Sign in to follow this  
thegreatgatsby

State tournament time table

Yes but the problem with doing nothing is nothing happens

I'm not advocating not doing anything.  But not attending, does more harm to the sport overall.

No, it is not up to us, remember this was shoved down our throats by a group of people who obviously never

has had children doing the kind of things ours has. Me not being able to witness some of the finest wrestlers around and seeing history being made hurts. I do not WANT to miss the action and excitement,

but other than send e-mails, what can I DO that can make a difference? The only protest I can make that can possibly make a difference, and believe me when I say it is a sacrifice, is to keep my money away from the KHSAA.

No, it is not up to us, remember this was shoved down our throats by a group of people who obviously never

has had children doing the kind of things ours has. Me not being able to witness some of the finest wrestlers around and seeing history being made hurts. I do not WANT to miss the action and excitement,

but other than send e-mails, what can I DO that can make a difference? The only protest I can make that can possibly make a difference, and believe me when I say it is a sacrifice, is to keep my money away from the KHSAA.

It IS up to us to continue to support and help grow the sport.  Poor attendence won't change the thinking of the KHSAA at all.  Attendance goes down, and now they can justify a smaller venue, smaller tournament, even more ideas to save time and money.  You're right when you say it's about $'s.  I'm sure $'s were part of the decision to try to streamline and save time.  Travel, lodging, rental of space....I'm sure all those costs were as much part of the decision as anything else.  Again, I'm not defending their decision, or your right to be upset.  It's just that what your asking for may not exactly have the affect you desire.  If we continue to support and grow the sport (and the $'s that it can generate), our voices are much more likely to be heard.  So I do I like this decision??  Not really.  But this decision doesn't prevent our kids from wrestling, and striving to be the best.  It doesn't prevent them from having a stage, and being able to compete.  It doesn't diminish the hard work and effort that kids, parents, and coaches put in.  State qualifiers, placers, and champs will still be crowned and recognized.  But calling for people to not be there and witness is a much bigger crime than changing the format of the event.

just checked last years football schedule for the state finals. Kickoff for the last scheduled game was for 7:00 however this was for CST which means 8:00 EST. so the game would be over 10:00 or later and after interviews means that the teams and parents would be getting on the road from Bowling Green at about 11:00 p.m. EST. I guess late travel only applies to wrestling. 

just checked last years football schedule for the state finals. Kickoff for the last scheduled game was for 7:00 however this was for CST which means 8:00 EST. so the game would be over 10:00 or later and after interviews means that the teams and parents would be getting on the road from Bowling Green at about 11:00 p.m. EST. I guess late travel only applies to wrestling.

That's not really an accurate comparison. It takes a LOT more time, effort and personnel to run a wrestling tournament with close to 450 wrestlers. A playoff football game between just two teams and 100 kids is relatively easy to pull off, and it's over in two hours max. There is no comparison except swimming, cross country and track. All of which probable have multiple events going on at the same time. Those are the sports you should be using in your argument. If we are smart about this and and take a breath, an decent argument could be crafted. If enough people work together and intelligently, we will have a much better chance of convincing the KHSAA.

I understand your point, but no one has yet admitted it's about money.

The blanket statements have been that this about about safety of the kids.

Dog101 has a point, late travel is late travel regardless of the sport.

Is there anyone on here willing to form a committee of our own and just see if ideas can be pulled together as well as work with the coaches to present options?

I had a 16 minute 51 sec conversation with Mr. Barren earlier today. First question from him was he asked if I had ever been to state and I assured him I had. He also stated he had wrestled and that he too did not like change. okay. It has taken me several hours to process what he said and not get angrier. His main point was that it had nothing to do about the money but kept saying schools had complained about the late ending. I stated most teams that were over an hour away planned on staying. He kept saying that this was the best alternative. They could have stopped 224 kids from making it to state. And I politely stated that the finals match has always been a highlight and what a lot of kids have used for motivation.

He kept saying that they would review how it worked this year for next. Adding mats to day one would mess up the 45 minute rule and coaches would be complaining that wrestlers had to stay late on day one and wrestle early day two. I told him that if a kid is a senior and that they have taken a possible moment from him. He said highlighting all the placers of one wt. at one time is logical. And maybe more people should stick around to watch the whole event. I stated what does it matter you already have the gate. Ended agreeing to disagree and me saying that I was disappointed for my son and the message being given that wrestling is secondary especially to the elem. participants.

So sad and disappointed. tried honey got lemons

I may not be looking at the latest version, but the time schedule currently available to me on the KHSAA website appears to be different than the one originally posted on this thread.

http://khsaa.org/wrestling/2014/statemeettimetable.pdf

Sounds to me like 3rd, 5th, and 7th on 6 mats (two weights simultaneously). Then at the conclusion of those matches, finals on 2 mats.

