Sign in to follow this  
coffeesgood

dominic lampe

When I heard about the situation last night, I was absolutely sick.

I love these kids as if they are my own, and watched many, including Dom, AJ and Tyler grow up through the program.

As a St. X dad, I am very conflicted. While I appreciate the discipline the school instills in the kids, I just feel that this punishment is very harsh. In a case such as this, there are circumstances that should come into play.

I know the rules are the rules, but I have always thought the policy itself was very harsh.

Not many know that St. X holds their athletes to a high standard when it comes to their rules. In the Freshman orientation for parents, I was like whoa. Then I went home and tried to scare the crap out of my kid so he wouldn’t be tempted to try anything that could put his sport in jeopardy.

In AJ’s case if I recall, something happened, I thought it was i the summer, but I could be wrong. I didn’t agree with that at all if that was the case. 

Before anyone goes bashing, that’s what I am saying, I am conflicted. But I agree with Mike on this one. It just hurts real bad to see a kid of this caliber, talent and I can tell you what many might not know, by far the hardest worker in the room, lose an opportunity for something that I feel personally is not a big deal.

Andy & Mike – As always, I’ll be rooting for AJ and Tyler.

Jeff – I’m so sorry, and I appreciate everything you and your family have done personally for Dallas.

-          Brad Miles 

• Upvote 1

Tough spot to be in for sure. I always try to look for some kind of silver lining. Maybe Dominic's pain and sacrifice will benifit  someone else. If some other kid sees the cost he paid, maybe it will help them to do the right thing in whatever situation or temptation he is facing.

It already has.  This morning, before school, I had to tell my elementary aged son that his favorite wrestler will not be participating in the State Championships.  Dominic is my son's favorite wrestler...and one of mine.  He actually spoke to my son one time and it meant a great deal to him.

I cannot begin to understand how the Lampe family feels right now, nor will I try to act as if I can.  But I do know that my son learned a valuable lesson this morning...no one is above the rules.  (I am certainly not implying that Dominic thinks, or thought, that he is...he is a fine young man and one that I encouraged, and will continue to encourage,  my son to imitate.)  

Either way this situation played out...there were going to be posts that were critical of the decision.  If X decided to let him participate, people would criticize them for bending the rules, preferring special athletes, and only caring about State Titles.  They chose to go the other route, however, and now we see the results.  We can say they were "Unchristian" in their decision, but we must also understand that "showing no partiality" and "doing what you say you will do" are also Christian traits that X is to demonstrate...not that any of us are perfect at it.  If this had taken place earlier in the season, it might not have been the issue it is now.  We can argue the merits of the punishment or just realize it was a terribly timed event.  Either way, I, and my son, will miss seeing Dominic on the mat in eight days.

• Upvote 3

I agree this seems really harsh and is unfortunate for Domunic, but the rules are explicit. Timing is just the worst.

It stinks for him but ob the flip side you've got to admire StX for sticking to its principles regarding athletes.

I imagine this lesson will resonate for a long time and keep other kids from being tempted to get away with something.

• Upvote 2

A few people mentioned someone else getting a shot to wrestle in Domonic's absence, but did this come too late to change the lineup? Does St. X just have to forfeit in the 170 class?

dominic lampe will not get to wrestle at region or state because he had a can of dip in his backpack and tobacco products are considered drugs at st. x. This is his first time ever in 4yrs there of any violation of any kind . I new there would be alot of rumors and I thought it best to just get the truth out . Dominic is going to wrestle at chattanooga with his brothers so he will get over it.Dominic is a great son and has been a good student his punishment seems extreme but there is nothing we can do but move on.    jeff lampe

Jeff:  My heart goes out to you.  I COMPLETELY understand your feelings right now.  I have three sons who wrestled in high school.  One was a senior at a high school in Tennessee - ranked #1 in the state - undefeated.  Got in a car with kids who were drinking and was suspended the week before the Regional tournament.  I was the Tournament Director for that Regional Tournament and had to face the coaches and explain why my son wasn't wrestling.  That was over 15 years ago and it still hurts to think about it.  People will tell you that he will get over it...and he will.  People will tell you that YOU will get over it...and you will to some degree.  However, the disappointment you feel, that I felt, hurts a father.  I was more disappointed FOR him than I was IN him.  My only advice - I took my son to the state tournament and he coached and cheered for his teammates.  He and I spent a lot of time together that weekend.  The stuff of life...  Praying for you, Jeff.

