Sign in to follow this  
purpleandgold

Lawson Brothers

I follow NKY wrestling but don't get much info on state wrestlers. Who are these Lawson brothers? Are they Woodford County home grown? Transfers? If so, from where? They had an impressive run. Any info is appreciated.

Indiana. Freshman State Champ, soph State Runner up with a broken handand now an undefeated KY state champ. 1 loss high school record. Unbelievable kid, unbelievable family. Tough as nails.

My guess is that the Lawson's will go back to Ohio next year so the older one could wrestle varsity for Graham. This is purely speculation but given how good that seventh grade class is at Graham there is no way the Lawson's wont be up there within two years when both are in high school. They might stay down here one more year just so they can wrestle on the same team and travel together.

I love how you throw in the broken hand- everyone always has some kind of excuse or explaination for a loss.

I was merely pointing out how tough the kid was by finishing a tournament injured. Never defended the loss because of the broken hand. Just giving the facts. No excuses, he dominated (5 pins) the 2013 State tournament.

My guess is that the Lawson's will go back to Ohio next year so the older one could wrestle varsity for Graham. This is purely speculation but given how good that seventh grade class is at Graham there is no way the Lawson's wont be up there within two years when both are in high school. They might stay down here one more year just so they can wrestle on the same team and travel together.

I love how you throw in the broken hand- everyone always has some kind of excuse or explaination for a loss.

He had a broken hand Cougar05....He lost by like a point with a broken hand to Micic in Indiana State Finals.....He is better than that kid too....For you to say that is totally off the wall....Boston is the BEST wrestler in the State of Kentucky right now at 113lbs and could have probably won at 120 !!!!   He is at a total different level and is in the TOP 3 in the nation....Watch what happens at Flo and Nationals coming up.....In my opinion he is the best in the state pound for pound.....He and Brock in the same class as is ATM....Future Division I Champs possibly......They can go with anybody in the nation !

Totally agree Thirdround. By the way, not only is Luke one hell of a wrestler, he's a class act too! I sincerely wish him the best. You raised a great young man.

Top 3 in nation doesn't beat Gus Adams 1-0 and Keegan Duncan by a point. Sorry he also didn't place at Flo or Super 32 this year not sure which one he attended. Your a little off base. I'm not saying he isn't good because he is but he is not a wrestling god. Come back down to earth thirdround, and was he better than that kid? If my memory serves me right both kids were undefeated that year heading into the state finals if so how would Boston be better? Just asking

Gus Adams is a puzzling wrestler. There are matches where he bows up and can go with anyone. See his results vs Boston and Blackwell. Then there are times when he loses matches he has no business losing, like the match against Steiner.

Top 3 in nation doesn't beat Gus Adams 1-0 and Keegan Duncan by a point. Sorry he also didn't place at Flo or Super 32 this year not sure which one he attended. Your a little off base. I'm not saying he isn't good because he is but he is not a wrestling god. Come back down to earth thirdround, and was he better than that kid? If my memory serves me right both kids were undefeated that year heading into the state finals if so how would Boston be better? Just asking

Seriously buddy.....I was at Super 32 ...Boston got to the Quarters at 120lbs in a very stacked weight......He would have Been Top 3 if not Champ at 113.....Yea it's just my opinion.......Micic never showed at the Indiana Qualifier at 113.....Boston blew them all out......The kid is the real deal and lost to NOBODY at 120 in this state this year.

I do know what I am talking about......Kentucky is blessed to have his talent and he deserves the props....Remember this in a few years from now....You will be watching him on ESPN......Just sayin' !!!!!   As far as off base...you are !!!!!

Totally agree Thirdround. By the way, not only is Luke one hell of a wrestler, he's a class act too! I sincerely wish him the best. You raised a great young man.

Thanks....He had a bad day....They all have them !

The lawson brothers were trained by Miron in Ohio when they were young. A few years ago they moved to Urbana Ohio to train with Jordan. Since I am confident this will be common knowledge soon enough I will stop the speculation. The Lawsons have decided to move back to Ohio. Their father was trying to open a flooring buissness in the Lexington area but it was hard to find people to employee that had the experience he was looking for. Also, Mr. Lawsons father got very ill during the season and it made it very hard for him to help take care of him. They will be deeply missed on and off the mat. I think the coaches were officially informed yesterday about the decision. I am very biased but these boys improved leaps and bounds from the time they came to their last match in Kentucky. I assure you this was not in their original plans as they were looking to purchase or build a new home a month ago.

Nathan Boston was born in Central Baptist hospital in Lexington. I am a graduate of Woodford County High. A few years back I shut down a plant in Harrodsburg, Kentucky and was asked to move to Indianapolis. I accepted my new position and we moved. About 2 years ago we sold our company and many positive change were made. Anytime 2 or more companies come together we must look for synergies and cost savings. With that being said, we decided to move the location to the east cost. This opened up an opportunity for us to move back home and help our aging parents. We have been trying to get back for the last 3 years. Since Nathan was 8 years old Joe Carr sr. and Joe Carr jr has had their hands on Nathan. They would come and spend the summers with the grandparents and train with the Carr's. The Carrs actually started a very successful wresting academy in Indianapolis but over time it was hard for them to make the trip as often as the parents wanted. We turned the academy over to a very highlevel coach.

