Sign in to follow this  
Jrodc

Future 5 timers ?

You being in the military has absolutely nothing to do with your statement that 106 is a JV weightclass and me thinking that is a dumb statement has absolutely nothing to do with my opinion on yoyr service which i thank you for... And i still think your opinion is not very intelligent and there is no real facts to support your case other than you dont like the little guys...

Edited by tja
Correction

You jacked a thread made a statement that facts easily disprove you can have your opinion that 106 is a "JV" weightclass and i along with basically the entire wrestling community has the right to think that your opinion is wrong because facts simply support that the lighter weights are pretty skilled and far from JV..

2 hours ago, Nkawtg said:

Why the insults?

El CID is anythjng but JV. Maybe you don't care for the military?  What gives?

106 is a JV weight class. It's full of middle schoolers, frosh and sophomores competing against each other. That's not what varsity athletics is supposed to be. 

My statement was used to point out the ridiculousness of you and your statement. Funny how you take insult to it but don't find the same problem with your message.  A bit of a double standard you're living, isn't it?   El Cid has a coach that had accumulated a .500 record over 16 years and has 4 AA in the history of its wrestling program.  It would be easy to paint it's wrestling program with a broad stroke and say it shouldn't be a D1 program but it would also be wrong.  They have some very capable wrestlers.  The same with 106 and 113.  Heck, the most sought after senior in the country this year, Spencer Lee, wrestled 113 as a junior last year and he was far from JV. 

11 hours ago, Nkawtg said:

Doesn't that unfairly disadvantage private schools who don't enroll middle schoolers?

I'm pretty sure private schools are allowed to pull from their feeder schools, this assumes it's a religious school.

Just now, Zeus said:

I'm pretty sure private schools are allowed to pull from their feeder schools, this assumes it's a religious school.

Neither St. X, Trinity, nor DeSales have or are able to do so to my knowledge. But none of the three have struggled filling 106

3 hours ago, Nkawtg said:

Why the insults?

El CID is anythjng but JV. Maybe you don't care for the military?  What gives?

106 is a JV weight class. It's full of middle schoolers, frosh and sophomores competing against each other. That's not what varsity athletics is supposed to be. 

Union county lineup 

2-8th 

4-fresh

2-soph

3 - jr 

3- sr 

they seem to be doing alright.

Good to know FalconWrestling.

Carr won his 8th grade title at 103, lost a close match in the finals at 119 to Greg Woodring, a senior I think who was tough in his one right, and is on this site by the way.  Carr then won at 126, 140 and 145 I believe.

Can we all acknowledge how special Austin Myers was by the way.  He won as a freshman at 220 against, correct me if I'm wrong, a senior returning state champ.

20 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Can we all acknowledge how special Austin Myers was by the way.  He won as a freshman at 220 against, correct me if I'm wrong, a senior returning state champ.

where did that come from?

I don't think anyone has forgotten him. 

It's relevant to this conversation because we're discussing younger wrestlers winning titles at lower weight classes, whereas he did it at 220.  Same point as Harrison Courtney doing it at the middle weights, but even more so I think.

14 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

where did that come from?

I don't think anyone has forgotten him. 

Joe Carr Jr. was far from a JV kid as an 8th grader. Even his freshman year he was significantly better than several of the wrestlers in his division at 119. I was also lucky enough to compete as a 8th grader for UC at 112. Brad Ervin and Junior Brown were also on that team and competed at a varsity level. Brad was our varsity 103 while Junior was varsity 170 I believe. We all gained valuable experience from being on a varsity team and competing at a high level. So, if a 7th or 8th grader can compete no matter the weight, there shouldn't be anyone stopping them from doing so. JMO

• Upvote 1

So it looks like there are about 20 or so middle schoolers wrestling this weekend so they all have a shot at it . I think Zeke can do it along with little Moore. Duke has a tougher time because his so dam big and will face Jr's. And srs.

I simply do not accept that a freshman who wins a state title at 106 is any better than a solid freshman getting spanked by 17-18 year olds at 160. 

I'm much more impressed with what Zane Brown has done as a sophomore at 152 and what Kadin Kulmer is doing at 182 than I am with a freshman beating freshman and 8th graders to win 106. 

who is little moore?  Ryan's younger brother I assume?  Is he wrestling HS or is he just dominating middle school already so folks assume he will win 5 titles?

