Sign in to follow this  
Coach Osborne

KHSAA State Tournament

Since my change in location from Ohio to Kentucky, I have noticed a few distinct differences. I will not go into these differences because they are not important. The reason that I am posting this topic is to get some insight into the rationale behind the structure of the KHSAA State Tournament.

The first question that comes to mind when I think of the Tournament is why Frankfort? I am sure that there is some great deal that the state is getting with use of the convention center and it is the state capital, but any one can see that there is a lack of certain things on this weekend. The most important one is wrestling mats. Wouldn't it make more sense to wrestle a 32 man bracket tournament on more mats? If not why not simplify the tournament down to a 16 man bracket, by offering another week of post season i.e. a district tournament?

As much picking as I just did, I do like how when the state tournament rolls into town it feels like it is the only thing that is occurring down there that weekend and not to mention the homemade cookies at the coffee shop in town are top notch.

I am beginning to learn some of the reasons, but I am very interested into what other peoples views are on this topic. I know that I am not the only one that feels miserable through the first rounds every season so please feel free to chime in and let your opinions out.

Remember this is KY not Ohio and while you may find the first rounds boring, there can be some really good matches.  The people here look forward to three days of great wrestling.  You actually get to see kids you hear about but maybe don't run into during the regular season.  Just my opinion.

The Civic Center took a while to grow on me but I have come to love the place.  The early rounds can get monotonous but the more kids you become familiar with and become fans of help to keep the day interesting.  In my opinion the finals are spectacular, the place is just the right size to get everyone in with very few empty seats.  When they turn off the lights and start pumping up the music its my favorite three hours of the year.  I don't think a larger facility would create the same electrified atmosphere. 

Why Frankfort, to the best of my knowledge the Civic Center is offered to us rent free and they take gate and concessions.  Also Frankfort is chosen for it's central location and perhaps because it is the State Capital and the need for some honest money to be inserted into its economy.

It used to be a 16 man bracket, the last year of that was 2001, my junior year.  I completely agree with the 16 man bracket instead of 32.  However the rationale I have heard has been that the KHSAA is trying to promote the sport and by having double the number of participants then more people feel like they have accomplished something by "making it."  Never mind that almost half the state qualifies.  Another reason I think is if you double the number of participants then that doubles the number of people who buy tickets, concessions and a whole host of other things while at the tournament.  Honestly I think it has been one big money-making scheme.

Good thoughts. I couldn't agree more Wildblue eyes. You do see some good matches through out the first round and no matter what it is always awesome to see some kids get wins where they should not...ie the upset factor. None the less the finals are awesome I agree. To me wrestling is wrestling good or bad I love the sport and will always enjoy watching it no matter the circumstance.

Free of rent is probably the major factor. I think my biggest peave to this weekend is not the wrestling, not the location, I just wish there was the capability of a few more mats to help speed things up.

It is my understanding that the tournament is held in Frankfort to spread the wealth of all sports in different parts of the state.  The basketball tourney is held in Lexington, football in Louisville, soccer in Georgetown, that way no one is left out of the mix. 

I really enjoyed the state tournament last year, but I do agree that the early rounds wore me out.  I see the long-term benefit of opening up the bracket to 32.  Some of the weight classes actually have pretty good competition through the twenty some-odd wrestlers, but there are those where it is more apparent that 32 shouldn't have made it.  Overall the 32 man set-up should grow the sport, and increase the overall interest of the state.  I also wish the event could have two or four more mats...

It should be a 2-day, 16 man bracket, and only place top 6, but remain in Frankfort.

Lol that's exactly how it used to be.  I like the Civic Center and think it's a great venue for holding the event.  I also see how it will help grow the sport but it takes some of the thrill out of "making it to state."  Sorry but there are some kids out there who qualify that are pretty bad.  Nothing against them but someone who qualifies for the state tournament should be a quality wrestler, perhaps they will improve and qualify the following year.

Honestly I think it has been one big money-making scheme.

That is exactly right.  Three days means more tickets being purchased. The same reason there is no consolation round on thursday, so that every kid comes back for day two, which means every kid's parent comes back for day two. They buy a ticket, food, drinks, etc. 

Same thing as football $$$. Look at all the teams that are below 500 that made the playoffs or teams in red??? State Football Playoffs are in WKU this year. With this many sub 500 teams the KHSAA could cut the playoffs by a week for sure, instead they cut into wrestling season to make $$$.

I have nothing against these teams, but going 0-10 and still making the State playoffs. :? :? :?

YA,YA,YA we made the playoffs

http://www.khsaa.org/football/2009/

2009 KHSAA Class 6A Commonwealth Gridiron Bowl State Football Playoffs

Finals, Feix Field, Houchens-LT Smith Stadium, WKU, Bowling Green, Saturday, December 5, 2009, 7:00 pm CT, High seed home field through round 3

Muhlenberg County (4) (3-7, 2-3D)

Boone County (4) (4-6, 2-3D)

Pleasure Ridge Park (3) (3-7, 1-2D)

Butler (4) (6-4, 0-3D)

Eastern (4) (3-7, 0-3D)

Southern (4) (1-9, 0-3D)

Seneca (3) (4-6, 1-2D)

Madison Central (4) (0-8, 0-3D)

Paul Laurence Dunbar (4) (2-8, 0-3D)

Tates Creek (3) (5-5, 1-2D)

2009 KHSAA Class 5A

Barren County (4) (3-7, 0-3D)

Hopkinsville (4) (3-7, 1-3D)

