Sign in to follow this  
purpleandgold

KHSAA TV Announcers Are A Joke

I don't know who these Internet TV announcers are but it is a shame that they cannot even pronounce many of the wrestlers' names right. They continued to butcher many names including Sheffer, Meiman, Frankrone and a couple others I'm forgetting. These kids earned their way here and KHSAA can't even give them the respect of something as simple as getting their names right. Even worse, the announcers continued to endlessly babble during the face offs. Great job, KHSAA. Way to cheapen the whole experience for those who deserve their moment.

• Upvote 2

I don't know who these Internet TV announcers are but it is a shame that they cannot even pronounce many of the wrestlers' names right. They continued to butcher many names including Sheffer, Meiman, Frankrone and a couple others I'm forgetting. These kids earned their way here and KHSAA can't even give them the respect of something as simple as getting their names right. Even worse, the announcers continued to endlessly babble during the face offs. Great job, KHSAA. Way to cheapen the whole experience for those who deserve their moment.

This is all on the announcers.  You have to prepare in order to do that job.  It's the same pair as last year doing the commentary, and I don't remember them being this bad.  You can blame the KHSAA for keeping them next year.  

Quit whining. If you don't like what they have to say turn the volume down. Coach Parks was asked and agreed to do this. You all are acting like he gets paid millions of dollars to do this. Do some research???? Since you are the wrestling expert you volunteer next year. That way THOSE who actually want to discuss WRESTLING won't have to wade through the morass to find it.

Quit whining. If you don't like what they have to say turn the volume down. Coach Parks was asked and agreed to do this. You all are acting like he gets paid millions of dollars to do this. Do some research???? Since you are the wrestling expert you volunteer next year. That way THOSE who actually want to discuss WRESTLING won't have to wade through the morass to find it.

I'd love to do it.  I also know how hard it is, as I've announced football games for several years, and I know how offended people get when you get names wrong, so I can feel the announcers pain. But  it only takes a couple of minutes to ask about pronunciations, so research is probably the wrong word to use.  And I'm sure it wouldn't matter who did it, there would likely be complaints, just like coaching and referreeing.  And while it is a little annoying, it's not really that big of a deal, and my point, was not to blame the KHSAA, who get's blamed for everything.  I respect anyone who is willing to put themselves out there in front of the public.

You're serious, right Shuffle? The overall commentary was decent. No issues there. They had no clue how to say anyone's name. Hell, he even mispronounced Frankrone's name 3 different ways 3 different times during his match. He couldn't even be consistent doing that. I agree, rjs, it isn't KHSAA's fault but it certainly is someone's fault.

Yes they pronounced some names wrong and had some info wrong here and there but let's be real , They could have been a lot worse they knew the sport had some inside knowledge of a lot of the teams and had experience from the last couple yrs so they knew what was going on , I have seen sports where the commentators are from other sports and didn't have a clue whatsoever was going on .Hats off to those guys they were polite and tried to talk nice about EVERYONE,let's do the same for them.After knocking them I doubt they would be up for a neat suggestion that would be showing and commentating from quarters on , That would be cool even if things were even more lost in the shuffle at least people could watch and see more of the kids in the state not just the finalists .or perhaps they could film it and have a few different commentators .

The little name mistakes are no big deal some kids Never get their names pronounced right and after about ten Yrs of it you just laugh and go on .

Problem in getting kids names right in wrestling is you have tio go to multiple teams/sources to account for everyone. And how do you find them? No free time during the matches.

In football or basketball, you ask someone from each team and you are done.

I enjoyed it, how often do you get to hear someone of Coach Parks expertise talk so openly about the matches and the sport in general.

I truly appreciate the KHSAA broadcasting the event.

Great job by all!

• Upvote 1

I enjoyed it, how often do you get to hear someone of Coach Parks expertise talk so openly about the matches and the sport in general.

I truly appreciate the KHSAA broadcasting the event.

Great job by all!

My thoughts exactly , thought he did very well and knew about a lot of kids and teams and he was very polite and knowledgable.Glad he took the time to introduce himself to me at the tournament He is a stand up guy from everything I could tell ,

Any announcer that we get it is better than nothing.  Agree with Double Leg Shuffle, if you don't like it then put it on mute.  Coach Parks is an awesome coach and probably the best choice, the winningest coach in KY history.  Perhaps someone who has an issue could advise him next year about name pronunciations instead of just complaining on the internet.

So is it Angel like with wings or whatever the heck the other guy kept saying lol and who is Steven Myers and coach parks caught the guy when he said Mears and that was a new one , I enjoyed the commentators .

So is it Angel like with wings or whatever the heck the other guy kept saying

It depends on if you're saying it in English or Spanish.  Angel (like w/wings) is the English pronunciation; Ángel is Spanish.  Kudos to whoever was trying it in Spanish.

And while we're at it...there's no "w" sound after the q in "Vasquez".

http://www.pronouncenames.com/pronounce/angel

http://www.pronouncenames.com/pronounce/vasquez

It depends on if you're saying it in English or Spanish. Angel (like w/wings) is the English pronunciation; Ángel is Spanish. Kudos to whoever was trying it in Spanish.

And while we're at it...there's no "w" sound after the q in "Vasquez".

http://www.pronouncenames.com/pronounce/angel

http://www.pronouncenames.com/pronounce/vasquez

lol,nice. Easy way to explain is say "on hell" :) great kids and great parents.
  • Upvote 1

lol,nice. Easy way to explain is say "on hell" :) great kids and great parents.

I'll have to remember that, never heard it that way before!!  ;-)  Agree...met his mom last year & she was very nice.

I personally don't give a crap about the quality of the announcers...I'm just glad they did it at all. The video quality was awesome! I was able to go back and watch my son's match without all of the anxiety associated when watching live. Awesome! As someone said earlier, at least the guys know wrestling. I watched a Big Ten Network dual match and they used students who knew nothing about the sport and it was a joke....so bad it was actually funny. Thanks Coach Parks for stepping up and taking it on.

I personally don't give a crap about the quality of the announcers...I'm just glad they did it at all. The video quality was awesome! I was able to go back and watch my son's match without all of the anxiety associated when watching live. Awesome! As someone said earlier, at least the guys know wrestling. I watched a Big Ten Network dual match and they used students who knew nothing about the sport and it was a joke....so bad it was actually funny. Thanks Coach Parks for stepping up and taking it on.

You must have watched on a night when they let students do everything in production then. The last time I watched a match on BTN the announcers were well-versed and knew what they were talking about.

Sign in to follow this