2 hours ago, REscalera said:

My statement was used to point out the ridiculousness of you and your statement. Funny how you take insult to it but don't find the same problem with your message.  A bit of a double standard you're living, isn't it?   El Cid has a coach that had accumulated a .500 record over 16 years and has 4 AA in the history of its wrestling program.  It would be easy to paint it's wrestling program with a broad stroke and say it shouldn't be a D1 program but it would also be wrong.  They have some very capable wrestlers.  The same with 106 and 113.  Heck, the most sought after senior in the country this year, Spencer Lee, wrestled 113 as a junior last year and he was far from JV. 

The Citadel has done exceptionally well at the DI level in having multiple all Americans. We only have a student body of 2000 cadets. Geez. 

New York sponsors a 98 lb class at the JV level...at least recently. I'm sure they still do. Those are great wrestlers. Same for 106. It's a JV Weighy since it's mainly freshman. 

Youth and middle school wrestling in Kentucky is an abomination right now compared to other states.  Having far too many middle school weight classes makes for ridiculously long days and that loses kids in the end.  

Why not have an 80 lb class at the KHSAA tournament and bring in some 6th graders?  Because that's ridiculous as it is a high school tournament. Same goes for 8th graders and 106. 

I know for a fact people all over the country are contemplating making some of these changes. Wade Schalles makes some of these points often as well. 

He has a real legitimate sho

1 hour ago, 119Rider said:

My hope is that the 5 timer streak continues at UC with Zeke.

I think he has a real legitmate shot. Technique wise I  think he might be a little bit ahead of where Brock was at this point. I like Yost to get his secon this year partially because everyone seems to be writing him off.

15 minutes ago, Nkawtg said:

The Citadel has done exceptionally well at the DI level in having multiple all Americans. We only have a student body of 2000 cadets. Geez. 

New York sponsors a 98 lb class at the JV level...at least recently. I'm sure they still do. Those are great wrestlers. Same for 106. It's a JV Weighy since it's mainly freshman. 

Youth and middle school wrestling in Kentucky is an abomination right now compared to other states.  Having far too many middle school weight classes makes for ridiculously long days and that loses kids in the end.  

Why not have an 80 lb class at the KHSAA tournament and bring in some 6th graders?  Because that's ridiculous as it is a high school tournament. Same goes for 8th graders and 106. 

I know for a fact people all over the country are contemplating making some of these changes. Wade Schalles makes some of these points often as well. 

99 lbs in NY is a varsity weight.   As for our weight classes, at any level, do they not mirror those set forth by USA wrestling?   Man you are good for chuckles. Stick around dude. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, tja said:

He has a real legitimate sho

I think he has a real legitmate shot. Technique wise I  think he might be a little bit ahead of where Brock was at this point. I like Yost to get his secon this year partially because everyone seems to be writing him off.

Not me: see my predictions. 

Also: Seth Slayton (8th grader from Caldwell) qualified at 152 for state. Ethan Tomerlin (8th grader from Ft. Campbell) qualified as well at 170.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, REscalera said:

99 lbs in NY is a varsity weight.   As for our weight classes, at any level, do they not mirror those set forth by USA wrestling?   Man you are good for chuckles. Stick around dude. 

Tell Zeke a state title will only count once he is at 126 or above because those little guys are JV im sure he will get a good laugh..

6 minutes ago, tja said:

Tell Zeke a state title will only count once he is at 126 or above because those little guys are JV im sure he will get a good laugh..

He's got to win one first before I talk to him about state titles.  Anything can happen on the big stage.  It can have very bad consequences for his title hopes the minute he starts looking past any wrestler.  If he can make it to the semi finals he will have some very tough wrestlers ahead of him.  All, of which,  are very capable of beating him.  

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Nkawtg said:

I'll answer your question with another question: why have weight classes at all?  Why not just have one class and everyone wrestles in one bracket regardless of age and weight?  Let's just have one champion!  That sounds pretty ridiculous too, right? 

At some point, you have to have the lightest weight class. Proposing doing away with 106 and eliminating MS wrestlers from competing does nothing but eliminate opportunities for kids to participate.  I don't see how that helps anything.  I personally don't think HWT or 220 is nearly as hard to compete in compared to 106, but I still appreciate the benefit of having those weights.  

Everyone knows Kentucky is not a powerhouse in wrestling, but I am sure there would be MS kids competing for and possibly winning HS state in powerhouse states if given the opportunity.  The fact that we allow it makes us somewhat unique and helps teams field a full team which should be viewed as a good thing. 

• Upvote 4

All the discussion of numbers being down, perennial top teams not even fielding a full roster, some brackets not being full at regions and this guy's solution is to get rid of middle school competitors altogether because he thinks 106 and 113 aren't big enough to be considered "varsity" whatever the hell that means. Makes zero sense.

• Upvote 2