Sign in to follow this  
eville dad

State Venue

GOO...

There should be a number of venues that meet that criteria, but who has the actual authority to get the ball rolling?

My quess would be start with your coach, then the coaches association, then the Athletic directors of your schools. 

I believe the only way to get this done would be an outcry from parents and fans that is heard by the local schools and athletic directors, who is turn would then pressure the KHSAA. 

If that does not work then it would have to be a direct push of the public on KHSAA.  Through daily e-mails and phone calls.  Get some local media involved and maybe local politicians.

Being that we are not a major sport in KY (meaning basketball or football), this may be the only way to turn the head of KHSAA. 

It's not the ideal way to go about things but it would be a last resort.  Those of KHSAA need to pay attention.  Those of KHSAA who monitor this site (I know someone from KHSAA is looking at this) need to know this is something that needs to be looked at and brought to attention. 

The horsepark ,definitely for those with breathing,allergy or asthma problems, plays  a very unfair disadvantage for those athletes. You would think  the KHSAA would have more concern for the health and the fairness of competition. Its hard enough to place at State when you feel good.  If we don't get to leave the Horsepark, I think a class action law suit could be filed for continuous neglect of an  problem resulting in an unfair playing conditions.   

• Upvote 1

16 man bracket. Back to another qualifier. District region state or region semi state, state. Different venue.

Or at all tech. Run 7 mats. 6 mats on side and 1 middle., not near podium so folks don't need binoculars.

problem with Louisville is the weekend that State is held conflicts with the biggest convention of the year, the Farm Machinery Show and the hotels fill that weekend and the only sensible venue (Broadbent Arena) is most likely booked or traffic around Freedom Hall is to thick. Bellermine probably has BB every other year and I know no body wants to go back to a HS gym again.

problem with Louisville is the weekend that State is held conflicts with the biggest convention of the year, the Farm Machinery Show and the hotels fill that weekend and the only sensible venue (Broadbent Arena) is most likely booked or traffic around Freedom Hall is to thick. Bellermine probably has BB every other year and I know no body wants to go back to a HS gym again.

Northern Ky then.

Go back to the Dungeon at Frankfort!  It might take three days to do the tournament, but the boys get more time between matches to rest up and bring back all the food vendors.  The schools still get paid for the kids attendance and the KHSAA shouldn't be out any overtime because the tournament is part of their salary and job description.  The kids all want it back in Frankfort too.  At least there you can see all the mats from anywhere in the arena,   You don't have the allergy problems either.  My son has asthma and he had use his inhaler all weekend long while wrestling and then watching.      

Go back to the Dungeon at Frankfort!  It might take three days to do the tournament, but the boys get more time between matches to rest up and bring back all the food vendors.  The schools still get paid for the kids attendance and the KHSAA shouldn't be out any overtime because the tournament is part of their salary and job description.  The kids all want it back in Frankfort too.  At least there you can see all the mats from anywhere in the arena,   You don't have the allergy problems either.  My son has asthma and he had use his inhaler all weekend long while wrestling and then watching.      

You are aware that you can only get 3 mats down on the floor now in Frankfort?  They have remodeled the Civic Center. 

Farm show was a week prior to state, so that shouldn't be a problem.

That was an oddity this year with the extra week in the wrestling schedule, as far as I can tell next season they are on the same weekend. 

Reading these posts, it seems there are some health issues at Alltech Arena for those dealing with allergies.  As mentioned before, wrestling at state is difficult enough without having to deal with breathing issues.  It is time for the KHSAA to find a venue that does not prohibit athletes from participating due to health concerns.  Also, we have talked about building the popularity of our sport, but that seems difficult if visiting fans leave with a headache or breathing issues due to the facility.  Earlier I thought that staying at Alltech and making some logistical changes might be the answer, but if a young man is kept from competing, or competing at his best, due to the arena...it seems the KHSAA should look for an alternative. I realize these problems may not affect a large number of spectators or participants, but if one athlete, who has spent years preparing for his shot at a title, is effected, a change needs to be made.

