Sign in to follow this  
CCFullerHWT

Raider Rumble

I heard Larue isnt going to Raider rumble so will another team replace them beacuse i know this is a 16 team set up tournament????

No, I believe all the number one seeds will get the bye. :evil:

Wave Wrestling Looking at Best Season in Years

Veteran Squad Returns Six Wrestlers Who Placed at State a Year Ago

by Lloyd Combs

Sports Reporter     

No excuses.

That's the attitude, says Grundy wrestling coach Travis Fiser, the Golden Wave wrestling squad needs to make this its best season in quite some time.

Grundy has a veteran team, with six wrestlers back who placed at state last year, including three who have been to the state finals. And the Golden Wave is a young team, too, with just two seniors and another strong freshman class.

Junior Sean Vandyke returns at 112 pounds after reaching the state finals two years in a row. Also returning are Jeremy Hurley, who reached the state finals as a freshman and was third last year at 119 pounds, and senior Ethan Owens, who was in the state finals as a sophomore, and on his way back last season when he suffered a hip injury in the semifinals and wound up sixth. Ethan will wrestle at 140 pounds.

Those three and several others are more than capable of becoming Grundy's first individual state champions since Albert Childress and J.T. Pruitt in 2003. Individual champions is the main goal. Fiser said concentrate on that and the team's goals, which include contending with seven-time defending team champ Christiansburg, will take care of themselves.

"The goal this year is to have as many state champs as we can get, by being as good in the first minute as we are in the last minute," Fiser said. "We need the attitude of 'no excuses', and to keep wrestling when we're tired and expect to win every time we step on the mat. That kind of attitude brings success and that will bring home state champs."

what will the 125 bracket look like?

1  Ryle  Michael Osborne  12

2  SK  Kevin Cooper  9

3  Scott  Steve Supe  12

4  Way Co  Luke Troxell  10

5  Wood Co  Mack Logsdon  12

6  Laf  Jimmy Lacy  11

7  TC  Zac Brown  12

8  JC  Jayce Carr  9

9  Old Co  Daniel Brenneman  11

10  Pad Til  Zach Pitman  11

11  Chr Co  Kory Polley  9

12  Tri  Brandon Birk  11

13  Sou  Chris Barrett  12

14  St X  Ryan Barnett  12

15  Eas  Joe Rupp  9

how many of these kids will be there?  just curious how this weight class shakes out this yr. looks tough.

I heard something about Mark Hall being a bad dude. Why isn't he seeded?

Seeding criteria is your placement at districs, regional and state last year. (Primarily-It can sometimes get down to head to head competitions, results with same opponent, etc)  But since he has never wrestled varsity before he has no results.  Two years ago a freshman from Graham, who was obviously unseeded since he had no placement in the OH state tourney the prior year, met up with Brian Peace, who I believe was the number 1 or 2 seed, in the first round at the Holiday Tournament (GMVWA).  Brian lost in the first round to an unseeded freshman who went on to win the thing. 

Lots of tough wrestling yesterday at the Rumble.  Many great matches with all the kids going at it hard all day.  A tough tournament at the beginning of the year with most wrestling 5 matches.  Congrats to all the champs and placers.  The Raider loyal want to thank everyone who came and supported us.  Also want to congratulate our kids on finally winning their own tournament.

Way to go Ozzie!!!!

he's 12 years old, and an absolute phenom.  lost to Myron Bradbury 7-5 in a nail biter at the raider rumble.  he beat a kid who took 3rd in Virginia from Grundy, 10-0.  you can google him and read up a lot on him, he's on flowrestling.com, he is an awesome wrestler.  he moved in from Michigan, and he's wrestling 119 for Ryle.  I would guess he'll be in the finals with Myron at state.  this is not an urban legend, he is awesome!  you won't believe your eyes when you see him wrestle when you realize he's 12 years old. 

Union looked to have a real youthful squad there. Watch out for Keaton Thomas when he gets his stamina back. he could definitely make some waves at 130. What you think Ranger?

Union looked to have a real youthful squad there. Watch out for Keaton Thomas when he gets his stamina back. he could definitely make some waves at 130. What you think Ranger?

Yes, I was impressed with Thomas.  When I finally get the update posted (tonight or tomorrow) you will see him moving up the list.

he's 12 years old, and an absolute phenom.  lost to Myron Bradbury 7-5 in a nail biter at the raider rumble.  he beat a kid who took 3rd in Virginia from Grundy, 10-0.  you can google him and read up a lot on him, he's on flowrestling.com, he is an awesome wrestler.  he moved in from Michigan, and he's wrestling 119 for Ryle.  I would guess he'll be in the finals with Myron at state.  this is not an urban legend, he is awesome!  you won't believe your eyes when you see him wrestle when you realize he's 12 years old.

Is Mark Hall the only Michigan wrestler on Ryle?  I had heard that there were 1 or 2 others coming then moving back after the season.  I was at a tournament in Ohio last weekend and some dad asked me about it.  He was interested for his son who is 7th grade in Ohio and wants to wrestle a year of HS in Ky.

Is Mark Hall the only Michigan wrestler on Ryle?  I had heard that there were 1 or 2 others coming then moving back after the season.  I was at a tournament in Ohio last weekend and some dad asked me about it.  He was interested for his son who is 7th grade in Ohio and wants to wrestle a year of HS in Ky.

i believe the rest of their lineup are all kids that came up through their feeder program.  103, 215, & hwt, I didn't see who they had or know who they were....but they weren't spectacular like Hall.  they just have a very solid lineup. 

[/quote

Wow! That has got to stop or, our discussion as to the best ever in Ky won't mean much. I have no problem if a student chooses to go school and live here ala the Murton bros. But, if the folks up north think they can come to Bluegrass as middle schoolers just to add state titles to their resumes and finish their HS careers up there, well there is something wrong with that.

Sincerely,

OJ Mayo