Sign in to follow this  
coffeesgood

dominic lampe

Would it have an asterisk if he wasn't able to compete b/c of injury?  If so, then I would think there'd be asterisks all over the place, all through the season.

Yes, it's a shame this is the way he ends a great HS career, but the rules are clearly stated & if you choose to violate the rules then you also choose to accept the consequences if/when you get caught.  That's a lesson we all learn sooner or later...just ask anyone who's ever gotten a speeding ticket.

Hold on....you're taking this one quote out of context. If you read all my posts, I have no issue with the punishment, and agree with the decision. Certainly any fan of the sport wants to see him wrestle. And yes, for whatever reason he's not there, people will ask the question "what if..." But we will still crown a champ, and whoever wins will still get the recognition and glory of being a state champ. But people will naturally say and wonder if the outcome would have been different if he had been there. That's was my only point.

Dominic has accepted his punishment and no one ever asked for any special treatment.Dominic will be fine I only posted because I thought the rumors would be worse than the truth.When ever any of you or your children are faced with something similar I hope you find more mercy than Dominic did.

And i certainly agree. I hope to never find one of my kids in this situation, but if they do, I'd do everything I could to help them out. But ultimately, a rule is a rule and you have to accept the punishment. I'm sure he will do well and in the future and move on beyond this. It's all part of growing up. No one is immune from making a bad decision. It's how we move on afterwards and what we learn from it that's important.

Dom is a great young man. And it does not Suprise me he has accepted his ( overboard to most high school parents ) punishment. And I know he has learned a life lesson. But I bet he would be the first one too tell everyone he broke a rule. Because he is a great young man with a great college career ahead of him, and one day way in the future he will be a great father and husband because of how he was raised and the lessons he will learn along the way. But yes this sucks for every 170 and it sucks for team st.x.... GO TIGERS

Mr. Lampe,

I can't begin to imagine the devastation and regret that Dominic must be feeling. I know as a parent we want to fix these things so desperately and make them better for our children when they hurt. We all know kids are kids and they make mistakes! I admire your honesty and apologize for the rantings and quotes of the two rule book nazis! Their douchebaggery is unnecessary and unappreciated! Good Luck in TN!

Mr. Lampe,

I can't begin to imagine the devastation and regret that Dominic must be feeling. I know as a parent we want to fix these things so desperately and make them better for our children when they hurt. We all know kids are kids and they make mistakes! I admire your honesty and apologize for the rantings and quotes of the two rule book nazis! Their douchebaggery is unnecessary and unappreciated! Good Luck in TN!

Quoting the rule book doesn't mean I agree with it...I only quoted b/c of questions being raised about severity and timing.

And BTW, just b/c someone may agree with the enforcement of rules (that others know about in advance & agree to abide by) doesn't make them a nazi.  Nazis force rules on others who have no say in the matter.

Mr. Lampe,

I think it's harsh too. Never said I liked the punishment. I said I want to see him wrestle. And most importantly, I've never heard or seen anything that would make me think he's not a great kid. But i guess, if I understand you correctly, that if I believe athletes should not be treated differently than the rest of the student body, (as it seems many are implying) that makes me a douchebag and a Nazi. Thanks for the insight.

