Sign in to follow this  
mommaswatching

Anywhere but Alltech, Please

1. I thought we had one more year on contract at Horse Park.

2. The boys weren't allowed to sit or lay on anything in hallways. One kid had a yoga mat and was told to remove it! That carpeted area should be designated as a camping are for wrestlers. Give the boys a place to lay down comfortably for goodness sake....it's a long weekend for them. And the whole reason we are there in the first place!

3. Lighting was discussed last year and was agreed upon changes would be made. Same thing was done for finals...crap lighting.

4. The knifing of the balls was over the top....celebration is more forced at horse park.

5. Louisville Gardens sounds like good option to remove parking costs that may be associated with broadbent.

6. 32 vs 24 vs 16 man bracket: majority seems to be in favor of 32, so venue to accommodate 2 day tourney limits choices....but other options NEED to be discussed further.

7. With KHSAA headquartered in Lexington, are they trying to keep all events there?

8. Wrestling people need to be as involved as much as possible with KHSAA in any future decisions.

The KY Fair grounds charges about $8 to park!   And that's this years cost; with the "new" theme park coming, they'll probably jack up that cost even more.  Plus  it's a little walk to the arena once there.   The Fair grounds usually has several things going on at the same time (flea markets, other shows, etc).

Um, they have parking all the way around the arena -- so that won't be an issue.

How about a rotation? Get the State Universities to host. One year at Northern Kentucky, the next at Morehead State, the next at Murray State, then Western Kentucky and so on. This would allow the sport to be showcased around the state, & save on travel for those teams the years it's close to your school. Why should the centrally located schools never have to travel and spend the money those schools who are always traveling have to spend.  It could be a 6 year rotation with Lexington & Louisville included. It would allow those universities to showcase themselves as well. Each of the Universities has a arena that is big enough to hold 6 mats. No more dirt and allergies, nor cold arena floors.

• Upvote 2

How about a rotation? Get the State Universities to host. One year at Northern Kentucky, the next at Morehead State, the next at Murray State, then Western Kentucky and so on. This would allow the sport to be showcased around the state, & save on travel for those teams the years it's close to your school. Why should the centrally located schools never have to travel and spend the money those schools who are always traveling have to spend.  It could be a 6 year rotation with Lexington & Louisville included. It would allow those universities to showcase themselves as well. Each of the Universities has a arena that is big enough to hold 6 mats. No more dirt and allergies, nor cold arena floors.

I think enough money is involved that by state law it has to go through a bid process.

That was my first experience and I was not impressed. The fact they cant keep dirt off of the floor and mats is absurd. Also I have heard at the youth level there were allergy issues, and the finals were not near as neat as they were in Frankfort. I would say take it back to Frankfort! Parking was fine, seating was fine, and the arena was darker then Lexington.

Also can we please step the medals up?! Half dollars are larger then the medals! If the middle school can afford the medals provided the KHSAA sure better be able too. 

• Upvote 1

I agree that they should allow the kids a place to spread out.  I heard more than one competitor complain about the cold warm-up areaand that it was cold on the mats especially when the action stopped for an injury time.  Not being redundant but the people running the tournament should get their ideas from wrestling folks.  And yes Ky is known for horses, but I had many kids say it did stink and the floor was dirty.                    Think about this - I have never seen a shirt say " The best thing about a Horse Arena is when it is Covered in Wrestling Mats"   LOL.

The lack of brackets and/or programs made this seem diminished in importance.  Yep grandma wants to see where lil Johnny placed his sophomore year and where the neighbor kid placed 5 years before.  Just like the debate about  books on  a computer or phone some people still like to have the tangible feel of a paper booklet or packet. 

Does the KHSAA get the proceeds from the concessions and shirt sales?  If so then providing medals or plaques, brackets, a shirt with weight class and placement on back. I think there is one school in Evansville Indiana that gives each class champion a special colored shirt  with weight class and champion on the back and a decent size trophy  -  and this is just for their Duals Tournament.  The rotation idea might work, they do it for NCAA .

Last post by me -  just hope that  they do what is right for the kids.

From what I heard last year the kids were hooking up under the bedding that was brought into the arena last year and that's why they weren't allowed to bring any kind of bedding in this year.

Those of you who keep harping on the tournament being centrally located. Why? Why should the centrally located teams never have to travel and stay in a hotel? Shouldn't the teams from the west, north, or east be able to go home each night of the tournament? It could be an 8 year rotation, with the tournament being hosted once in each region.

problem with any venue in Louisvile is that weekend you deal with the largest convention that comes to town , The Farm Machine Show. It fill most hotel rooms and Mike Frankone, Broadbent is taken, I served on the advisory committee for the Louisville Sports comission for one year. and its sad we cant have this event back in Louisville. Your right, need to move away from the horse park but facilities are limited in this state.

I do wonder how much asthma and allergies played in the outcome of many matches.

