Sign in to follow this  
Nkawtg

Kyle Lawson

Yeah, I saw that. SPG with the JJ is not joke.

Edit..flo is doing coverage there and has some videos up.

I think Claymont has the best coaching in the state bar none. Graham has better transfers. It is what it is though. 922 proud.

• Upvote 1

Claymont is doing great work with hometown kids(ie some sbc schools up north), but SPG has the best room and coaches. With that said I wish they would go d1 or something. 547 proud.

I agree that SPG does great things in their room...but come on they have kids that wrestle for them who do not even live in their district.  If "bull" Marinelli wrestled in his district he would attend a Dayton public school.  I for one don't care but when people act like the transfers/move-ins don't make a difference just look at our own state.  

1) Trinity may not win state title in 09' (Bradberry) 

2) CC does not win state title in 12' (Both Myers)

3) UC does not win state title in 11' (Blackwell and Jayce Carr) 

4) Trinity does not outplace St. X at state this year (Frankrone)

5) Woodford does not place top 5 in 14' (Boston and Carr) 

These are just a few of the major impacts that transfers/ move-ins have had on our state tournament in recent years.

What weight? Think Woodford might have won this yr if they could have kept them Down here another yr? Or at least kept the younger one till he could wrestle in Hs in Ohio next yr.

Transfers make ALL the difference. Im just saying there is a reason they flock to the SPG, blair etc. I wish homegrown teams stood more of a chance.

Who wouldn't send their kid to Graham if given the chance? Everyone would. The Claymont program has done everything from within and it was a thrill to see them at least be in the discussion with Graham. Nobody has done more with less than Claymont.

Lawson looks to be a 4 timer. SPG only gets better too. He would have won 138 anywhere this year I think.

Kyle is a beast in top, possibly as tough or tougher than Harrison Courntey was. Just nasty. Love his style of wrestling. Congrats Kyle!

Who wouldn't send their kid to Graham if given the chance? Everyone would. The Claymont program has done everything from within and it was a thrill to see them at least be in the discussion with Graham. Nobody has done more with less than Claymont.

Lawson looks to be a 4 timer. SPG only gets better too. He would have won 138 anywhere this year I think.

No not everyone would. 

I for one certainly would not. 

I've never understood the transfer for sports aspect of high school.  It's kind of like pimping your kid around town for his/her athletic abilities.  This is high school not proffesional sports, the only reason for a transfer should be for academic reasons.  Maybe the school district you live in has low scores or such, or if you MUST move for some reason.

No not everyone would. 

I've never understood the transfer for sports aspect of high school.  It's kind of like pimping your kid around town for his/her athletic abilities.  This is high school not proffesional sports, the only reason for a transfer should be for academic reasons.  Maybe the school district you live in has low scores or such, or if you MUST move for some reason.

I mainly agree with you about tranfers(some people abuse it)

1. It helps the stars get to the coaching they need to make it to the next level.

2. Wrestling for SPG or other schools like them, give the kid a better exposure to college scholarships.

Goo, this is one time I would disagree with you.

In your analogy, wouldn't changing school districts for academic reasons be the same "pimping your kids out", just for grades this time instead of wrestling.......

Isn't the end goal the same anyway, trying for a scholarship of some sort and a free or partially free college education.......

Why not give a kid any advantage possible either through sports or academia.....

And all of those blasting on kids going to D2, D3, or NAIA schools, remember this one thing, they will have a COLLEGE DEGREE in four years, regardless of what division they wrestled !!!!!!!!

And Im not starting another civil war here because  I know its a touchy subject and  wrote a college paper on it last year. Schools like Graham that have so many advantages of transfers, no attendance zones, and endless resources shouldn't be in the same state tournament. Where would X or Trinity be if they had an attendance zone, or the same advantages like a Graham.

Graham most definately has attendance zones. They are a public school!!

Graham, like many ohio rural districs, has open enrollment

A lot people think Graham is a private catholic school because of the St. Paris.

St Paris is the city where Graham is located.

So there you have it.

St Paris Graham Local schools.

And they do in fact have attandence zones. However they are open enrollment.

They still have attendance zones. If you don't live in their school district, you are required to pay tuition. They are not like a perocial school with no defined zone. And if you enroll after you have begun your highschool eligability, you are subject to a year of ineligability, without a bonified change of address to their district.

And Im not starting another civil war here because  I know its a touchy subject and  wrote a college paper on it last year. Schools like Graham that have so many advantages of transfers, no attendance zones, and endless resources shouldn't be in the same state tournament. Where would X or Trinity be if they had an attendance zone, or the same advantages like a Graham.

"Where would they be" is a good question, but let's not assume they couldn't coach up the kids from their own attendance zone.  Let's not forget, for a number of years the Louisville Regional, when there were Districts and Regions, was considered one of, if not the, weakest in the state.

Tapout not the same thing.  

School is about academics not about sports.  So transfering for academics is a lot different than transfering for sports.  I never said anything about gaining an academic scholarship.  I said just earning an education.  The education we are telling our kids is that you can bend, and take advantage of rules that we don't like or believe in. 

As for the college coaching thing.   You mean to tell me that ATM or Brock would have more college coaches looking at them if they were at Graham?  I don't believe that one bit

Now with all that said.  I believe that you should be allowed one transfer with no questions asked.  Then the second transfer would be have to be looked at with a fine tooth comb and only in very rare occations should it be allowed without a one year suspension.  Remember once again the kid will still be getting the education he/she is suppose to be getting in high school. Sports are a privilage not a right in high school. 

No not everyone would.

I've never understood the transfer for sports aspect of high school. It's kind of like pimping your kid around town for his/her athletic abilities. This is high school not proffesional sports, the only reason for a transfer should be for academic reasons. Maybe the school district you live in has low scores or such, or if you MUST move for some reason.

The neighboring schools to Graham have no shot. What kid wouldn't go there that lives close by? I didn't phrase it well before.

Anyway, I don't think young Mr Lawson wins an Ohio state title, if not for his experience last season in Kentucky. He lost to Burcher a few weeks ago but handled him soundly in the semis. Cody Burcher is a two-time state finalist and is signed with Ohio State....and the frosh Lawson beat him!!

Sign in to follow this