Sign in to follow this  
bumstead

8th graders winning regionals

looking at the # of region winners that are not yet in high school I have saul ervin 106 mason smith 113, david carr 126, blake gamble 132,any others? quite a class!

Blake gamble looked good at regionals, he would have pretty well dominated the finals match had he not got caught in a bad situation for a few second but he fought through and ended up winning pretty decisively.. His semis match with the bourbon co kid was match of the day hands down, went through sudden victory and the 2 thirty second periods. It was a absolute dog fight for 8 mins..

Shout out to 7th grader Brent Hudgins from Harrison for showing some heart and fight in placing 4th in 113lb class.  Not to mention he was giving up almost 35lbs.  Way to wrestle kid!

Blake wrestled a pretty solid tourney at regions but he has been wrestling great all year.

Brent Hudgins is a tough kid and he should be proud for placing at 113. Shoot I don't even have any affiliation with him and I'm proud if the kid. Great job

I know they can bump up but thought there was a minimum weight he must make to be eligible. If he is giving up that much weight plus the 2 pound allowance. That is quite significant. Kid must be pretty talented.

119 technically no as your allowed to bump 1 wt class but hopefully coaches don't let it get out of hand for safety reasons I can see in dual situations when you know other team has no 113 but an individual bracket must think safety first

Shout out to 7th grader Brent Hudgins from Harrison for showing some heart and fight in placing 4th in 113lb class.  Not to mention he was giving up almost 35lbs.  Way to wrestle kid!

Wow....he didn't even place at middle school state...I think he went 1-2.  He wrestled middle school state at 80lbs.  That's a ton of weight to give up.  

Id like to give a shout out to Mason Smith. I had the chance to watch him win the Middle School State Championships and earn MOW last weekend. Then come to Region 6 this weekend and watch him pin Vaske of Boone, upset last year state placer Scaggs by pinning him, then beat Krebs in the finals with ,what I thought ,was the best finals match of the day. All 3 wrestlers he beat are headed to state as the 2,3 and 4. The kids a class act on and off the mat. Good luck to him and all these dedicated wrestlers at State this weekend! This is going to be a great show!!

• Upvote 1

Thanks heavy. That's what I was kind of thinking, as a coach myself I don't know if I could put a kid in at that weight to compete with the size of wrestlers today. Props to him if he can get it done at this level with that disadvantage.

Great tournament for Mason he handled Skaggs easily and held on to beat Krebs in a very good match , he has experience on a bigger stage and should handle the pressure of HS state easily for an eigth grader .

Someone I talked to thought it was a 88lb minimum.

That guy would have been right if it was 1989. Been a very long time since that was a rule.

That guy would have been right if it was 1989. Been a very long time since that was a rule.

I know I didn't have a clue. I just over heard someone saying it. Then I ask them what about it and he said he wasn't sure but thought he had heard that somewhere before. I guess he heard it a while back...lol.

Carr was pinned at regionals. Ref was out of position and missed it. He came back and looked good, but dominated is strong. I've seen him have a handful of very close matches this season. Props to him for finding a way to win, but he's got his hands full with Beeler and Austin

Carr was pinned at regionals. Ref was out of position and missed it. He came back and looked good, but dominated is strong. I've seen him have a handful of very close matches this season. Props to him for finding a way to win, but he's got his hands full with Beeler and Austin

Him may have been pinned, but it was fast. At that point he was well in control and looked to just get a little sloppy for a moment. I don't think by any means he won't have a tough time, but I do think he has a shot at winning it.

My guess is that he is probably thinking we will see the same thing happen that we did last year. Ms move in and wrestle hs because they can't do it in his home state, then move back once the season is over.

Sign in to follow this