I agree with a number of the points that have already been made, so no need to rehash.  The biggest issues that I had were the lighting for the finals (won't rehash, but very difficult to see), and the lateness of the finals.  For the second year in a row, half of the arena left around or after the 160 pound weight class, but it wasn't because people weren't interested in the upper weights.  Teams and buses have travel time to get home Saturday night, and we simply can't have our kids out past midnight.  We must get the finals started around 6 pm so that people can stay for the whole event.  Maybe running 8 mats would move things along if we stay at Alltech and stay at a 2 day tournament.  There have to be some improvements, perhaps even an additional set of steps at the far side of the arena so coaches don't have to spend their whole day walking and going up and down the lengthy stairwell.  Just my thoughts.

Alltech gave me a major headache & i could not stop sneezing. Too many allergy problems for an abundance of the people. I personally think that it should be moved back to Frankfort. I mean heck for finals you cant get a decent video of any match cuz its so far away from the seats. Alltech just doesnt have the intense atmosphere that the Civic Center has.

Naplesme, i think you nailed it.  I really think this would be the best course of action for ALL!

problem with any venue in Louisvile is that weekend you deal with the largest convention that comes to town , The Farm Machine Show. It fill most hotel rooms and Mike Frankone, Broadbent is taken, I served on the advisory committee for the Louisville Sports comission for one year. and its sad we cant have this event back in Louisville. Your right, need to move away from the horse park but facilities are limited in this state.

I do wonder how much asthma and allergies played in the outcome of many matches.

I call KFEC yesterday to inquire about Braodbent Arena and they said Broadbent Area is available Feb, 21-23, 2014!

So let me understand this, the arena is why the atmosphere is bad?  

The arena does play a part. Atmosphere is more about energy (of the fans) and imagination of the producers of the event. I watched the last two yrs finals via internet. The place looks pretty blah. Why? Is is the lighting? Bland mat? Poor camera work? I don't know, never been to Alltech. At the risk of being perceived as an Ohio snob I am posting links to a few pics

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ohsaa+wrestling+photos&biw=1600&bih=775&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&wrapid=tlif136129876579010&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=SsUjUa_TCOTC0QHa-YH4AQ#imgrc=zNQtCvo5kpGIdM%3A%3BFdhnVZlK0kQ4gM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.columbussports.org%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2013%252F01%252FOHSAA-Wrestling.BLOG_.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.columbussports.org%252Fblog%252F2013%252F01%252Fnew-team-event-highlights-ohsaa-wrestling-slate%252F%3B650%3B180

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ohsaa+wrestling+photos&biw=1600&bih=775&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&wrapid=tlif136129887510410&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=t8UjUZOJHKaT0QH_8YCIDA#imgrc=KkhMQX_AxSbd7M%3A%3Ba0mDRPACSyhSJM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fhssn-media.advance.net%252Fohiohssports.com%252Fnews%252F6a070677621c834282ff3f0d35874f47%252Fmatnote.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fhighschoolsports.cleveland.com%252Fnews%252Farticle%252F8326272425264911552%252Fohsaa-wrestling-state-notebook-for-divisions-i-ii-and-iii%252F%3B1024%3B698

1st pic shows the three mats ready for finals. Three divisions, each with its own mat. Second pic is better view of mat. Imagine KHSAA with outline of state of Ky. Hope links work.

I think the arena is great.

Pros:

- Centrally located

- Large Facility

- Plently of places to eat and stay

- Can easily see all matches

Cons:

- The big screen is way too bright and very hard to see.

- As a spectator the dirt floor looks like it could create a lot of problems for the wrestlers. I'm sure a lot of dirt gets on the mats.

What i would like to see differently:

- Sheet of Vinyl to cover the whole floor. (dirt will be out of sight and out of mind.)

- Dim the big screen

- 8 mats to speed the process up. (don't know how this effects the 45 min. rule)

- Finals on Raised stage

Here's a plus to having it at one of the smaller arenas in Louisville. For example if it's held at Broadbent arena possibly while other events are going on at the KFEC it could draw in curious spectators which is more gate money and more recognition to Ky HS wrestliing! The same applies to Louisville Gardens Downtown. The West Main Street District and 4th Street Live has turned into a huge tourism attractions which Louisville Gardens is just 2-3 blocks away from these tourism Hot Spots! We have to start thinking BIG if we want the sport to grow in Kentucky! Indiana just had their HS State last weekend in The Bankers Life Fieldhouse(The Old Conseco Fielhouse)! It holds 18,000+ for basketball games! And Let me tell you their HS State was pretty crowed. It's all about exposure! Their is no exposure at the Horse Park for KY HS Wrestling! Just imagine if Ky HS State Wrestling Championships were being held at The Gardens in Downtown Louisville and some out of town family from central KY, or S.W. Ky were visiting Louisville or here for a convention and were walking  by the Gardens hearing all the cheering from inside and out of curiousity went in and became hooked on wrestling. Especially if that family has some young boys that were intrigued with what they saw! From that point that's one great way on how to get exposure for our wrestling to continue to grow! 

Good points Mike. It's always been my belief that you hold it in Louisville. Population wise, more people live closer to Louisville, thus more exposure. I'm not too familiar with The Gardens though.