Sign in to follow this  
fanofwrestling6

MOW for state ?

It's kind of crazy that some believe that the MOW is decided already .

Should it go to Stephen Myers the best senior wrestler in the state ?

Should it go to Caleb Canter whose dad is retiring and has had a super career and has had 2 years of very hard draws ? ( Last year had to wrestle Maulpin and then Jude) and this years draw of having to face the #2 ranked opponent in the 2nd round.

Is it political ?

What if a kid like Johnny Meiman wins the 170 by having to possibly beat Boykin- Parriman-then Bauer- and then Canter to win it all but he's only a freshman ? 

Should it go to one of the youngsters in the 106's who are already fantastic wrestlers and are extremely quick and fun to watch ?

What if a kid like Eli Matthews comes out and wins at 182 a kid that except in region 6 one rarely even knows his name ? 

Should it truly be decided by who has the best tournament ?

Do the coaches get a vote ? 

The award usually goes to a senior just from looking at past history but in my opinion it should go to a kid that has defied odds and won the tournament or a kid who went through the tournament and dominated and caught the attention of the crowd even though it was a kid that they did not know. It could very well be a Stephen Myers or a Kevin Cooper .. It could be Austin Myers ...It could be one of the Lampke's  but I hope it gets decided on the mats. 

I agree with what you are saying. I put this on another thread but it should be here:

This might be a stupid question, but is MOW at State for the tournament only or for the body of work for the year?

My understanding is it is for the tournament only.

One thing to look at is for the coaches or media or a combination of both to name a "Mr Kentucky" for Wrestling.

Then let the debates begin: SAM, ATM, Ervin, Cooper, Canter, Boston, Carr.....

I really think there should be two separate awards. One for MOW, just based off the results from the tournament, then one for most outstanding wrestler of the year.

They do have a Mr Wrestling award just like in basketball and football. MOW is based on the State Tournament and many many times goes to an underclassman, not just seniors.

big kids rarely win mow because by the time they wrestle most of the coaches have already turned in their ballots.

Yeah thats crazy many tournaments ive been to they are harping on you to turn your ballots in barely into the finals.Makes absolutely no sense to me

I agree. MOW should go to that kid who flat out dominated the STATE TOURNAMENT. This year is going to be interesting. You have a bunch of kids that really could peak at the right time and put on a clinic at the tournament. However I have a funny feeling that the MOW will go to one of these guys. (The order I have them listed is just a random order only) COOPER - SK FAUSZ - CC S. MYERS - CC A. MYERS - CC B. ERVIN - UC Just my 2 cents! LOL

Yeah it should go to who dominates the tournament , but it didn't last yr ,

I agree ..Austin dominated and somehow the coaches ballots are turned in a  lot of times before the 220's and 285's get to the championships and kids like ATM and Bryant deserve the same chances ! 

I don't think it should necessarily go to a person who dominated the state tournament.  Those should definiftely been considered but, for example.  What if someone had scored a massive upset, like beating John Fahy last year in the finals?  They should also be considered.  Or someone who won with a group full of studs.  The definition of outstanding can mean many things.  If you're looking for a person who dominated the tournament then they should call the award Most Valuable Wrestler.  That would directly take into effect the points a wrestler won for their team and domination in the form of tech falls or falls would obviously reflect that.

Wrestling starts Friday......Playing God is not our job.    As we have gone over in the past, the wrestler who has the best tournament should go home with that award !

Last year just exposed some flaws in the system.......John had an awesome career, yes...and is a great kid.  I think coaches used his career to come up with their votes for MOW.  Yes, that was totally political I felt and took away from the dominating performances of SAM, ATM, Brock Ervin, Kevin Cooper and even Trae Blackwell. 

This is a new year....new matchups and some of the best High School wrestling in the country.....Kentucky boys compete, all of them.   At about 11:00pm Saturday night I will have my choice after ALL of the matches are completed !!!!

Almost "Go Time"   Nothing better in this world !!!!