I just talked to Mike Barren. The KHSAA website was hacked. That is not the correct time table. The correct time table is the one with four mats being wrestled at once. 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th at once.

What about wrestling Regionals as planned and then using the results from that to host the 1st ever KY Wrestling Coaches Association State Championships. We could leave the KHSAA standing at the horse park wondering where the heck everyone is. I feel certain that there are enough people on here with enough ties to lock down another facility to wrestle at. I know some folks at the Farnham Dudgeon Civic Center. Gotta admit, the middle school association makes the KHSAA look ridiculous!!

IWIN said: Gotta admit, the middle school association makes the KHSAA look ridiculous!!

Yes they do!! They give medals so big they  can be seen across the state. They have a finals face off and wrestle the finals matches by themselves. They even give every finalists  their own finals singlet. The finalists then have the opportunity to either wear their own team singlet or the one given to them by the Middle School Association. Mr. Barren can say all day it's about safety, phffff!!! It's about money and everyone knows it. They got theirs and now they want out. He keeps saying coaches were on the committee that made this decision. Which ones? What coach, or for that matter former wrestler would vote for something as stupid as this?

Coach McCoy, I would be willing to bet you would get an overwhelming amount of support, help, table workers, food donations, etc if you could pull this off! Lol. I will be with Coach Teater at the front of the line to help!

If "safety" is an issue why are we at alltech arena. Two years in a row someone gets sick from the dust. Thats a safety issue. The rolls of TP and beach balls are a "safety issue" then make all the kids who run around the top of the gym stop running. Thats a safety issue. If they are concerned with not.giving upper weights ie 285 the respect of having a full arena do what NCAA did this past year. Split the finals up and pick a weight class and put it last. If you put 132 last so Brock can attempt the 5 peat then do it. I am pretty sure I'm keeping my kids at the tournament to watch him make history along with everyone else.

If "safety" is an issue why are we at alltech arena. Two years in a row someone gets sick from the dust. Thats a safety issue. The rolls of TP and beach balls are a "safety issue" then make all the kids who run around the top of the gym stop running. Thats a safety issue. If they are concerned with not.giving upper weights ie 285 the respect of having a full arena do what NCAA did this past year. Split the finals up and pick a weight class and put it last. If you put 132 last so Brock can attempt the 5 peat then do it. I am pretty sure I'm keeping my kids at the tournament to watch him make history along with everyone else

AMEN!!!!!!!! I guess if someone has to be rushed to the hospital or dies from an asthma attack due to the dust and/or filth coated seats the safety will finally be acknowledged. Or if someone on blood thinner bleeds to death from a nose bleed.

And I am sorry to whoever said this: SEE HOW IT GOES!!!!!!! blahblahblah. Review for next year HA. What if there is NO next year, if it is their senior year and they are being Robbed.

Just a thought, but I would kinda like to see the kids come together and as a group, not participate in the walk of Champions. It wouldn't cost them a possible lose or penalty and it would show unity among the most important people in this whole deal, the kids

What about wrestling Regionals as planned and then using the results from that to host the 1st ever KY Wrestling Coaches Association State Championships. We could leave the KHSAA standing at the horse park wondering where the heck everyone is. I feel certain that there are enough people on here with enough ties to lock down another facility to wrestle at. I know some folks at the Farnham Dudgeon Civic Center. Gotta admit, the middle school association makes the KHSAA look ridiculous!!

What a great idea! This is better than any stinking boycott.. I'm willing to to do whatever I can to help. $, Time, or equipment. I have trucks, trailers and a tractor with a front end loader. I will contribute up to $1000.00 But, I get in free to watch the show. My # is Home(606) 798-5104 Work # (937)549-2641 (ext.) 5061 Name's bernie

Coach Teater,

Could you please post a copy of the letter the coaches sent to KHSAA?

I would like to use it in my reply to Mr. Barren.

Thanks.

Just posted this on twitter:

Why are we changing the format of Wrestling State Championships? No one wants this change except for you. You are hurting the sport, the coaches, and worst of all, the athletes. Being a state champ in 2012 an a runner up in 2011, I know I wouldn't trade the feeling of the only match going in the arena for the world. And as a heavyweight I didn't care ore stands were full as long as I had my family an my team that was all I needed. If you get rid I the one mat tradition, you will make a lot of enemies. Those who come just to watch won't come because of the change. We all know this is about money so why rick losing the spectators? I hope you listen to those who pay your salaries and take them seriously. If you don't you are disrespecting the sport, the athletes, and the state. #OneMat

It might be bold but someone has to call them out on their BS.

Just have the 1st place match participants not step on the mat like someone said until the other 3 matches completed. If both wrestlers agree to it, even if they get penalized, it happens to both wrestlers equally.

Sign in to follow this