CJDM250

Can you believe this idiot?!?!?!?!

Sorry guys I just have to vent for second and talk to some people that truely understand.  Let me explain.  One of my youth league wrestler's mom works at the gym I work out at everyday.  Well this kid is very athletic, 3 maybe 4 sport athlete.  Well this trainer at the gym that does aerobics for older women told my wrestlers yesterday that he, "needs to get out of wrestling and into basketball" because "wrestling is the sport that all the kids do when they can't play anything else" and get this "because wrestling requires the least amount of athletic ability then all other sports".  Naturally I was fired up when my wrestler and his mom told me this.  So this guy has the nerve today to ask me if I wanted to go to the gym and shoot ball with him!! I replied no because it requires no athletic ability.  Well then it was on we got in an argument for about an hour.  My argument was not against basketball because I respect all sports and I know some basketball players who work their butts off and are very successful.  My argument was that wrestling requires more athletic ability then any other sport.  He told me that any basketball player could be a successful wrestler so I told him to pick one, he say ok then Shaq who woud beat him, I said any olympic heavyweight wrestler, I threw out Rany Coutore.  By the end of the argument he made the agreement that we would play a game of one on one basketball and then we will wrestle one match and he actually thinks he can hold his own with me!! I don't want to brag but i'm pretty good at basketball and I'm willing to play him for 6 minutes on the mat with him.  I can't believe there are people out there that actually think that way!!! If he doesn't back out I will video tape the match and post it on here so that you guys can watch me educate this guy on the athletic ability of wrestlers.  Sorry this was so long but I'm still kinda heated.  Thanks guys I just wanted to blow off some steam.

idk what yall are talking about but I can totally relate to basketball thing.  Wrestlers are totally underestimated for everything they do.  To everyone else,  they are just a bunch of homosexuals that like grabbing other guys,  they just don't understand how grappling works and how much work you need to put into it.  I hear about it all the time.  It makes me sick.  I would love to see the match whenever you post it.  But yeah, it really grinds my gears to hear what everyone outside of wrestling really thinks about this sport.  They dont give it a chance.

Don't waste your time with that guy. Bottom line is, we live in Kentucky, a basketball state. Furthermore, jackasses are ubiquitous.  Basketball players are probably treated poorly in Iowa. The guy is ignorant to the sport and not worth your time or trouble. Although, there is a dark side of me who would like to pain him on the mat. I simply try to keep that inner demon locked away these days.

I played baseball, football and wrestled and loved each sport the greatest during it's season. Basketball has some of the greatest athletes ever ( Micheal Jordan for example). Personally, I don't feel there is competition between the sports. I have never seen a basketball coach look at a wrestler and say, " I wish he played on my basketball team." I have seen some pretty big muscular basketball players who could have been pretty good wrestlers. Wrestle because you love the sport and you like knocking heads. A wrestler should never need praise from ignorant bystanders unfamiliar with the sport.

Interestingly, 2 out of the 3 years I was in high school, a wrestler won the senior superlative for most athletic.  The other year was won by a football player.

Please let me know when you destroy this idiot, I will pay money to see this guy on his back gasping for air.  Well make a Saturday out of it, I'll pick up Danger, Bop and Ranger we we'll laugh all the way home. 

This reminds me of a situation that happened in our wrestling room after the season was over.  Our 152 and 112 were up in the room goofing around when a kid wondered over from the weight room.  Not just any kid, this kid was our schools best athlete --  played football, basketball and ran track. He was good enough in football to get a full ride to Centre.  We'll he challenges our 52 to a match. OK, our 52 is a second year wrestle who only won about ten matches last year, and didn't place in regionals.  However, what our 52 lacks in skill he make up for in heart, so its on.  After about ten second of shuffling around our boy shoots, takes the superstar down, sinks in a half and its pin city.  Superstar rejects his defeat blaming it on his slippery socks and demands a rematch.  Once again ten seconds to a take down, but this time our 52 sinks both legs in and starts to squeeze.  Immediately superstars face plows into the mat, our boy sinks in a power half and makes the turn.  Forty five second pin!!  Superstar gets up stunned and states that he didn't think our guy was that good.  Our 52  responded "I'm not" but he walked around school for the next couple of days like he had won state.