• Upvote 1

My heart also goes out to Dominic as well, I have, a long time ago felt the pain and hurt associated with letting my parents down. the people who supported me the most and was my biggest fans. I felt ashamed and stupid for doing something so silly. I felt hopeless and wondered how I could make it up to them? Truth is you already have their forgiveness. You made a mistake..It's human.

They will always be proud of you, so pick yourself up dust yourself off and go forward. This will pass and you have big things in front of you.

• Upvote 1

Just sad timing, Firecrackers and tobacco in the last week of your senior season. Sad that STX doesn't take in the fact that the Lampe family had represent STX in a positive way for many years and that for a religious school tobacco isn't a sin and a first offence can be re looked at. I understand the concept of rules being right/wrong view and everyone should be held to the same standard. but jugs and other punishment could have been used instead for a first offence

Just sad timing, Firecrackers and tobacco in the last week of your senior season. Sad that STX doesn't take in the fact that the Lampe family had represent STX in a positive way for many years and that for a religious school tobacco isn't a sin and a first offence can be re looked at. I understand the concept of rules being right/wrong view and everyone should be held to the same standard. but jugs and other punishment could have been used instead for a first offence

100% agree with everything you said.

Great minds think alike.

My wife was near tears when I got home today. She hasn't been able to get it off her mind. I would hate to think if it were our child.

Kids do stupid stuff. That includes Mr. Lampe's. Seriously, does anyone think there would have been reason to look in lockers or backpacks if they weren't setting off firecrackers in a locker room? That is stupid. It is unfortunate but, in the grand plan, it won't mean a hill of beans.

This can be an amazing opportunity for St X wrestling. They have numbers and will use the next-man-up mentality. Did we not learn anything from the college football season? I mean they won it with a 3rd string quarterback.

As far as an asterisk at 170, there are plenty of times the #1 man didn't get to wrestle at state. I believe the moderator on here can back me up on that one.

So I just saw a news article on courier journal website about this situation(maybe in tomorrows paper?) and it seems like this is getting bigger and bigger. Now there are firecrackers involved.and I find it odd that no one has mentioned that st.x suspended two starters. Both are sitting out of state. At least people can say st.x was fair with both wrestlers..well punished equally

• Upvote 1

The guy had a can of dip... 60% of high schoolers carry that everyday it is not a big offense and if it was serious it wouldn't be legal... At alot of schools if you get caught you just get detention... Now yes he is an athlete and I do believe he has earned the right through work other "averageJoes" have not put in and helped his school win a state championship in 13'? He is not a college or pro athlete getting away with wife abuse or drug chargers like the nfl cause their athletes.. This is a high school kid with dip... I think the school could overlook it and find an alternative yes

60%!!?? Your worldview is a bit different than mine. Rules are rules. He broke them. Punishment is very harsh. It's just high school wrestling though. I've seen others punished worse for less. He'll recover and go on and do great things in life.

• Upvote 1

So I just saw a news article on courier journal website about this situation(maybe in tomorrows paper?) and it seems like this is getting bigger and bigger. Now there are firecrackers involved.and I find it odd that no one has mentioned that st.x suspended two starters. Both are sitting out of state. At least people can say st.x was fair with both wrestlers..well punished equally

Please stop trying to make a mountain out of a molehill here. Firecrackers, dip, who cares? Not like the kids are smuggling in drugs or anything. They're just kids and made a mistake. They're paying for what they did. Seems best to me if we just let it die out instead of perpetuating the "oooh seems like there's more to the story here" nonsense.

I agree completely about letting this die out. But as far as making a mountain out of a mole hill. Well being a st. X alum, I take offense to people thinking this punishment wasn't fair. Is it a bad situation? Yes it is. I believe ky state laws says you must be 18 to buy tobacco. So any parent that would post on here that it's not a big deal really bothers me and then in the same sentence say the punishment was to harsh, blows me away. How many young men are reading our post? I choose to make sure they don't think its ok.dipping kills. Go tigers

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Kids do stupid stuff. That includes Mr. Lampe's. Seriously, does anyone think there would have been reason to look in lockers or backpacks if they weren't setting off firecrackers in a locker room? That is stupid. It is unfortunate but, in the grand plan, it won't mean a hill of beans.

This can be an amazing opportunity for St X wrestling. They have numbers and will use the next-man-up mentality. Did we not learn anything from the college football season? I mean they won it with a 3rd string quarterback.

As far as an asterisk at 170, there are plenty of times the #1 man didn't get to wrestle at state. I believe the moderator on here can back me up on that one.

I'm just thankful that I wasn't as noteworthy as this young man and the mistakes I made in high school weren't discussed online! I'm sure Coach Eslinger knows the family well and sees this for what it is...a speed bump in the life of the young man.

