Sign in to follow this  
sneaky snake

Who was the best KY high school wrestler in the past decade?

Listen i'm not saying Courtney wasn't dominate cause he was. I just remember watching Ruschell wrestle and just being "wowed". In high school wrestling esp. in Kentucky i never seen anyone so fluid and explosive and technical and smart. Kyle never seemed out of position. Same way with both Murton brothers. I just remember watching Kyle wrestle and being like he is going to be Big time one day.

I think Brad Hitchings is on his way to being that way.  I have been impressed by his aggressiveness and technique.  He never seems intimidated by anyone.  Even when he was wrestling Cooper Samuels from Indiana, (has that been two years ago now...wow) he took the first shot and was the aggressor most of the match.  He just looks like he is still having fun.

I guess it depends on if you're asking who the best wrestler is as in who is more skilled or who wins the most.  Ruschell was better skilled, at least on his feet, but Courtney obviously won more.  I'd say the Murtons were more skilled as well but I think part of their edge was just straight confidence.  They came down here and knew they were going to kill everybody, like it wasn't even a possibility that they would lose; Courtney had a similar confidence his last two years.  Again I have a hard time putting the Murtons on the list as KY wrestlers when they clearly were very good before they came.

I think everyone is overlooking Brad Cooper.  He was 3 points from being a 4 timer himself.  He had a couple matches that were close in points, but he was never in any threat of losing them.  He never seemed to working hard and everything seemed easy to him.

Why is there no mention of Taylor Scherer? 

I always thought he was very good but for some reason the big guys never impress me as much as the others.  Another guy to mention would be John Wolfsiefer.  If he had wrestled his senior year and possibly beat Mitch Ervin there would be no debate that he should be in the debate.  That would of been one great match.  Ill throw Scott Cooper, Mason Reid, and Bryan Peace out there as some honorable mentions.

My top 5 of the decade

Jacob Murton

Harrison Courtney

Brad Cooper

Richard Starks

Kyle Ruschell(#1 if you consider College Career)

Listen i'm not saying Courtney wasn't dominate cause he was. I just remember watching Ruschell wrestle and just being "wowed". In high school wrestling esp. in Kentucky i never seen anyone so fluid and explosive and technical and smart. Kyle never seemed out of position. Same way with both Murton brothers. I just remember watching Kyle wrestle and being like he is going to be Big time one day.

I completely agree, Rushell & Brad Cooper are the 2 wrestlers I remember watching and being "wowed" by.  I also have to admit that John Fahy too.  I remember seeing him as like a 6th grader wrestle and learning stuff from him. 

Old140, I would have the same exact list...might change the order, but those are the top 5 i've seen.

I always thought he was very good but for some reason the big guys never impress me as much as the others.  Another guy to mention would be John Wolfsiefer.  If he had wrestled his senior year and possibly beat Mitch Ervin there would be no debate that he should be in the debate.  That would of been one great match.  Ill throw Scott Cooper, Mason Reid, and Bryan Peace out there as some honorable mentions.

My top 5 of the decade

Jacob Murton

Harrison Courtney

Brad Cooper

Richard Starks

Kyle Ruschell(#1 if you consider College Career)

All valid points and I'm glad that someone pointed out Scherer and Wolfsiefer.  Scherer was a beast who quietly and consistently got the job done and was seldom challenged, definitely deserves to be in the top ten.  There is never more than 5 or 6 kids who wrestle 215 that have any talent or superior skill: thus, making it easy to overlook Taylor because of the depth of the 215 weight class.  Wolfsiefer has to on the list despite the disapointing finish of his career. John had amazing skill and aggressiveness but seemed to lack focus.  Truth be told, I always held out hope that Wolfsiefer would get back into wrestling and make a name for himself at the next level. John was always my favorite wrestler to watch, he went straight at people often throwing caution to the wind.

All valid points and I'm glad that someone pointed out Scherer and Wolfsiefer.  Scherer was a beast who quietly and consistently got the job done and was seldom challenged, definitely deserves to be in the top ten.  There is never more than 5 or 6 kids who wrestle 215 that have any talent or superior skill: thus, making it easy to overlook Taylor because of the depth of the 215 weight class.  Wolfsiefer has to on the list despite the disapointing finish of his career. John had amazing skill and aggressiveness but seemed to lack focus.  Truth be told, I always held out hope that Wolfsiefer would get back into wrestling and make a name for himself at the next level. John was always my favorite wrestler to watch, he went straight at people often throwing caution to the wind.

People don't seem to understand how good John Wolsiefer was. I've wrestled Courtney. I've wrestled Mitch. I've wrestled Johnny. Though he may have lacked focus, he was the baddest cat on the block. Period. Regardless of having a couple of matches that were kind of close, those kids he wrestled that were close matches were nowhere near him. He would hands down win over anyone he was put against. Instincts, skill, aggression, everything. Johnny was the best. If anyone doesn't put him on the list, they're crazy.

I'm sorry and I apologize to anyone who may disagree.

However.  You cannot put someone on this list that couldn't even get it together to finish his career.  Wrestling is a mental challenge that many cannot handle.  If you cannot get it together mentally you cannot be considered one of the greatest. 

This is the opinion of GOO

Take it or leave it.

I alway thought Richard Starks was a sure win during his matches. He is having great college career too! He led his team to how many state titles while winning a few himself.

I also really enjoyed watching Derek Scott, SO. I think he was 2 or 3 time champ.

I saw him wrestle a lot, very aggressive, no stopping, very tenacious.