Ok i am going to respond to this post because i believe i know more on this topic than anyone can imagine.I want start off by saying Dominic is and always will be one of my favorite kids from st.x or any other school for that matter.I want to put into prospective how st.x deals with this,you notice i said st.x and not the wrestling team.When we were deciding what school to sent AJ to for high school the single most important thing we were looking at was discipline first(we felt he needed that the most)then academics.The coach we talked to never once mentioned wrestling.In Ajs first year before his first match he had an incident and i have never shyed away from the truth so i will tell exactly what happened so you can maybe understand how st.x works.While i was at work,Aj had some friends over at MY house(his mom was home)and one of the older boys brought over some beer and yes aj drank one.Someone from a rival school told their AD,that AD called ST.x and told their AD what they had heard.The coaches called Aj in and asked him did he do it,he replied YES.Even though it had nothing to do with school or a school function the coaches said they were bound by the school handbook to impose punishment.Had he denied it ,i was told it would all be considered hearsay.So when the coaches called me in they said AJ would miss the first 3 tournaments and be required to mop the mats for a month.Now i sent him there for discipline so how was i to argue ? My only point that i stressed was,I love rules for the kids but if it's not inforced the same on all kids their not worth having,and believe me i had my doubts on if that would always happen.So that was offense number one.The following year while in class a kid pulled out an e-sig,by everything i had been told at the time e-sigs were supposed to be ok,but i didn't know much about them.Well,aj desides to take a puff off it and guess what the teacher sees him.So i get a call from the coach telling me this offense number 2,even though there was nothing in the handbook against an e-sig.AJ was furious and said if he had to do the punishment he was transferring,so i went and talked to the coach.At first i was adiment that the punishment was to tough,now he has to sit out 6 tournament's,thats over half the season.Well one little thing aj forgot to mention was that he had been told repeatedly that even though e-sigs were not in the handbook they will be handled the same as tobacco,so i went home told aj he had to suck it up and do the punishment,thats why we went there.We only left for financial reasons.So i agree with everything rjs4470 is saying,do i think the punishments are harsh ? ABSOLUTELY but you can't bend them for anyone or you mind as well not have them.It sends the wrong message and maybe if the NFL players had been tought earlier in life that they are not above everyone else some of them wouldn't have turned out like they have.Dominic is a great kid that has just learned a very hurtful but valuable lesson,I wish nothing but the best for him.

I am so sorry to here this.  I know at our public school the first offense is a tobacco class. I hope that wrestlers across our state can learn something from this.  I know I called my son and read Mr. Lampe post with the hope that he realizes what is at stake if he makes a mistake. I just wished St X would have the same policy. The state tourney will not be the same without him.  I know I will try to now plan a trip to Chattanooga to watch him next year.  This punishment seems to not fit the crime.  Lets all try to remember that all kids make mistake and none of us should judge them because of it.  Thanks Mr. Lampe for sharing this private matter I know that it put things into perspective for my son and I.

Caught with a can of dip = 2 or 3 day suspension. Sounds like he was suspended for definitely Friday which means he can't wrestle regionals, which means he can't wrestle state. The punishment does fit the crime; it is just OTHERWORLDLY unfortunate timing.

Silver lining here though is that state is such a minute part of wrestling for a kid as talented as Dominic.

Luckily Dominic is already headed to Chattanooga.

What if Chattanooga wasn't in the picture and he needed a State Title win to help secure a scholarship to another university?

This isn't the Ten Commandments we're talking about here.

This is a flawed man-made rule that could easily be adjusted or changed at any time.

So St. X was willing to take a risk on ruining his college career over a petty rule. That's not justified.

Being a school based on Christian beliefs it would be nice to see St. X operate with their Christians beliefs in hand and show some mercy to Dominic and not operate like a fortune 500 company! Next to my own Son Dominic & Justin Lampe are my favorite kids we've been around thru our years in wrestling. And I'll tell you what, this straight pisses me off.

I don't care what's in their handbook. Times change and so do people.

Dominic Lampe does not deserve what he's worked over 10 years for because of what he did. I'll always miss & love the St. X wrestling program and their coaches, but as far as the rest of the school goes, I'm glad we made the move to where we are.

Mr. Lampe/Dominic    Classy parent = Classy kids.   I applaud your disclosure of the situation really bad timing I agree.  And I also agree that he will go on to better things.  I know some of the reasons you sent your boys to St X was for the academics, and disciplined learning environment.  Others can say private schools have advantages and this is an example of the advantage they have--  Discipline consistent and parents that see the bigger picture and are adult enough to help their child through this.  He has always been nothing but polite and humble even after crushing his opponent. Talked to him at Duals good kid,  good luck UC.

:mellow:.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Mr Francone I type slowly and your post was not here when I started.  My comment is no reflection about you or your post.  I too feel sorry for Dominic but was trying to be supportive of coffesgood.  Sorry if you took this negative but after all the bashings I have received in the PAST I just want to make sure this site gets back to its former level of decorum. 