• Upvote 1

i have held my sons to much higher standards than st.x and for the guy who thinks dip kills I will say sin kills and who on here wants to stand before their judgement with all of their sins laid out before them and have their just judge say RULES ARE RULES SO TO HELL WITH YOU.I do not think any of us want that. St. x is a Catholic school with 2000 yrs of rules to live by and the authority they have is given to them by God to be used for his honor and glory .They did not compare the good Dominic has done to the bad because if they had this would not be a story.I am in full support that what Dominic did was wrong but it was a venial sin with a mortal punishment.If details are important it was one very small firecracker that the boys did not think would be that loud and he dipped twice with his brother who was home for Christmas break and forgot it was in his bag has not done it since.You defend an absolute policy of intolerance that none of us would want God to use at our judgement.St. x could try using the wisdom the church that is what made them a great school and they have left that wisdom behind to be wise like the world.I do not support their teaching in matters of the faith or many other issues but compared to our school choices these days none are any better as parent I teach our faith and morals at home, dip and firecrackers have not made the list of things that send us to hell.  I will never post on here again but these supporters of something they know very little about brought it out of me.you ever want to talk Catholic moral theology give me a call it is my true love Jeff Lampe 337-4271

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Jeff, you and your family have always represented yourselves as people of faith and I know you are a true man of God. 

I agree with you wholeheartedly on the issue about the punishment. I may be on the naive side, but like I said earlier, Dom and the Lampe family have done so much good for the team and the sport of wrestling in Kentucky, a transgression like this is minor in my opinion. Like you said they (the news) did not compare the good Dominic has done to the bad because if they had this would not be a story. 

Like one poster said, I am so thankful that I was never of consequence to have my transgressions talked about on the internet or splashed all over the news. I would have never made it through high school sports if that was the case. 

I have coached in the public school system for several years (not bashing public schools, because I loved those kids and they were great), and this transgression would have been minor and we as coaches would have handled, but with much less severity. 

I know Dom is devastated by this, and all we can do is pray for you guys and hope the lesson helps him and others. I know with your guidance, he will come out on top. If there is anything we can ever do for you guys, let us know.     

Kinda reminds me of the pharisees. So caught up with the rules they forgot forgiveness, mercy, love ect. Jesus "go and sin no more". Rules in place to keep order but should be handled with the kids best interest at heart not for the sake of rules. Don't disagree there should be punishment but they don't need to "crucify" the kid. When I thought of St X. The Lampe Boys were who I thought of. They've always represented themselves very very yes sir no sir. Always walked away extremely impressed each and every encounter. They represented StX very well. Now give the darn kid a punishment that fits and let him finish the stellar hs career he started.

I agree the punishment is overly harsh and definitely dont understand why or how it made the paper I never wrestled and am pretty new to the sport my first state tournament was when the im assuming oldest lampe won state his sr yr sorry cant remember his name I could understand if it was alcohol or drugs or if he was even caught dipping but just for having a can is a bit harsh as I said I have no relationship to the school family or anyone involved in the sport just a fan and enjoyed watching this young man wrestle I believe the punishment should be up to the coach some extra running or something dont deprive the athlete his last chance of his hs career to go out on top

From looking at the Region 4 brackets, it appears Dominic Lampe isn't the only wrestler who won't be participating in regionals for St. X 

As a former sports editor, here is why this is a story:

1. To explain why a returning state champion is not wresting in regionals (and from probably the most well-known wrestling family in Louisville)

2. St. X was a slight favorite to win the region against rival Trinity and that advantage seems lost

3. It's a story of a school sticking to it's rules even though they may not seem like they fit the "crime"

4. Why wouldn't wrestling be newsworthy?

From looking at the Region 4 brackets, it appears Dominic Lampe isn't the only wrestler who won't be participating in regionals for St. X 

As a former sports editor, here is why this is a story:

1. To explain why a returning state champion is not wresting in regionals (and from probably the most well-known wrestling family in Louisville)

2. St. X was a slight favorite to win the region against rival Trinity and that advantage seems lost

3. It's a story of a school sticking to it's rules even though they may not seem like they fit the "crime"

4. Why wouldn't wrestling be newsworthy?

Point 2 - Trinity lost the favorite at 220 and a big point scorer at 138 to injury. Does that make X the favorite again?

Point 3&4 - The story IMHO is about school policy and less about wrestling. Today's C-J also featured Mikey Smith from Moore. That story was about wrestling.

Sign in to follow this