I am in no way a trinity fan but you have to give credit where it is due.it would have been a shame last year if a kid pulls off one big upset and gets mow over a kid that never lost to a ky wrestler from the 4th to the 12 grade. Fahy could not pull off an upset because he was the big favorite. Did the kid that pulled off the upset get a d1 scholarship ,probley not. So a kids career is what also makes him outstanding. The right wrestler got mow last year. John fahy

• Upvote 1

I'm justing saying, I feel it should be awarded to the kid that stands out above the others at this event. I used the word "dominates" because I feel this fits whoever wins the award. It might be the kid who dominates the tournament or a kid that dominates the finals. And Yes, it could go to that kid that may pick off a big name favorite. I don't think MOW should be award to a kid based on them having a stellar career. I agree that the coaches should wait till the finals are complete. I do feel that the big men get cheated out of this award because coaches turn their ballots in too soon. Austin Myers (the 34 second kid, by the way someone owes me a coke) is a kid that should be considered for this award...as long as he dominates...LOL. I wish all the kids this weekend the best of luck. A lot of these young men could get this award.

I agree ..Austin dominated and somehow the coaches ballots are turned in a lot of times before the 220's and 285's get to the championships and kids like ATM and Bryant deserve the same chances !

Not what I meant at all were you at the state tournament last yr Stephen had 4 pins the fastest pin the most pins in least time and teched your number two at 170 in the finals , he obliterated the tournament he was well ahead of ATM Fahy and a bit ahead of Kevin every round , no kid in the state lasted a match with him ALL YR , his first match he pinned the kid in ten seconds and his third match the kid was stuck in about two NO BS watch it lol

And he didnt get OW , because in KY it's a sr thing , nah it's a popularity thing , well lets talk wrestling , and a kid who is undefeated in season in folkstyle wrestling since sixth grade and brought a national title and ow award back to Ky , then shut up the buckeye haters but good ,

There that's my pitch ,:) counter that .

I think when two two timers battle it out a couple times it pretty much shuts everyone up as well ,

Stephen is a small 160 and a not so big 152 , he will be a big 145 in a few weeks it he makes it ,

Surprised no one has mentioned Carr but has mentioned Canter , ???? Has Canter won state before ??? Or beaten anyone ranked in the nation anywhere in anything ?? Fan your stretching your 170 infatuation a bit thin ,

If Stephen doesn't win , It should go to Kevin if he pulls it of and that Lampe is tough as is his brother . Austin could care less he has a nice one setting on his dresser at home from nationals if he won he would give it to his brother who helped make him who he is .

Last yr seemed to be a sentimental pick, hard to go wrong with it. MOW should be the kid who runs through the toughest bracket to win it.

Agreed!

What I love about wrestling is the absence of politics. Doesn't matter if your daddy is the coach. If you suck, everyone knows it. Doesn't matter if you're black, white, or purple things get settled on the mat.

Except for MOW awards. Regardless of who wins someone feels dissed it cheated and that shouldn't happen. Crown the champs and celebrate them all.

You said except for MoW , no doubt no one wanted a transfer winning OW last yr , no doubt had anyone else at 152 done what Stephen would have they would probably have been ow except it was awarded before hand ,

As for the other awards , fastest pin and most pins in least time , they were won on the mat and they are on Stephens bedroom wall ,

And let me know if it gets decided on performance because I bet I know someone who would like three of them in a row .

The MOW award should go to the wrestler who beats the toughest competition in the state. For example if a senior 106 pins all his opponents in the first period what has he really accomplished? Where as Cooper and Myers are probably the best wrestlers in the state and whichever one wins this match has beaten a much better wrestler than the 106 champion. The quality of the wrestlers you beat should be more important than a dominent state tournament  if you don't beat any great wrestlers.

I think we are making a little too much out of the MOW award.  There are probably two or three wrestlers deserving this award every year, but only one can win.  Does it become a popularity contest, of course it does sometimes.  But is it really that important.  As long as you can raise that state championship medal and the end of the night on Saturday is all that matters.  Bartering for your child or favorite to win a MOW is not really what it's about.  Their accomplishments speak volumes and that little award means very little.  Good luck this weekend wrestlers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

I'm just glad this is the only political part of the state tourney. My son has played baseball, football, basketball, and lacrosse....many seasons dealing with varying levels of "daddy ball". That is what makes wrestling so freaking great! By the way, unless Brock is somehow out of the tourney it's going to be his MOW, just like Fahy last year.....deservedly so. This year it should just be who stands out in their respective bracket. Every year someone comes through a grinder and looks great in the finals. I love it when it's one of those types of years.