Don't waste your time with that guy. Bottom line is, we live in Kentucky, a basketball state. Furthermore, jackasses are ubiquitous.  Basketball players are probably treated poorly in Iowa. The guy is ignorant to the sport and not worth your time or trouble. Although, there is a dark side of me who would like to pain him on the mat. I simply try to keep that inner demon locked away these days.

Usually I would agree with you on this IPEA. But:

This person is influencing kids and people outside the school in the community.  If he is a trainer at a gym then he will be influencing people who respect him.  Because he is a trainer they believe he must know what he is saying. 

Now I am not naive enough to believe that this venture will change his mind, but I do think he may at least get his eyes opened to what the sport is about.  I at least hope this happens. This way he may stop influencing other people who are not familiar with wrestling. 

P.S. Now for a little class lesson on the "Collage word" word that IPEA used.  :-D :mrgreen:

ubiquitous---Means everywhere or omnipotent.

This can be the word of the day.  :-D

Usually I would agree with you on this IPEA. But:

This person is influencing kids and people outside the school in the community.   If he is a trainer at a gym then he will be influencing people who respect him.  Because he is a trainer they believe he must know what he is saying. 

Now I am not naive enough to believe that this venture will change his mind, but I do think he may at least get his eyes opened to what the sport is about.  I at least hope this happens. This way he may stop influencing other people who are not familiar with wrestling. 

P.S. Now for a little class lesson on the "Collage word" word that IPEA used.   :-D :mrgreen:

ubiquitous---Means everywhere or omnipotent.

This can be the word of the day.  :-D

lol collage is mispelled, it is spelled "college" lol

Sorry guys I just have to vent for second and talk to some people that truely understand.  Let me explain.  One of my youth league wrestler's mom works at the gym I work out at everyday.  Well this kid is very athletic, 3 maybe 4 sport athlete.  Well this trainer at the gym that does aerobics for older women told my wrestlers yesterday that he, "needs to get out of wrestling and into basketball" because "wrestling is the sport that all the kids do when they can't play anything else" and get this "because wrestling requires the least amount of athletic ability then all other sports".  Naturally I was fired up when my wrestler and his mom told me this.  So this guy has the nerve today to ask me if I wanted to go to the gym and shoot ball with him!! I replied no because it requires no athletic ability.  Well then it was on we got in an argument for about an hour.  My argument was not against basketball because I respect all sports and I know some basketball players who work their butts off and are very successful.  My argument was that wrestling requires more athletic ability then any other sport.  He told me that any basketball player could be a successful wrestler so I told him to pick one, he say ok then Shaq who woud beat him, I said any olympic heavyweight wrestler, I threw out Rany Coutore.  By the end of the argument he made the agreement that we would play a game of one on one basketball and then we will wrestle one match and he actually thinks he can hold his own with me!! I don't want to brag but i'm pretty good at basketball and I'm willing to play him for 6 minutes on the mat with him.  I can't believe there are people out there that actually think that way!!! If he doesn't back out I will video tape the match and post it on here so that you guys can watch me educate this guy on the athletic ability of wrestlers.  Sorry this was so long but I'm still kinda heated.  Thanks guys I just wanted to blow off some steam.

Yeah, I wouldnt waste my time on the guy foreal. He has no idea what wrestlers sacrifice or go through.

Anyone could survive a basketball practice, not everyone could make it through a wrestling practice without complaining or coming out with a headake..

lol collage is mispelled, it is spelled "college" lol

Hey give me a break.  :-o  Did you see what time I made the comment?  I was not awake yet.

Plus to make it even more funny,  look at the bold on your quoted post. 

You can do it!!  Break his freaking neck!!!

Seriously, unfortunately, this is an attitude our sport is up against.  I've heard some stories recently of schools that won't start wrestling programs for fear it will take away from their basketball programs.  This is a shame, because it really doesn't seem like the 2 sports would compete for the same athletes.  As IPEA pointed out, not many basketball coaches are going to go recruiting bball players from the wrestling team.  It takes different types of athletes really.

I had a very similar argument with a friend of mine who was a 3 sport athlete and has boxed for a while.  I think we kind of came to an understanding when i asked him to define athleticism.  There are certain things that basketball players will most likely be a lot better than most wrestlers at.  JUMPING for example.  But that's only 1 part of the equation.  I don't know how everyone else would define "athleticism" or "athletic ability", but I think some things that are important are balance, stamina, strength, quickness, explosiveness.  I'd give the edge to wrestlers in these categories.  And to me what's even more important than someone's God given natural athletic ability is how hard they work.  For that, I can say I have no doubt it goes to the wrestler.  