To be honest one of the best things that could happen n wrestling but will never happen is move the season 2 weeks later, not only could you get a better venue but probably more football players might come out. I know @ Western in Louisville kids from FB don't get to come out until after Thanksgiving. It really hurts beginners from small programs because your wrestling matches their first week in the sport. I wonder how many kids are lost because of the long football playoffs

To be honest one of the best things that could happen n wrestling but will never happen is move the season 2 weeks later, not only could you get a better venue but probably more football players might come out. I know @ Western in Louisville kids from FB don't get to come out until after Thanksgiving. It really hurts beginners from small programs because your wrestling matches their first week in the sport. I wonder how many kids are lost because of the long football playoffs

We start three weeks before Ohio and end only a week earlier. Why is that?

Big red hit the nail on the head. We lose a lot of potential wrestlers because we're starting so early. We began on 10/15/2013 while Ohio began 11/9/13. That's over three weeks difference. We end a week earlier but our season is still two weeks longer and those weeks are in the middle of football.

if im not mistaken Oct 15 in KY is when all winter sports can start.  Its not just wrestling basketball and swimming also start on Oct 15. 

I'm not sure if Ohio has all their winter sports start on 11/9.   Why should it be different for one winter sport.  Does basketball and swimming have the same problem?  since they start in the middle of football season?

if im not mistaken Oct 15 in KY is when all winter sports can start.  Its not just wrestling basketball and swimming also start on Oct 15. 

I'm not sure if Ohio has all their winter sports start on 11/9.   Why should it be different for one winter sport.  Does basketball and swimming have the same problem?  since they start in the middle of football season?

Oct. 15 is when winter sports teams can start practicing. Basketball season didn't start until after the first of December this year, so I'm not sure why wrestling can't do the same to accommodate all the football players who may be late joining the team.

Oct. 15 is when winter sports teams can start practicing. Basketball season didn't start until after the first of December this year, so I'm not sure why wrestling can't do the same to accommodate all the football players who may be late joining the team.

The first wrestling events are the last weekend in November, so not a huge difference. Basketball starts practicing on the 15th of October as well. And they don't have any trouble filling their teams. And the season timing doesn't seem to hurt teams like St. X, or Trinity, typically wrestling powers whose football teams regularly go deep in the playoffs. And honestly, by the third week in November, there are only 48 schools left playing football anyway. We aren't losing wrestlers because of the timing of the seasons. No other sport makes that excuse. We need to do more at youth levels, and more school districts to support wrestling at all levels. You aren't losing wrestlers that you never had in the first place.

• Upvote 1

To what advantage will this be for the football players?  If you do this then the season is just shortened for everyone.  If the football players need more time before they compete then the coach can set them out of competition a week or two after they return from football.   

Unless you start later and end later there is really no advantage, and KHSAA does not want to have the post season of both wrestling and basketball happening at the same time.

One thing Union County has done to promote wresting in the county and get the public support is to announce ther state tournament matches on the radio. I believe they have been doing this the last four years and the public is really starting to understand our sport and getting behind there team. They also put home matches and the region tournament on the radio. It's a great way to promote wresting.

With Trinity and X they have enough athletes to cover all there sports easily, Small schools or schools in the inner city with out youth wrestling programs where you have to get kids off the football team, Even the 2 weeks of regular season we overlap is meaningful. Yeah its nice to have wrestlers that know how to wrestle show up in your program that know how to wrestle but a lot of schools don't have those luxuries. The program that I been involved with won many matches and championships and most of those kids didn't start wrestling till 9th or 10th grade (Justin Davis only wrestled 2 1/2 years and won 2 state championships, won his first varsity tournament after only 10 days in the sport) But other schools don't have these advantages. But the secondary argument is that A March Tournament you could get a better venue. And there is nothing wrong with improving the quality of wrestling any/every way possible

Sign in to follow this