Yeah, I thought long and hard about Wolsiefer.  He was definitely a family favorite.  My wife's favorite to watch.  She always referred to him as the machine the way he dismantled to many kids.  I loved his tenacity.  There were times where I expected him to rip a kid's arm off and beat him with it.  I remember being amazed at his ability well before high school and telling his dad that he was going to be a beast at the high school level.  But I also hear what GOO is saying.  So I left him off.

Yeah, I thought long and hard about Wolsiefer.  He was definitely a family favorite.  My wife's favorite to watch.  She always referred to him as the machine the way he dismantled to many kids.  I loved his tenacity.  There were times where I expected him to rip a kid's arm off and beat him with it.  I remember being amazed at his ability well before high school and telling his dad that he was going to be a beast at the high school level.  But I also hear what GOO is saying.  So I left him off.

We're talkin' "best wrestler". Don't give me the mental or dedication aspect of the sport bull crap. I don't care if he lost focus. Wrestling wise, he was the best. His head was elsewhere, but that doesn't change the fact that he was unstoppable.

We're talkin' "best wrestler". Don't give me the mental or dedication aspect of the sport bull crap. I don't care if he lost focus. Wrestling wise, he was the best. His head was elsewhere, but that doesn't change the fact that he was unstoppable.

I think I will have to agree with Danger and put the great John Wolsiefer at the top of my list. There where lots of times when John was wrestling a inferior opponent that I had 911 punched into my phone with my thumb on top of the send button.  I could see fear in the faces of many kids he wrestled and I didn't blame them.  Perhaps John's bright flame burned him out a little to soon, but when he was at the top of his game no one has been better.

But a wrestler is more than just a physical being that is represented on the mat. A wrestler is ia the whole package. If you don't have it mentally then you will never get very far in what you ae doing. In John's case it happen to be wrestling. He might be very successful otherwise, I don't really know, but as far as wrestling I can't say that he was. He didn't finish what he started and that means more to me then a lot of things. I would have to agree with GOO, as well.

whats all this stuff about john not finishing what he started? did he quit in the middle of the season? im pretty sure he didnt. he wont state, and then he moved on with other things of interest. maybe in his mind being a multiple state champion was just as important as being a single state champion. regardless, he finished his season, maybe not his career, but how many people start something their freshman or sophmore years and just do it for a year? are you going to down them for finishing the season, but not their highschool career in it? i know i wouldnt. at least they tried it, and john happened to be very good at it.

I'm not putting him down I'm just saying he doesn't belong as the top wrester in KY because he did not finish his high school career.

We will never know.  He may have come back his Seinior year and not even placed at state.  This may have happened because he was not focused.  If this would have happened no one would have considered him the greatest. 

Example:  Coty Lewis (Woodford Co.)  2X runner up then 1X champ.  Senior year lost focus and did not place at state.  Not considered one of the greatest wreslters in KY. 

I'm not putting him down I'm just saying he doesn't belong as the top wrester in KY because he did not finish his high school career.

We will never know.  He may have come back his Seinior year and not even placed at state.  This may have happened because he was not focused.  If this would have happened no one would have considered him the greatest.  

Example:  Coty Lewis (Woodford Co.)  2X runner up then 1X champ.  Senior year lost focus and did not place at state.  Not considered one of the greatest wreslters in KY.  

As a 8th, 9th and 10th grader.  I agree with GOO, Wolsifier's skills may have been very good but he cannot be considered one of the best because he did not compete his senior year.  If he had been injured or something like that then it would help but it still counts against him either way.

Lets set the record straight, not because of this post about whos the best, but because so many people on here dont know what happened to John Wolsiefer.

He started his senior year and blew out his ankle during the championship match of the King of the Bluegrass tournament, (early Dec). He finished the match with a win and the MOW for the tournament, his record was 14-0. Unfortunately he had to sit out a few weeks and when ready to get back on the mat during practice he blew out his ankle again.

He missed his grades at the semester turn and was ineligible, that was the end of his high school career. A sad end to a great high school career. There's noone to blame and no excuses. Since he couldnt finish his season he fell out of the wrestling mode and never went back. I more than anyone wish he would have found his way back to the mat but it hasnt worked out that way.

Who is the best in the past decade is an argument that will never be resolved, I'm just proud that Kentucky wrestling has improved to the point we have so many great wrestlers to argue about being the best.

Lets set the record straight, not because of this post about whos the best, but because so many people on here dont know what happened to John Wolsiefer.

He started his senior year and blew out his ankle during the championship match of the King of the Bluegrass tournament, (early Dec). He finished the match with a win and the MOW for the tournament, his record was 14-0. Unfortunately he had to sit out a few weeks and when ready to get back on the mat during practice he blew out his ankle again.

He missed his grades at the semester turn and was ineligible, that was the end of his high school career. A sad end to a great high school career. There's noone to blame and no excuses. Since he couldnt finish his season he fell out of the wrestling mode and never went back. I more than anyone wish he would have found his way back to the mat but it hasnt worked out that way.

Who is the best in the past decade is an argument that will never be resolved, I'm just proud that Kentucky wrestling has improved to the point we have so many great wrestlers to argue about being the best.

That should end that.

i think mitxh ervin and pat banks shuld also be on this list

Mitch Ervin was very good, a shame he couldn't compete in college.  I would say he is borderline to be on the list, he only won it twice.  Pat Banks definitely not though.  Although he was a tough wrestler he never won a title, I would think that would be a prerequisite to even be considered.