Many Kentucky folks knew we were moving back before the Carrs knew. We told the Carr's we were moving back home the week before school started. We didnt want anyone to know until we were here. The Carrs probably had the biggest impact in Nathans wrestling career since he was 8 years old. Many people asked why we picked Woodford. It was simple, we moved to be close to parents not to win a team state title. As stated above, the Lawsons moved to Versailles because it was in the middle of Frankfort, Lexington, and Cincinnatti. Versailles was the perfect location.

I appreciate the kind words about Nathan. I think Nathan is lucky to have Kentucky and he has embraced the opportunity. Everyone has a good day and a bad day. With a lot of luck Nathan was able to come out of the State event as a state champion. I appriciate everyone that has supported our return to a great state and home. Nathan is 150-1 for his high school career and his loss came from Micic from Indiana. At this time Nathan was ranked #2 in the country and Micic was ranked #4. It was a great match and we were lucky to make it to the State Finals match. Nathan beat him the first year in the semi's and he returned the favor in the finals last year. Micic defeated Nathan I think 6-4 or 6-5. It really doesnt matter Micic beat him and has our respect. Nathan was 2nd at Flonationals and he wrestled 120 at Super 32. He wrestled very well and it is hard to place at these events with the 1 day weigh in. He was defeated by JR Wert in the Semi finals 3-2. Wert went upto 132 and placed 5th or 6th at the iron man. He lost to another kid he beat the day before in OT. Kentucky has some studs and we are humbled that some of you have considered him to be one of the better kids in the state. He has a level head and knows that anyone can be beat. He will be at FloNationals and all the top kids will be there. We would be glad if he was able to place top 8 again. However, that is not his goal.  His is not a wrestling god nor does he think that. Once again, thanks for being so kind and supportive of Nathan. Everyone I have talked to has been great. I assure you that Nathan is a Kentucky kid and we wont be moving out of state until he finishes school. Hopefully Nathan represents Kentucky in a positive way.

Thanks again,

• Upvote 2

Team Kentucky this year will be BEAST......Just look at what is there......You got Nathan Boston, Trae Blackwell, Michael Whalen, Brock Ervin, Sean Fausz, Justin Lampe, Dominic Lampe, Austin Meyers and the list goes on and on......We are talking about a team that can represent KY, if not win it it all for the first time ever. It would be nice to send most of these kids and some seniors to Virginia Beach....Can you say double digit All Americans....I can and we have them right here in KY !

Boston120, I hope my original post starting this topic was not then out of context. I had very limited knowledge of the Lawson's and Nathan. I'm trying to get a better idea of who these kids are. For a wrestling enthusiast like me, with limited knowledge, it is hard to find info on great wrestlers in our state, without knowing what websites are out there to visit. If anyone can shed some light on which sites to visit, please post them. I posted the original topic to find out more about these kids. They really impressed me at the tournament and I'm trying to find more out about them and follow them. congrats to all 3 of them. They are great wrestlers for the sport and the state.

My son David Hernandez wrestled the 106 Lawson a couple times this year. John Hernandez wrestled Boston in finals. Good competition helps you step up your game. I agree that Kentucky wrestlers can compete with northern rivals. You just have to put in the work. We will be hitting that mat this summer.

My son David Hernandez wrestled the 106 Lawson a couple times this year. John Hernandez wrestled Boston in finals. Good competition helps you step up your game. I agree that Kentucky wrestlers can compete with northern rivals. You just have to put in the work. We will be hitting that mat this summer.

Where they twins ?

I was told by a Graham parent, last year, that the Lawson boys were going to move to KY to wrestle High School, then move back after the season was over. This was already preplanned. Was told by a very reliable sourse from within the Graham Circle this was going to happen.

It is what it is. Several Ohio kids have made this move to KY to try to capture a High School title. Well all that have made the move to KY have come up short.

Lawson boys and Mark Hall. To set the record straight, all of these kids are outstanding wrestlers. Not taking anything away from that.

I wish them well and hope things work out for them back at Graham.

The Boston kid is a stud! I thought he placed at Super 32 this past year.

Lawsons packed and ready before the tournament started.  I can't speak to their original plans when they moved but the Lawson boys have made no mistake this was a one year deal. Told everyone they encountered that was the case.  Not sure how Carrs just found out since most were already openly talking about it few weeks ago.

I wish them well in their careers.  Seem to be great kids with a great head start on a fantastic HS career.

I would just like to point out over the last few years Mark Hall, both Lawsons came to KY with intentions of owning their respective weights and grabbing a state title before they entered HS.  All 3 were denied.  Throw in the most recent loss of Stephen Myers and I'd say KY has a done pretty well for itself lately.  You may come here and think your prep and training in Ohio or Michigan means a KY state title will be an easy feat.  NOT SO FAST.

Boston stands out, though. Great wrestler and that Carr training really shines through.  Would've love to see him at 120 where there was some actual competition this season.  He ran through 113 with ease.  Wish him the best at national tourneys this year.