Sign in to follow this  
grappler-of-old

This years suprises

What in your opinion is this years suprises.

It could be at the state tourney, the regionals.

a certain team or individual.   

This is your chance to give props to some people on your team or elsewhere.

I'll say one of the suprises for me was how tight the team scores were.  I personally thought that Union would run away with it and Campbell would run away with second. 

P.S.  I want this to be a positive thread no negative remarks here please.

Props to Clayton Hanson...beat AJ Binder (early in the season), Joey Scaggs, Jason Hall and finished 5th (never being ranked above 9th).

Mason Smith..this kid will be a name to watch for the next 4 years! 

106-  tucker hurst although ranked high all yr had never even placed before and was a backup to a 7th grader last yr (trevor lawson), one year later state champ with only one loss in the state all year to a guy he then beat twice, lots of good kids coming back at this weight so expect 113 and 120 to be stacked next yr.  If I remmebr right Hernandez was only senior in this bracket

113- stacked weight and a freshman came out on top and it wasn't even a close finals match.  Sheffer is the real deal and I was impressed with him last season but didn't see that coming.

120- nothing here, a stud and one of kY's alltime greats dominated

126-David freaking Carr.  Still pretty shocked by his progression all season and win over Blackwell.  So fast, so technical.  Still a little sloppy at times but man the potential there is HIGH

132--Pretty awesome Lannum made the finals. that kid has worked hard and trained at a program that just doesn't have the numbers to be successful anymore.  Watching Daniel run off the mat after Semis and hug his dad (coach of Anderson) was one of my favorite scenes of the weekend, thats what this sport is about and why we all love it.  Brock was Brock and the state may never see a lower weight that dominant for a long time.

138--Vasquez turned it up at the right time and made a nice run to the finals.  Fausz is a stud and he did what studs do.  I thought Tuduri from Henry Clay would advance further but he had a tough draw.

145--Knew Mike would win it all season.  Whalen worked too hard to not reach his ultimate goal.  Biggest surprise here??  Andreoni not making it past weigh-ins.  That quarters match with Whalen was gonna be a battle.  Oh well, young kid, he'll be back.

152-Another lafayette kid turned it up when he had to (more on them in a minute).  Lampe was still a boss and pinned in the first period like bosses do.

160--Finals match happened in the semis with Rusch giving Lampe all he could handle in OT.  great match. two great kids who are fun to watch

170--Other than 106 this was the best finals match of year. Seein a soph make a run like Meiman did at an upper weight is rare.

182-- I think this was the most stacked weight.  Courtney wrestled damn near perfect he just couldn't work a shot against Frankrone (who could?>?) and it cost him. That was the finals match pretty much.  Hate to see Wyatt lose like that at the end being tossed when OT was seconds away but Frankrone set it up perfect.  That kid is just jacked, guessin he drinks diesel fuel before matches. 

195-- Kind of boring weight (no offense) I don't see a single match that went OT in the winners bracket and only a couple decided by 2 points.  Parrot with the undefeated season was a bit surprising but he looked the part all weeeknd.

220-ATM owned this bracket. It was his to do with as he pleased.  Re-draw it a hundred times and no one scores on him.  That sounds crazy just to type.

HWT--Landon gettin beat was not a HUGE surprise but getting stuck in 22 seconds?? NO way anyone saw that coming not even the dixie heights kid.  but if you're gonna pin a giant you better do it quick.  Young will be back and hungry now.  go ahead and put him and Johnson at #1 and #2 for next yr (unless ATM has something to say about that)

TEAMS-  Union impressed for sure.  They just keep churning out champions and had some more young ones this year who we'll all be familiar with from now on.  They are approaching Woodford status and I don't expect them to slip much.  Great program.

Campbell had a nice run at state and got what most folks thought they would with 2nd place.

Trinity, stx and woodford were all close and if WC had Max Andreoni they likely would've taken 3rd.  Great showing for a team that lost two state finalits off last years team. Carr, Wyatt and Hurst really stepped up for the team. Boston did what he was expected to do in a weight where no one challenged him.  Of these 3 teams I feel like Trinity is most poised for a rise next season.

Two of the bigger surprises for me in the team standings is Lafayette and Henry Clay.  I guess I noticed it about a month before state but these teams were solid top to bottom and represented the Lexington schools well, something that just hasn't happened in a long time. Lafayette is young, really well coached and disciplined. Coach Green is a lot like Carr in his instruction and style and its showing in his young wrestlers. Critchfield at Henry Clay took over a program in pretty good shape 10 yrs ago and has made them even better. Losing whalen is a huge loss bc that kid was so much more than just a roster spot. he was a leader by example and someone who made everyone else train harder and want to be better. 