Sounds like this guy is a real knothead.  You're probably better off ignoring him....but I am DEFINITELY looking forward to you posting the video!  That will be a classic!

My son is a 4 sport athlete, wrestling, basketball, football, baseball.  He hears a lot from team mates in sports other than wrestling that think they can "take him".  This spring after a baseball practice he called some of the big mouths  out.  A few that had made remarks were afraid to even try when it came down to it.  There where about 8 or 9 that tried their luck though.  A few of them being much taller and weighing 60-70lbs more than my son.  My son has been wrestling for about 6 years.  He pinned each one of them just as fast as he wanted to.  Many of them came back for second tries only to get the same results.  He pinned them so fast that endurance wasn't even an issue.  It was very fun to watch.  It really opened the eyes of some of those kids and a couple of them are planning to come out for wrestling this season now.

This is all well and good, but wrestling doesn't need anything to make it seem more of a bloodsport, a thugsport, or a place where people go just to beat other people up.

We all know what it is.

However, let's not always make it a point to portray it to the public as that.  Yes, a wrestler may beat the crud out of a basketball player.  So what?  That does nothing for the sport other than make us look like the worse of the pair.  NOT TO SAY Muncy is going to do that, I think him proving this guy wrong is a good thing, but some of the posts past his seem to be out for blood.  We don't need that as a sport.  We all know it's there, we all know how hard wrestling is, and we all know what sacrifices it takes.

We don't have to prove our point with a beating all the time.  To prove our point at North, we invited the basketball team to our conditioning sessions.  It took 1 session for them to realize how much to respect wrestling, and they shut their mouths.  Then they came back the next day to condition with us.  Now it's a tradition, and instead of opposing each other, we have wrestlers supporting the basketball team, and basketball players coming to meets.

Just another viewpoint.

I keep waiting to here: My dad can beat up your dad!

Maybe I grew up in a different time, but my high school, back in the dark ages, didn't have competition between the athletes and sports. Many of us played multiple sports. The same group of athletes won team state championships in both wrestling and football in 1983. There were 9 wrestlers on the state team football team, all of whom were starters.  2 of us were state champs and 1 state runner up in wrestling.  Many of the basketball players came to our wrestling matches and we all went to the basketball games. It was fun and we all had a blast. School spirit is awesome. Don't contribute to this superficial divisive conquest that one sport is better than another. I would be willing to bet the >1000 Woodford County fans in the stands at the state meet are not just wrestlers. They seem to bring half of their student body to the meet. Woodford has spirit and I admire them for it. In fact, many of us are simply jealous of their great program year after year and their great team spirit.

I admire anyone who can elevate and synchronize their minds and bodies to achieve an athletic goal. I want to see that an athlete did their homework and took their sport to the max. Be-it in basketball, football, baseball, tennis or golf etc. I believe the best athlete in the world currently playing sports is probably a tennis player, Roger Federer. ( before questioning or disagreeding with this, investigate what he has accomplished in the last few years, it is simply unprecedented in tennis or athletics)  Look at Tiger Woods. I love athletics.  Pick a sport and elevate, even if it is full contact chess. When we make silly comments about who are better athletes it demonstrates immaturity and total disregard for other fellow athletes and their sacrifices. Take the high road, like all good wrestlers should do!

At Caldwell basketball is much bigger than wrestling, but the basketball players know that wrestling takes more athletic ability, because one of the kids that played basketball tried to wrestle and didnt even make it through running before practice. thay respect the wrestlers and a few of them even go to duals and tournaments,after they went to our tournament and seen the competition and dedication each wrestler had.

That's true eville dad, but can try to send the right message to the kids that read this board.

Wrestling isn't about elitism.  It shouldn't be.  We shouldn't be teaching kids that it is their duty to defend wrestling with their hands/ prove that it must, has to, no question is, the toughest sport.

Truly, what does it matter if someone doesn't agree that it's tough?  Is our skin so thin that we have to beat our opinion into others?

That's true eville dad, but can try to send the right message to the kids that read this board.