Mr Francone I type slowly and your post was not here when I started. My comment is no reflection about you or your post. I too feel sorry for Dominic but was trying to be supportive of coffesgood. Sorry if you took this negative but after all the bashings I have received in the PAST I just want to make sure this site gets back to its former level of decorum.

No offense taken at all.

We spent 5 years with Dominic on the same team. So, I'm sure I'm feeling a little more emotional about the situation than most.

Tyler spent his freshman year at St. X, so I'm sure my outlook on this specific situation might be a little different than most too.

My wife doesn't know the Lampes personally but she is upset about it because it's his last year in high school. She was telling me about Dominic and reminded me how upset she was when our son was hurt and couldn't play football his freshman year and this was so much bigger because it was Dominic's last State tournament. So she may blast people who she thinks aren't here to offer support.

My wife doesn't know the Lampes personally but she is upset about it because it's his last year in high school. She was telling me about Dominic and reminded me how upset she was when our son was hurt and couldn't play football his freshman year and this was so much bigger because it was Dominic's last State tournament. So she may blast people who she thinks aren't here to offer support.

I'm on your wife's side on this one!

Mike i hope you don't think i am disagreeing because i am not,but you would have to change the rules in the handbook at the start of the year if not every kid that was ever punished for the same offense would have been wrongly punished.When you see people smoking e-sigs everywhere as a thing that is supposed to be a helpful tool to keep from tobacco,it makes you wonder how a punishment could be so harsh,that is what ST.X.is all about.like i said their punishments can be too harsh and i hope that an e-sig is the worst thing my kids ever do.but i will say since the e-sig thing i have heard many bad stories about them.

Mike i hope you don't think i am disagreeing because i am not,but you would have to change the rules in the handbook at the start of the year if not every kid that was ever punished for the same offense would have been wrongly punished.When you see people smoking e-sigs everywhere as a thing that is supposed to be a helpful tool to keep from tobacco,it makes you wonder how a punishment could be so harsh,that is what ST.X.is all about.like i said their punishments can be too harsh and i hope that an e-sig is the worst thing my kids ever do.but i will say since the e-sig thing i have heard many bad stories about them.

No I don't think that at all Andy.

It's just my opinion is a little different about how St. X handles things because I've dealt with St. X on their rules before (non disciplinary reason) and they were sticklers then too.

I'm just one of those rare people that believes in 2nd chances as long as someone wasn't hurt no matter what the rules are.

Like I said before, I look at X different in these situations because, it's not Christ-like to not forgive and give another chance and that what's their supposed to represent is Christ first and foremost.

You have to admire a school that puts the rules out there and then abides by them - St. X puts a lot of very fine young men out in the world. My thoughts go to Coach K - he's a tremendous role model and I'm sure this is killing him. Good luck to the Lampe family - they have always been a class act and Jeff's posts reinforce that.

• Upvote 1

This is quite a blow to the ST. X team I know! This can be a crushing moment to a young man knowing that he most likely held another championship in his hand. I am sure Dominic will bounce back from this issue very quickly.He knows he has brighter days ahead at UTC. Most wrestlers are resilient because that is what the sport has taught them. Dominic is a young man now and I am positive he is aware there are repercussions for our actions no matter how big or small the offense made. I am not saying I agree with the suspension by any means! It is just life has taught me that we should always do the right thing even when no one is looking, if that is part of the guidelines provided to you. I admire the administration and the coach for holding fast on this issue regardless of the situation or individual at hand. Best wishes on a brighter future Dominic and we will miss watching you finish off a great high school career in wrestling.

You have to admire a school that puts the rules out there and then abides by them - St. X puts a lot of very fine young men out in the world. My thoughts go to Coach K - he's a tremendous role model and I'm sure this is killing him. Good luck to the Lampe family - they have always been a class act and Jeff's posts reinforce that.

Yes a great school,great coach,great family...tough love sucks but the end results almost always shine brighter. We live in a world of rules and standards. st.x true to there's will not bend or overlook them.

• Upvote 1

Tough spot to be in for sure. I always try to look for some kind of silver lining. Maybe Dominic's pain and sacrifice will benifit  someone else. If some other kid sees the cost he paid, maybe it will help them to do the right thing in whatever situation or temptation he is facing.

Sign in to follow this