I thought Oldham and Ryle would be higher but now that I see who finished above them I'm not sure what their ceiling was.

Dixie Heights surpised me but that's probably just bc I wasn't all that familiar with any of their wrestlers. They;re tough. hard nosed kids who don't let up.

Just to speak up for Region 1. Fort Campbell finishing 13th in the state was stunning to me considering the struggles they face all year including losing two potential state placers from their lineup, and Brian Hedrick knocking Jackson Oxford out of the tournament was very surprising to us. Agnew not placing is upsetting, reminds me of what happened to his brother Gavin a couple years back. The crazy part about Union is they aren't even out of Ervins even with Saul, there are more still waiting in the wings to my knowledge. Couple that with the Oxfords, Escelara, and the Browns (who are going to be something else in a couple years) and Union is scary.

Duck, I know you didn't mean any disrespect but "120 nothing here"?!  I never get on here and talk about my own kid but going from hardly wrestling the year before to making it to the finals in one year merits a mention for Logan Erdman. Wasn't a surprise by me, but for some it might have been.

Also, 113...I have to mention Mason Smith.  Came a hair away from beating Sheffer.  There's a in quarters I believe...a name you'll be hearing for a long while. 

Duck, I know you didn't mean any disrespect but "120 nothing here"?!  I never get on here and talk about my own kid but going from hardly wrestling the year before to making it to the finals in one year merits a mention for Logan Erdman. Wasn't a surprise by me, but for some it might have been.

Also, 113...I have to mention Mason Smith.  Came a hair away from beating Sheffer.  There's a in quarters I believe...a name you'll be hearing for a long while. 

Come on Pin quit being bashful! After having watched Logan and Mason this is no surprise at all! 

Duck, I know you didn't mean any disrespect but "120 nothing here"?! I never get on here and talk about my own kid but going from hardly wrestling the year before to making it to the finals in one year merits a mention for Logan Erdman. Wasn't a surprise by me, but for some it might have been.

Also, 113...I have to mention Mason Smith. Came a hair away from beating Sheffer. There's a in quarters I believe...a name you'll be hearing for a long while.

I would say it wasn't a hair away. Maybe a full head of hair. Lol. It was a competitive match up to the ref slapping the mat and bryce pinning mason. Bryce is a great kid. I was glad to see him win it. The only time I root against him is when he wrestles mason.

I meant no real surprises.  After the bracket came out I had penciled Logan into the finals. knew his match with poynter would be close (that was a great OT win) but your son was the 2nd best kid at this weight all year in my opinion, thus, no surprises here.  btw I was looking at records....is your kid the only kid in KY to get 60 wins this year?  anyone know of someone else who broke 60? that's a ridiculous amount of wins during a winter where we had so much snow and cancelled tournaments.

Duck, I know you didn't mean any disrespect but "120 nothing here"?! I never get on here and talk about my own kid but going from hardly wrestling the year before to making it to the finals in one year merits a mention for Logan Erdman. Wasn't a surprise by me, but for some it might have been.

Also, 113...I have to mention Mason Smith. Came a hair away from beating Sheffer. There's a in quarters I believe...a name you'll be hearing for a long while.

No surprise to me. Logan and Mason will be state champs in my opinion. Both great kids.

Thanks for the kind words...I dont know where they got 60. He had 57 wins this year which i believe was the most in our state. Very proud of that considering we wrestle an extremely tough schedule.

For me the biggest surprise was Branden Johnson. I knew he was good, but I saw him lose to Gabe Platt early in the year and never expected him to be a state champ.

Also saw that match. Johnson tried to thread a tilt and got caught with hips on ground. He only lost to two kids from KY all year. Platt and L.Young in regular season.

There is simply no doubt about this one. David Carr beating Blackwell who is an ironmam placer and competing with the nation's top kids and going to Oklahoma next yr. It blew my mind to see how well David over came his lack of muscle maturity he down in his loss at the rumble

something I believe everyone should recognize is that the very last match of the state tournament, dixie coach was ending 57yr career in his final match we will ever coach he not only went out a win but also coached dixie to their first state champ was there any who deserved the last match like him. No way. He deff went out with a bang . You have done so much for this sport over the past 50+ years. I wish the best of wishe in anything you choose.

• Upvote 2

something I believe everyone should recognize is that the very last match of the state tournament, dixie coach was ending 57yr career in his final match we will ever coach he not only went out a win but also coached dixie to their first state champ was there any who deserved the last match like him. No way. He deff went out with a bang . You have done so much for this sport over the past 50+ years. I wish the best of wishe in anything you choose.

I think the world of Coach Simmons. Since I'm out in CC now I'm sure I'll see him at Bob Evans which he told me was "his spot"

Sign in to follow this