Sign in to follow this  
Kleerly

Questions About State

My biggest question is why in the world was the arena so dark for the finals? They turned the lights down for the introdctions and they never came back on? The one strip of lights made it hard to see very good.

I like the floor size, location, parking of the arena. $15 is a little steep but at least it was just a two day event.

1. Did you like the Alltech arena better?

2. Were tickets too much?

3. What hotel did you stay in?

4. What is in Jayce Carr's backpack?

1. I liked the facilities but I miss the atmosphere of Frankfort.

2. Didn't have to pay. Had a coaches pass

3. In Lexington

4. He is homeless, and that is where he keeps all his belongings.

Overall it sounds like the KY Tourney was a big success. Congrats to all the kids on a great season.

It's great for us who couldnt attend to be able to watch on the net.

So, I can only comment on what it looked like on the video.

But it looked like they needed a big mat light and different covering for the floor.

Overall the wrestling seems to continue to improve each year, congrats to all!

I'm guessing the backpack if full of medals?

• Upvote 1

1. Loved the new arena. Much much better than Frankfort

2. Ticket prices were about the same as last year if I remember correct. Didn't notice any significant change in price

3. Stayed at the Clarion

4. I am guessing same thing as Brock and Trey were carrying around. Seems to work. I would like to know. I would put a back pack filled with the same on my sons back.

There are still improvement to be made at the new arena but I think its a great place to have the state tournament and I hope it stays there for years to come

1. Not sure yet. I think it was probably better for the wrestlers, but maybe not the fans, We were closer to the action at Frankfort. They said we broke an attendance record but it didn't look like it. The atmosphere especially in the finals was not what it use to be.

2.. Ticket prices are about the same.

3. G-town

4. If I had to guess I would think it was the hammer of Thor. Oh wait a minute that belongs to another wrestler/Norse god.

Ok maybe a little chiwawa dog to keep him calm during the big time matches.

My complaints or things that need to be changed or improved.

1. Bigger scoreboards on the mats. Old farts like me can't see the score and the time very well on those tiny scoreboards

2. TO LONG ON SAT. Maybe go 4-6 mats for semi-finals instead of just 2. or have 2 center mats with semi-finals and the other 4 for conso's at the same time.

3. Are you kidding me telling the fans that all the balls that end up on the mat floor will remain there?

Thanks to Coach McCoy and Coach Riordon for kicking some back into the stands and also to Mrs. Ruschell for doing the same on the other side.

I liked the arena, but the atmosphere was absolutely gone after the finals introductions. Maybe it was the long day taking its toll, but it just didn't feel like the state finals.

As far as the late start, something's gotta change next season. Use more mats for semifinals or whatever, but 8:15 is way too late of a start.

1. Not sure yet. I think it was probably better for the wrestlers, but maybe not the fans, We were closer to the action at Frankfort. They said we broke an attendance record but it didn't look like it. The atmosphere especially in the finals was not what it use to be.

2.. Ticket prices are about the same.

3. G-town

4. If I had to guess I would think it was the hammer of Thor. Oh wait a minute that belongs to another wrestler/Norse god.

Ok maybe a little chiwawa dog to keep him calm during the big time matches.

My complaints or things that need to be changed or improved.

1. Bigger scoreboards on the mats. Old farts like me can't see the score and the time very well on those tiny scoreboards

2. TO LONG ON SAT. Maybe go 4-6 mats for semi-finals instead of just 2. or have 2 center mats with semi-finals and the other 4 for conso's at the same time.

3. Are you kidding me telling the fans that all the balls that end up on the mat floor will remain there?

Thanks to Coach McCoy and Coach Riordon for kicking some back into the stands and also to Mrs. Ruschell for doing the same on the other side.

Semis on two mats was nice because you could actually watch the matches. This is the best round of the tourney, I'd hate to try to watch 6 of these matches at one time.

The biggest problem I saw was running the quarters on Saturday. I think they need to go late on Friday with the quarters and Saturday will be shortened by about an hour and a half. It also makes much more sense for the wrestlers. If they had done this we would have been out at about 10:30 on Friday and the finals would have started at about 6:30

Friday should be run with 7 mats, 8 might be too many if a team has many kids up at the same time, but 7 would let them get another round in probably on Friday or at bare minimum a half a round like the 1.5 on Thursday. Then back down to 6 for Saturday and the semifinals definitely should have been done on 4 mats. That was the longest round of the whole tournament, it was over 2.5 hours.

Friday should be run with 7 mats, 8 might be too many if a team has many kids up at the same time, but 7 would let them get another round in probably on Friday or at bare minimum a half a round like the 1.5 on Thursday. Then back down to 6 for Saturday and the semifinals definitely should have been done on 4 mats. That was the longest round of the whole tournament, it was over 2.5 hours.

