Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingtime

Will Union County repeat as state champs?

Will they repeat in 2009?

Can Woodford, North Hardin, or a Louisville team challenge them?

It could be a region 6 team as well

Campbell county

Ryle

I say right now it is Trinitys to lose.  Fahy,Bradbury,Hitchings,and Whiting could all very well tech or pin there way through the state tourny.  That is a lot of points.  Throw in Ohlman, Messina, Gillespie, and Lewis all placing failry high and they should be at the top.  Anything can happen though.

I consider it a fairly close race between Trinity and Union with it still being Trinity's to lose

Trinity has likely champions with Fahy, Bradbury,  Hitchings, and Whiting

Union has Carr, C. Ervin, and I. Ervin

Now I think that if Dee Leavell can keep his head straight he can upset Bradbury for the title this year and then there is also Andy Lenz. If that is the scenario then it all sits on which team has better depth

Union had only 2 champions last year but had lots of high placers. That is the point i'm trying to make. Trinity has the core group of champions but the rest of the team has to make up for Unions balanced roster

North Hardin? :? :? :?

I think he probably meant John Hardin; they did well at the WCI, finishing third behind Wofo and Seneca (they surprised me but they shouldn't have as they usually have a decent team).

I think that Union has a good chance because they do have some potential champs (C. Ervin, I. Ervin and A. Carr) and quite a few potential high placers (L. Ervin, K. Thomas, I. Thomas and N. Reburn).  However, Trinity, Ryle and others are also impressive.  That is why is it so much fun to watch because so many factors come in to play: illness, injury and mental readiness. 

Having state champs is a wonderful thing.  However, if you want to have state championship team you have got to get those points in the wrestlebacks.  Last year Ryle was winning the tournament on Saturday morning.  The morning was tough for Ryle and Union County kept right on going.  That is where the tournament was lost for Ryle.  The placers win the tourney for the team.

Usually 9 placers is that golden # that means a state title. Not always, but I know thats what we shot for when I was wrestling.  Champs are awesome, but placing guys #3-#6 is what gets you those team points.

Woodford will be within striking distance on Saturday morning. Not saying they'll win, but its a possibility.

Now I think that if Dee Leavell can keep his head straight he can upset Bradbury for the title this year and then there is also Andy Lenz. If that is the scenario then it all sits on which team has better depth

Bradbury's level is too high for Leavell to handle, the kid has talent on his feet but on the mat is a different story.  I think Leavell will be lucky to last 6 minutes.

I don't think it is all that unusal for the team champion not to have an individual champ, is it?

I know it has happened before, but let's look at it the other way.  If Trinity's #1s come through, has a team ever had 4 or 5 champs and not won the title?  I'm guessing not.  In 2006 Woodford didn't get the magic 9, but 5 winners (plus 3 other placers) and no one was close to them.

First of all I wouldn't underestimate Leavell come state time. Bradbury maybe on another level this year but I'm sure you haven't see Leavell. I'm sure everyone thought that Dan Smith was on a different level than Leavell last year but he held his own and Smith

snuck out a 7-6 match I believe.

Second of all I would not not not put Whiting up there as a for sure state champ pinning or teching his way through. Now that is going overboard. Croney pinned him easily in the second period last year. I'm sorry but right now Whiting will have to prove himself as consistant WRESTLER. Fahy may have a challege in Paden so i see no tech or pin there. Hitchings I can see being very dominant through the state tourney. If Bradbury thinks the state tourney will be a cakewalk he's in for a rude awakening. I can see Olhman pulling out a state championship I believe he's on that level this year. Union County will be tough to beat though. Watch out for L. Ervin this year I'm sure he's hungry for a state title and doesn't want to go out his senior year as one of the only Ervins to never win one.

First of all I wouldn't underestimate Leavell come state time. Bradbury maybe on another level this year but I'm sure you haven't see Leavell. I'm sure everyone thought that Dan Smith was on a different level than Leavell last year but he held his own and Smith

snuck out a 7-6 match I believe.

Second of all I would not not not put Whiting up there as a for sure state champ pinning or teching his way through. Now that is going overboard. Croney pinned him easily in the second period last year. I'm sorry but right now Whiting will have to prove himself as consistant WRESTLER. Fahy may have a challege in Paden so i see no tech or pin there. Hitchings I can see being very dominant through the state tourney. If Bradbury thinks the state tourney will be a cakewalk he's in for a rude awakening. I can see Olhman pulling out a state championship I believe he's on that level this year. Union County will be tough to beat though. Watch out for L. Ervin this year I'm sure he's hungry for a state title and doesn't want to go out his senior year as one of the only Ervins to never win one.

Honestly, I think Fahy has the best of chance of winning out of the group. Although they all have a really good chance of winning it.

Honestly, I think Fahy has the best of chance of winning out of the group. Although they all have a really good chance of winning it.

I do too. Paden may be the only one who lasts 6 min. with him.

I'm with you.  Here is how I would order them:  Fahy, Hitchings, Bradbury, Whiting, Ohlmann.  I only see one match for the first 3 not being at least a major (more likely techs or pins).  Whiting and Ohlmann could have a couple closer matches.

Bradbury's level is too high for Leavell to handle, the kid has talent on his feet but on the mat is a different story.  I think Leavell will be lucky to last 6 minutes.

That matchup sounds a lot like Elam vs. Bradbury last year. Elam proved last year that you don't have to be the best on the mat to win a Title. Leavell looks like he has about no % body fat this year as well. Hope they meet in the finals if they do wrestle.

That matchup sounds a lot like Elam vs. Bradbury last year. Elam proved last year that you don't have to be the best on the mat to win a Title. Leavell looks like he has about no % body fat this year as well. Hope they meet in the finals if they do wrestle.

On what team does Leavell wrestle?