Mathound

NHSCA Senior All-Americans

NHSCA Senior All-Americans

National High School Coaches Association

Kentucky All-Americans attending the Senior National Championship.

112: 3. Kyle Ruschell (Ryle, Kentucky)

Won state senior and junior year. State Runner-up as a sophmore.

103: 5. Chad Hayden (Franklin Co., Kentucky)

Did not win State senior year. Won 103 Junior Year.

145: 2. Joe Carr (Woodford Co., Kentucky)

Four time state champion.

119: 8. Jason Talbott (Oldham Co., Kentucky)

Won State at 119.

152: 6. Jason Walls (Kentucky)

Did not win State senior year.

135: 4. Stephen Kaiser (Simon Kenton, Kentucky)

Won State at 145 senior year.

275: 5. Frank Wolnitzek (Cov. Holmes, Kentucky)

Won State at 275 senior year.

125: 7. Tony Condi (Henry Clay, Kentucky)

Won State at 135 senior year.

152: 5. Rob Rickman (Layfayette, Kentucky)

Won State at 171 senior year.

140: 2. Mike Migliaccio (Tates Creek, Kentucky)

Won State at 152 senior year.

1980-Jerry Whelan-Eastern

1979-Mike Moriarty-Eastern

Robbie Clarkston - Year?

I congratulate those that earned the title, High School All Americans. 

However;  I'm not sure if this denotes the top wrestlers in KY. 

If I'm correct only those who wrestle in the Senior National tourney can become High School All Americans.

Not all high school kids can or do wrestle in this tourney for several reasons. 

Once again I congratulate those that are All Americans but lets not forget those that are of equal ability and chose not to wrestle in this tourney.

NHSCA tournament didn't start until 1990.  Not sure how they decided before then.  I think there were only one or two publications that made the call, Wrestling USA and AWN.  Not sure about the criteria either.

There were some AA's in USAW in FS and GR. 

I don't think I would count AAU after USAW started either. 

It would be nice if this tournament was pursued by more Ky. wrestlers.  Ky. wrestling doesn't get the credit it deserves, anyone that has wrestled in Ky. and went on to wrestle in another state would agree that people outside of Ky. think Ky. wrestling is weak.  The representation by Ky. at the NHSCA tour could be better.

http://www.wrestlingusa.com/003%20wusa%20web%20root/wusahalloffame/80hsallamerican.html

HONORABLE MENTION ALL-AMERICANS

Maurice Brown, Morganfield, Kentucky

Mark Hitchings, Louisville, Kentucky

Jerry Whelan, Louisville, Kentucky

Robert Ervin, Morganfield, Kentucky

Todd King, Fern Creek, Kentucky

Jeff Grimes, Fern Creek, Kentucky

Todd Adams, Fern Creek High School, Fern Creek, Kentucky

Troy Cole, Conner Sr. HS, Hebron, Kentucky

Bret King, Fern Creek High School, Fern Creek, Kentucky

David Richey, Caldwell HS, Princeton, Kentucky

Tom Lee, Christian Co, Hopkinsville, Kentucky

Lawrence Woodford, Ferncreek HS, Louisville, Kentucky

Kentucky has several current All Americans wrestling.

Harrison Courtney

Korey Shotwell

Josh Johnson

Dusty Brown

Myron Bradbury

I know there are a few more, I need some help.

Brian Peace was an All American as a sophomore.

Dave Barnes was the best wrestler in the state of Kentucky in 1988, hands down, no question about it.  Tom Lee & Lawrence Woodford were very good wrestlers but not in the same league as Barnes - in 1988.  To have his name missing from 1988 says a lot about the credibility of this list in my opinion.  Before people start ripping on me for saying that, remember it's not about your career, it's about your season.  Dave had the best season of anyone that year.  Some highlights that I can remember:

1) won GMVWA, beat an OH D1 runner up in the finals.  As I remember, i BELIEVE that was the only kid to score a 2 point move on Dave that whole season (got a reversal in the last minute or something like that)

2) Did not give up a takedown, reversal, or backpoints in the state of Kentucky.  Only points he gave up were escapes.

3) beat the 1st & 3rd place finisher at 140 (Moody & Means) at KOB tourney.

4) undefeated state champ at 135, won 14-1 in the finals against a kid with 1 loss on the season

5) MOW & Most pins in least amount of time at state tourney...basically hogged all the awards.

Not that any of this matters, i'm just bringing up that before 1990 when they started wrestling for it, I'd say the AA's were questionable to say the least.  Maybe a little political. 

Not that any of this matters, i'm just bringing up that before 1990 when they started wrestling for it, I'd say the AA's were questionable to say the least.  Maybe a little political. 

It was all political.  Something to learn from.  One HS coach picked them. 

i-pinned em,

It was political.  I can't think of the guy's name but he (Fern Creek) guy was the State editor/rep for KY for wrestlingUSA.  After that: Woodford took the spot light when Parks was the rep, They had a team review in one of the issues.  I think they were on a long winning streak. then Paden at Larue.  I remember Paden asked me at the state tournament who deserved recognition as the state's best.  I think this was when the Cooper's of Larue were there, Metzger at HC etc. They all received more press than anyone for that magazine. 

HS All Americans were determined by your state reps's recommendation before the NHSCA was formed.

I saw on one website where in Virginia Beach he placed 7th at 103 but there were only 14 kids in his weight class so with 1 win you are an all american.  That cant be the same Senior Nationals that this record is talking about, is it?  When I went it was up in Newark Deleware and there were approximmately 64 guys in every weight class.

I saw on one website where in Virginia Beach he placed 7th at 103 but there were only 14 kids in his weight class so with 1 win you are an all american.  That cant be the same Senior Nationals that this record is talking about, is it?  When I went it was up in Newark Deleware and there were approximmately 64 guys in every weight class.

Yeah, it's NHSCA Senior Nationals. There were only 14 wrestlers in his weight class because of the low number of 103lb. seniors

Old thread but relevant now .

Who are the Srs from Ky headed to NHSCA nationals , Paul Hamilton , Stephen Myers , from CC , 145 ,

If he makes 145 like Stephen can and certified for I would like to see it , Sr all Americans are awarded at NHSCA for top eight it has not happened yet ??? Fargo all Americans are awarded in Fargo it too has not happened yet ,

As for dream team all American or the bigger stuff I hardly think someone with a 20 something and 4 record made the dream team ??????

But there are all kinds of awards organizations and things , I'm sure French has the ability to AA at NHSCA hope he goes and represents Stephen , Paul Hamilton , and French all at 145 That class would be loaded with Ky talent , chances are only 1 walks away an AA .