South Oldham (4) (3-7, 1-3D)

Waggener (4) (2-8, 1-3D)

Montgomery County (4) (3-7, 0-3D)

Scott (4) (2-8, 0-3D)

Mercer County (4) (1-9, 1-3D)

2009 KHSAA Class 4A

Calloway County (3) (3-7, 0-2D)

North Bullitt (4) (2-8, 0-3D)

Hopkins County Central (2) (4-6, 1-1D)

Breckinridge County (4) (3-7, 1-3D)

East Jessamine (4) (4-6, 0-3D)

Boyd County (3) (2-8, 2-2D)

2009 KHSAA CLass 3A

Adair County (4) (3-7, 1-3D)

Webster County (4) (0-10, 0-3D)

Spencer County (4) (3-7, 0-3D)

Moore (4) (3-7, 1-2D)

Powell County (3) (2-8, 1-2)

East Ridge (4) (3-7, 0-3D)

2009 KHSAA Class 2A

Todd County Central (4) (0-10, 0-3D)

Owensboro Catholic (3) (3-7, 1-2D)

Fort Knox (4) (3-7; should be 2-8Administrative Forfeit, originally 35-14 Shawnee, 1-2D)

Metcalfe County (4) (4-6, 0-3D)

Washington County (3) (3-7, 1-2D)

Newport (4) (2-8, 0-3D)

Owen County (3) (3-7, 1-2D)

Lloyd Memorial (3) (4-6, 1-2D)

Knott County Central (4) (1-9, 0-3D)

Bath County (3) (2-8, 1-2D)

Morgan County (4) (2-8, 0-3D)

2009 KHSAA Class 1A

Caverna (4) (1-9, 0-3D)

Fulton City (4) (2-8, 1-3D)

Fulton City (4) (2-8, 1-3D)

Jenkins (4) (1-9, 0-3D)

I always thought of the State Tournament for any state as really beginning with sectionals or regions or what ever you want to call the initial qualifying meet. Everyone gets a chance to stand on the podium, if you make it to the final state meet you at least earned the right to attend by beating someone. Sure some paths are easier than others, but isnt the idea for kids to grow and learn through hard work and achievement? I think our current format accomplishes those things.

But I admit that I too sometimes wish it wasnt 3 days, thats a long time and lots of weigh ins, but overall I think it works well. 

Like wrestler 79 I am also an Ohio transplant who often compere the two state tournaments.  They both are 3 day events and both do a nice production for the finals.  Also the emotion, (especially for the participants) gets pretty deep.  Obviously there are always be some things to improve our tournament but I'm not so sure about changing the venue.  Ohio did that for a few years (going to Dayton, Cleveland and one god awful year in Cincinnati) and the tournament really seemed to lose some of it's magic and aura.  Moving back to Columbus brought much of that back.  I like Frankfort and the small arena with the old hotel and all the "amenities" of the capital city.  There is always something to be said for tradition even if things are not always perfect. 

Like wrestler 79 I am also an Ohio transplant who often compere the two state tournaments.  They both are 3 day events and both do a nice production for the finals.  Also the emotion, (especially for the participants) gets pretty deep.  Obviously there are always be some things to improve our tournament but I'm not so sure about changing the venue.  Ohio did that for a few years (going to Dayton, Cleveland and one god awful year in Cincinnati) and the tournament really seemed to lose some of it's magic and aura.  Moving back to Columbus brought much of that back.  I like Frankfort and the small arena with the old hotel and all the "amenities" of the capital city.  There is always something to be said for tradition even if things are not always perfect. 

Well said, Old. I've been going to State now for years, even a year I didn't have my own child in it. I've come to like the familiarity. And I do think the finals are awesome. To me, the entire tournament moves quickly. And it's good for all wrestlers to have a chance to wrestle two days, even though I realize that set-up IS about making more money. I'm not a big fan of Frankfort -- to me it's kind of a one-horse town. But, hey, I already live in the best city in the country, so I can experience a great city any time.  :-D Plus, I like an excuse to stay in a hotel, take off from work, etc. I know for Eastern's team, State is a bonding experience. So I like that so many on the team make it. Some pretty bad teams make it into the NCAA basketball tournament, too, but every once in a while a Cinderella emerges, like George Mason. And we've had those at State, too -- Dakota Choate a few years ago. You just never know who is going to step up!

I say keep it as it is. Would be nice if the management would let up on trying to make you buy their expensive food, but I've figured out ways to sneak food in anyway.  :evil:

While there are some things that could be better, I like the tradition of having the state tournament in Frankfort. I have been going there since I was 5 years old and couldn't imagine it being anywhere else. Although the early rounds can get pretty boring, I love the time after the medal rounds while they are setting up for finals. It feels like a party with everyone putting on their body paint and the beach balls and balloons bouncing around and everyone dancing and singing. One thing I think they should do differently is have just those who medaled do the march before finals, not everyone who qualifies at the beginning of the tournament. There are too many wrestlers crowded on the mats. Other than that, I love the way the tournament is.

Count me among those on here that have come from Ohio and wrestled their last high school match in St. John Arena. I was miffed or more blown away that the first Kentucky State Championship I attended was in Atherton's High School gym. Rusty Parks' work in getting it moved to Frankfort is the single biggest improvement Kentucky wrestling has ever under gone. Having a single state champion is something Kentucky does have over Ohio. Additionally, I think it was Gene Wolfe from Franklin County that made the medal stands. Very classy.