Wrestling isn't about elitism.  It shouldn't be.  We shouldn't be teaching kids that it is their duty to defend wrestling with their hands/ prove that it must, has to, no question is, the toughest sport.

Truly, what does it matter if someone doesn't agree that it's tough?  Is our skin so thin that we have to beat our opinion into others?

Absolutely  :-D  (kidding of course)

I don't think that anyone has posted that they randomly grab people off the street and wrestle them into submission on a daily basis.  I think the topic was more about how some kids (and adults) think that they can beat a wrestler at wrestling simply because they're good at another sport.  I don't see anything at all wrong with giving someone the opportunity to give it a shot.  In most cases it leads to an instant paradigm shift and also sometimes brings kids to the sport.  I don't think bloodsport is a good reference for the sport but I do know that the rough and tough nature of it brings in more kids than if you sit around on the mat singing kumbaya.

i get into this every day at school. "oh wrestlings gay i could smash you." i hear it everyday. i challenge people all the time. i could beat the crap out of kids all day but they will always come up with some reason why they lost."oh i was sick/i just ate/i lifted yesterday/it was a fluke." it doesn't matter, what ever u do people still think what they are gunna think. bottom line.you can change peoples point of view but ur never gunna get it through their heads. its a never ending battle.

I agree with you 100% that we shouldn't "beat our opinion" into others.  No question there.  And all the people that have been part of this sport...KNOW how tough it is.  No one has anything to prove in my opinion there.  But in this case, it seems like the trainer at the gym is going out of his way to put down wrestling.  And even worse, trying to persuade a kid to give it up to go to another sport - BASKETBALL of all things.  I love basketball, nothing against it.  But in this state, they have it waayyy too easy, and wrestling programs are struggling to survive.  I can't fault a wrestling coach for getting a little defensive in this guy's shoes.  I don't know, maybe i'm wrong.  Who knows.  I don't know what the culture is at N. Oldham....frankly, the Oldham county schools in general to me have probably the best support for all their sports that i've ever seen in this state.  So it might be different there.  At my school growing up, this was a sore subject.  

IPEA - I agree about the school spirit, that's a great point.  But you can't tell me you haven't ran across a guy LIKE this trainer guy...who thinks wrestlers are "cretans", and it's a sport beneath basketball.  

People that are so IGNORANT make me mad.

Not trying to offend by saying that but know the true meaning of ignorance before we go on.

Ignorant-uneducated in the fundamentals of a given art or branch of learning; lacking knowledge of a specific field; "she is ignorant of quantum mechanics"; "he is musically illiterate"

People just don't know the history of this sport. If only they knew. I know it makes me mad when people at my school say "oh, six minutes on the mat is nothing." It just fires me up enough to say "well then come out and wrestle me for six minutes!" By that time they say they have something better to do. I always keep to myself about most of the stuff I'd like to say though because they never comprehend me anyway.

Give the guy what he ask for,a wrestling match.When I feel confident in a match I dont go for pins,I go for mat time. I think it is good for both guys on the mat to get as much wrestling in as possible.Now this being said give him what he ask for 6 minutes on the mat.You can use my mat if you need too.

I agree with you 100% that we shouldn't "beat our opinion" into others.  No question there.  And all the people that have been part of this sport...KNOW how tough it is.  No one has anything to prove in my opinion there.  But in this case, it seems like the trainer at the gym is going out of his way to put down wrestling.  And even worse, trying to persuade a kid to give it up to go to another sport - BASKETBALL of all things.  I love basketball, nothing against it.  But in this state, they have it waayyy too easy, and wrestling programs are struggling to survive.  I can't fault a wrestling coach for getting a little defensive in this guy's shoes.  I don't know, maybe i'm wrong.  Who knows.  I don't know what the culture is at N. Oldham....frankly, the Oldham county schools in general to me have probably the best support for all their sports that i've ever seen in this state.  So it might be different there.  At my school growing up, this was a sore subject.  

IPEA - I agree about the school spirit, that's a great point.  But you can't tell me you haven't ran across a guy LIKE this trainer guy...who thinks wrestlers are "cretans", and it's a sport beneath basketball.  

Yes I have run across guys like the trainer and I beat them up! lol.

Don't go around bashing other athletes. Remember, in life, it is always the athletes-vs- the band members! Take away his flute and hit him with it. (lol, just kidding)