I agree with you 100%, watching the semis seemed to drain the life out of the crowd and competitors. The semis are sometime the hardest fought bouts of the tourney and seem to last the whole six minutes if not longer. They should at least run them on 4 mats.

Great venue. Didn't like that u had to walk 2 miles to get down to the floor. And Friday needs 8 mats get those first rounds over. Then got to six mats on sat. 4 mats for the semis Is a must it worked so well before. Also needs to fid a way to cover up the floor the mats are on. And food is still out rageous.

Wasn't there last year to compare, but I liked the arena, though it got cold at times. Taking pics of the awards was awkward. Plus, with a family of 6, it was too expensive. With going to 2 days, it must have made for the late night. We didn't get home until after 1am. Times are still tough, charging the $15 and $25 admission plus keeping us there all day to have to buy food was a little on the usuarous side. Thankfully, we were able to bring in snacks and leave to go to McD and Subway. But I did think they kept the matches going well and was organized. It's too bad the officials stopped the fun w/ the inflatable balls and such. Binoculars are a great idea for next year. I did like the fact that they had recycling bins. But with that record attendance, a big stadium is necessary. That many people did pay those prices. But I don't see us taking our whole family again next year with those prices, unless they can offer a family price.

1. No missed the atmosphere of the civic center.

2. About the same as last year.

3. Stayed 3 miles away in Lexington.

4. Medals and trophies collected during the year.

I would like to know who the genius was that thought the scoreboards where ok to put on the outside of the mats? They blocked everyones view especially in the finals. Hopefully this is fixed for next year.

1. HATED it there. The arena was too big wasted space for seating for a sporting event, the concrete floor in stands was nasty (if you spilled anything it soaked into the concrete--wonder what had been soaked up before we got there? You really think covering up dirt that has had horse poo in it does not have a funky odor, or pose problems for the kids and fans that have allergies? Major inconvenience to go back to lodging or retrieve anything forgotten or just needed ASAP. No place for participants to relax without kids running all over, at least they could walk back to motel and rest. Lighting stunk, no spotlight, hard to see the finals event. Remeber there are people in the stands that have to walk the miles to get there and go to bathroom, go to the one shirt sales area. I agree with GOO--really balls on floor stay there. One way in not letting parents take pictures at medal stand, come on. And the 3M mat was a good idea but hey tell the kids first so they do not run across the mat to sign in. All in all not real happy with many of the decisions that KHSAA has made this year! Do not think that they should ever have it there again. 2. About the same 3. Lexington (THE Shining)

4. Pink Laces to support Breast Cancer Cause!

I have always been told if its not broke do not fix it!

The youth tournament today had 10 full size mats down no problem.

Was this with the stage up as well or was the stage down? Also was the podium area taken down? I think the arena could have easily fit 8 and not have it crammed together.

I am wondering what the coaches think about it being moved to KHP. I spoke to quite a few coaches and they liked it better at KHP than at Frankfort.

Was this with the stage up as well or was the stage down? Also was the podium area taken down? I think the arena could have easily fit 8 and not have it crammed together.

I am wondering what the coaches think about it being moved to KHP. I spoke to quite a few coaches and they liked it better at KHP than at Frankfort.

They took the stage down as I was leaving the arena last night. Someone -- I don't know who -- was trying to force the rest of the media left off the stage. I had just gotten everything finished and filed, but I know there was one guy left who lost his setup on the stage.

Come on mom this wrestling the toughest sport there is a little horse poop won't hurt anybody.

It is not so much the poo and I live where I step in it OUTSIDE all the time. But inside arenas that have a dirt floor are awful for kids with asthma and for those elderly spectators with breathing conditions. Health wise the place was awful I would love to see if there are any codes that would check the air quality coming out of the vents. More people were complaining of headaches I even saw several people, men, women, and kids having nose bleeds and these were the spectators. the concrete floor had a stain of dirt on it. No wonder some of the kids felt lousy and tired. Just sayin what most mommas are thinking and I know men think that us women do not need to even comment on here but I still HATED it there and hope and pray that KHSAA will make one decent decision this year by not having it on any dirt floor place again.

Also it is really crappy for folks not to be able to take pictures with their child after the tourney on the podium and to charge 8-5 bucks a picture is absurd. Only group shots too, no individual ones. AGAIN KHSAA get a grip All-tech stinks.

1. Overall the arena was great, there are things that can make it better. It was very different than Frankfort.

2. Coaches pass

3. Lexington

4. The shirt I was wearing, he pulled it right out of his bag, I know what else is in there but I'm not telling!!!!