OCMVP

Woodford = 2 medalists?

#4 Logsdon?  Didn't place.

#9 McCall  didnt place

#11 Grahm didn't place

#7 gentry didn't place

Not a single kid in the finals.

Guess LaRue must have drugged them!

I think they have been going slowly down hill since Rusty Parks retired, but I will never count them out.

Bigtime, I couldn't agree more. Parks was the guy behind the scenes that handled all the details and structure while the Carr's were able to focus on teaching great technique. Until Woodford finds someone to fill Park's position I don't see Woodford being the dominate school that it used to be.

Wasn't last year like one of the first times in a VERY long time that woodford didn't finish in the top 3 or something crazy like that?

They'll come back. The Carrs know what they're doing and are the two best coaches in the state, by far.

They don't have a continued youth program anymore.  They'll never catch up with other teams that have a good youth program.  It all starts with the young wrestlers.  Teams that are winning the elementary/Middle school tournament will be the teams that go on to win high school championships.  Look at Trinity and Ryle now.  They were the old Fern Creek and Gray teams.  Woodford hasnt had a good youth program for years now.

And you're right, when Coach Parks retired, it all started to go downhill.

At the Elementary State Tournament Woodford had only a handful of kids compared to the rest, but they were almost all very good little wrestlers. True, they don't have something going the way Ryle, Fern Creek, Connor and South Oldham do, but it's enough to where they will continue to be contenders for a long time to come.

They don't have a continued youth program anymore.  They'll never catch up with other teams that have a good youth program.  It all starts with the young wrestlers.  Teams that are winning the elementary/Middle school tournament will be the teams that go on to win high school championships.  Look at Trinity and Ryle now.  They were the old Fern Creek and Gray teams.  Woodford hasnt had a good youth program for years now.

And you're right, when Coach Parks retired, it all started to go downhill.

They have a good youth program now . Mike Andrioni has done a great job with them this year.

Posted by: Notfromhere Posted on: February 21, 2010, 11:44:33 PM Insert Quote

Elkhorn Middle has won the region the last 2 years over Woodford Co.  I expect Franklin Co. to continue to improve. 

Johnson County has won the past 3 Region 4 tournaments.  Elkhorn may have been runner-up those years.

Posted by: Notfromhere Posted on: February 21, 2010, 11:44:33 PM Insert Quote

Elkhorn Middle has won the region the last 2 years over Woodford Co.  I expect Franklin Co. to continue to improve. 

Johnson County has won the past 3 Region 4 tournaments.  Elkhorn may have been runner-up those years.

Elkhorn won District 7 over Woodford this year and was runner-up to Johnson Co. at Region 4.  Last year Elkhorn was runner up at Region.

Who's counting them out? The results speak for themselves, do they not?

Yeah the Results don't lie. Something changed that broke their 10+ year streak of being in the top 3. They were 5th last year and dropped to 11th this year.

Yeah the Results don't lie. Something changed that broke their 10+ year streak of being in the top 3. They were 5th last year and dropped to 11th this year.

70's woodford wins state titles 80's they dont 90's they do... history reapetes itself  :wink: we will be back ontop again  :mrgreen:

haha that one guy said Carrs are the best coaches by far. how ridiculous. Then how come they have went down hill since parks retired? Just saying if they were such "great" coaches they'd be in the top 5 every year because they'd be breeding champs not given them like other schools like trinity, and ryle. Stupid stuff isn't fair lol

haha that one guy said Carrs are the best coaches by far. how ridiculous. Then how come they have went down hill since parks retired? Just saying if they were such "great" coaches they'd be in the top 5 every year because they'd be breeding champs not given them like other schools like trinity, and ryle. Stupid stuff isn't fair lol

Dont diss the Carrs, they are the best coaches in Kentucky. They are wrestling with the byproducts of a terrible youth program, while schools like Trinity and Union have very good ones

Who is responsible for the youth program?

The high school coaches.  They are responsible for getting coaches and overseeing the youth and middle school programs. 

Great coaches do it all.  Not just show moves to the high school wrestlers.  Motivation, inspiration, and program building are more important than mat coaching.

I hate to say this but I predicted the downward slide of Woodford after Coach Parks left.  Now maybe everyone will know that he was the real backbone of the team.

Who is responsible for the youth program?

The high school coaches.  They are responsible for getting coaches and overseeing the youth and middle school programs. 

Great coaches do it all.  Not just show moves to the high school wrestlers.  Motivation, inspiration, and program building are more important than mat coaching.

I hate to say this but I predicted the downward slide of Woodford after Coach Parks left.  Now maybe everyone will know that he was the real backbone of the team.

Unless you know the inner workings of the Woodford program I think your opinion is just speculation.  And I don't care about all the "results speak for themselves since Parks left" crap.  Coach Parks did a great job and I have the utmost respect for him but all involved with Woodford in really almost any form know that Joe Carr Sr. is the man and always has been.

I don't doubt Joe Sr. or Jr 's wrestling credentials, but there is something different about these teams they have now compared to prior years. Don't know if a little of the luster has worn off those championships or if other teams are started to challenge more. Maybe its that our state is getting better as a whole. Look at the run that Woodrford had over the last 10 to 15 years and tell me how many quality teams there were. I think the added depth to some of these teams has added the competition that we sorely needed. Woodrford is just a by product of the growth of our state as a whole. No more domination just extra effort by some teams to dethrone them. I expect to see new teams at the top from now on which is good for all of us, right?