state champ in KY)

1986 David Ritchie (3rd state title)

1994 Bruce Stepp (3rd state title) The only HWt to win MOW

2002 Isaac Knable (4th state title) He did win MOW in 2001 also.

2006 Jacob Murton (3rd state title) He did win MOW in 2004

History shows that winning MOW for lifetime achievment at the state tourney is not that unusual.

• Upvote 1

1981 There were co MOW's (Robert Ervin) Robbie Clarkston (1st 4X state champ in KY)

History shows that winning MOW for lifetime achievment at the state tourney is not that unusual.

Totally understand....must be a Kentucky tradition then ! I wrestled in New York, Pennsylvania and California and travelled the country to Iowa City, Oregon and Long Beach California for Nationals......Years of wrestling....many Championships and always the BEST wrestler of the tournament was chosen MOW.....If Kentucky coaches do it that way, then Kentucky coaches do it that way !!!!! Maybe another award needs to be presented at State ..."Career MOW" for Seniors......Been there and done most of it....Just never did it like they do here !

Congrats to not only an outstanding wrestler but to an outstanding kid and his family. I personally think that his and his families character, integrity and longevity wrestling in the state did have bearings on this award and rightfully so.

I can think of one MOW who clearly won it based on a single state tournament performance, and that was Josh Stepp of Sheldon Clark (Bruce Stepp's cousin) in 1999. He was definitely an underdog that year, having lost in the Region 4 finals to John Gentry, but had a great tournament run without a single close match.

Congrats to not only an outstanding wrestler but to an outstanding kid and his family. I personally think that his and his families character, integrity and longevity wrestling in the state did have bearings on this award and rightfully so.

For the record from day 1 people came on this site made comparisons and comments about how kids who came to ky would learn as Hall did that they would not dominate ,people set in motion and pushed buttons from the start

And then when even after keeping kids of the Matt an making them wrestling up and away from your chosen ,people still had to make excuses for not giving a kid his due ,that speaks volumes about character , the kids who endured the layoffs and wrestled up and had the best performances of the day or accomplished the things previously never done before ,gave you state a lesson in character ! Make veiled or outright attacks on parents who take up for their kids or who do what is in their best interest and you show that the person speaking of character knows little of its meaning .my kids were ky grade school champs themselves probably would have been every yr from 1st grade everyone has a history some more impressive than others .it seems coaches ignored rules as far as ow is concerned and I thought Fahy already won one nevertheless it's over and done one kid came and did what he could like so many others I just think sometimes you have a great moment hate seeing some unfair hypocritical people ruin one kids moment you only live once there are no re dos some people should be ashamed and it's not anyone at CC or any Parents in Wilder . I'm sure some good ole boys will find a reason to diminish a kids accomplishments but but it only makes themselves look bad do you honestly think anyone outside of KY looking at the results isn't going to wonder why a kid who did what Stephen did was not awarded OW,blame patents character whatever it is what it is on the Matt ,

I wonder of Austin will get ow if he wins 4 , and I am looking forward to Myers vs Lampe Evidently someone has an agenda but so do I and I don't have to sneak around and try to weasel info from people keep it up i will bring him to Louisville and he will school your kid 1 good time your grade school tactics trying to scope someone out can't work on someone who cannot be scoped out lol

yeah , that was the year William Randle should have won MOW, he won state with out giving up a takedown all season and really was only scored on once all season, most points that were given up were cut aways. Undersized for his weigh class, natural weight 163 wrestled 171. Had the flu the weekend of the state tournament , so his semis and finals matches were not very dominant but still really didnt give any points up except for a stalling point which probably cost him MOW because he was out of gas (he weighed in at 158 that day

Randle was actually more impressive in 98'. I believe he pinned through to the finals beating a couple wrestlers who had beat him earlier in the year. He just couldn't beat Ian Horn. Horn won MOW 98'.