Sign in to follow this  
bigedcoach

Kentucky's Most accomplished wrestler

I know there has been several 3x and 4x state champs, even some national HS all americans, but who is this state's most accomplished wrestler even beyond HS, My opinion

Dominic Black 87 185 state champ

2x NCAA Qualif

NCAA ALL American

2x World Cup Freestyle Champ

1x Pan AM Games Champ

1x University Games Champ

OK BigD you got me on this one. I'm really not much of an expert on post high school accomplishments. I Have heard about Dominic's accomplishments and many believe he has had the most success after high school.

I do know of a few that I think had some success after high school all are from NKY.

David Barnes

Brad Cooper

Kyle Ruschell

What happened to Blevins from Fern Creek? Did he wrestle past high school?

Ruschell is deff not, add one or two state titles first cause there is a list of 3 and 4 timers ahead of him and another list of those that were all americans in college.

ON another note, we may never produce a David Taylor, we're just not ohio and our kids dont start early enough for that to happen only wrestler in history to win the Ironman 4X

• Upvote 1

We have had several Kentucky boys recently as NAIA all americans, and that list is growing. I think Barnes was a 2 time all american in college but not for sure. Dominic would probably have the most overall accomplishments with his worldly accomplishments.

I can't argue with Dominic Black as the "Most Accomplished Wrestler", based on his international success after high school.

I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned Joe Carr Jr. yet. He was a 5X state finalist, 4X state champion, may be the only Kentucky wrestler to ever represent the US at the Dapper Dan Classic, and had a good (not great) college career at West Virginia. No offense to Ruschell, but a 4X state champ who wrestles in the Dapper Dan Classic is a tough act to beat.

Still, I think Black takes the prize here.

NAIA success for sure is Kevin Case from Harrison Co. and now the coach at Bryan Station.

Not so fast!!!

Brad Cooper from SK

4 time finalist 3x state champ (did not get to compete in middle school due to the fact ms wrestlers could not do so at the time ,so could have more hardware from state)

He then went on to be a three time NAIA All amarican 2x finalist. Guessing here, but I think his overall collegiate record was 113-7.

And no I am not Brad Cooper!!!

Not so fast!!!

Brad Cooper from SK

4 time finalist 3x state champ (did not get to compete in middle school due to the fact ms wrestlers could not do so at the time ,so could have more hardware from state)

He then went on to be a three time NAIA All amarican 2x finalist. Guessing here, but I think his overall collegiate record was 113-7.

And no I am not Brad Cooper!!!

True, I forgot about Brad. He was a stud. Not sure of Kevin's exact accolades but he won nationals.

This is David Richey's wife, because i have lost my password to my account. After high school, he wrestled 3 years for the All Army Team (which is an international team), In 1988 he was the Interservice Champion in freestyle which made him the Olympic Alternate and was voted Most Outstanding Wrestler of the Interservice Games. That's just to mention what i know of. When he gets up and moving i will try to get him on here. You guys have a good day :)

Ohio didn't produce David Taylor. He was a move in to Graham and nearly chose Moeller.

There's nothing stopping a Kentucky prep from becoming world class, as evidenced by Ruschell.

Taylors 4 years at Graham absolutely produced him. Your comment implies he would have accomplished everything he has done without Graham and they had nothing to do with it. Taylor chose Graham for a reason... and that reason is Jeff Jordan and the incredible record he and his family have of producing champions. Your team doesn't win the Div 2 State title 9 out of the last 10 years for nothing.

Taylor won Ironman as a frosh. He didn't get to that level with 2 weeks of coaching. He would have won Ironman as a frosh had he been at Moe, St Ed, Graham, or Campbell County.

Your point is an excellent one about the Jordan's though. They definitely set him in the path. My point was and is that Taylor developed into a state championship caliber wrestler outside of Ohio--Wyoming I think.

• Upvote 1

To get back on track a little, Jordans summer camp room has a ton of KY state champs listed as having attended his camps.

Basically a Who's Who of KY State Champs