• Upvote 1

You sound like one of the captains on the daddy ball championship team !!!

You state who you say is going to win then bring up the tournament and who will go through it the easiest , guess you were not at state last yr either

And it doesn't appear as if you have followed along very much this yr as well

The funny thing is , if Kevin would not have wrestled Stephen he would be the clear favorite being a sr a multiple x champ and having his history in the state. "which is what it was won on last yr " but since Kevin lost to Stephen now the focus will be shifted to others because Stephen is not a lifetime ky boy , it's all just talk untill the tournament is over anyway , watching last yr Brock had a somewhat close match with TJ someone Stephen has beaten 14 to 1 in HS Fahy majored someone in the finals by 8 ,that Stephen bumped up to wrestle the yr before and teched in the second :)

Two two time champs wrestle twice with Stephen winning both times ,

If you compare your choices with shared opponents or record or comp

, it's no contest Brock Austin Stephen and Kevin and Jayce and I would guess Blackwell are your heavy hitters in Ky , those would be your picks on careers , on performance , you would have to wait for the tourny but there is still favoritism

There like last yr people saying 220 was weak because they thought Austin a fresh transfer might win , now it's weak because all the srs who placed including a former state champ

Are gone , which is it it cannot be both lol, it should go to Jayce or Stephen or Kevin if they win based last yrs criteria , If not then I would suspect a certain sophmore who is very pin proficient would have a very nice shot , but of course someone could

Come up with how tough a certain class is because x y z are in it , who really haven't beaten anyone or done anything in the sport whatsoever , either way the title is what counts , I think everyone has a clue or two as to who the top few kids are and it doesn't matter ,

Still funny even with Sam crasy performance last Yr , I would have still thought a freshman dominating a sr returning champ in the finals would have probably won an OW hands down ,

I would say of Meiman beat Canter like that he would deserve it except Canter is not a state champ like Newberry was and 220 is big boy weight . Enough jockeying for OWs kids have to win first ,

And the Most valuable wrestler in the state last yr was the one who scored the most points in the tournament and changed history in the state by helping his team

Win the title :)

The MOW award should go to the wrestler who beats the toughest competition in the state. For example if a senior 106 pins all his opponents in the first period what has he really accomplished? Where as Cooper and Myers are probably the best wrestlers in the state and whichever one wins this match has beaten a much better wrestler than the 106 champion. The quality of the wrestlers you beat should be more important than a dominent state tournament  if you don't beat any great wrestlers.

Yep

You sound like one of the captains on the daddy ball championship team !!!

You state who you say is going to win then bring up the tournament and who will go through it the easiest , guess you were not at state last yr either

And it doesn't appear as if you have followed along very much this yr as well

The funny thing is , if Kevin would not have wrestled Stephen he would be the clear favorite being a sr a multiple x champ and having his history in the state. "which is what it was won on last yr " but since Kevin lost to Stephen now the focus will be shifted to others because Stephen is not a lifetime ky boy , it's all just talk untill the tournament is over anyway , watching last yr Brock had a somewhat close match with TJ someone Stephen has beaten 14 to 1 in HS Fahy majored someone in the finals by 8 ,that Stephen bumped up to wrestle the yr before and teched in the second :)

Two two time champs wrestle twice with Stephen winning both times ,

If you compare your choices with shared opponents or record or comp

, it's no contest Brock Austin Stephen and Kevin and Jayce and I would guess Blackwell are your heavy hitters in Ky , those would be your picks on careers , on performance , you would have to wait for the tourny but there is still favoritism

There like last yr people saying 220 was weak because they thought Austin a fresh transfer might win , now it's weak because all the srs who placed including a former state champ

Are gone , which is it it cannot be both lol, it should go to Jayce or Stephen or Kevin if they win based last yrs criteria , If not then I would suspect a certain sophmore who is very pin proficient would have a very nice shot , but of course someone could

Come up with how tough a certain class is because x y z are in it , who really haven't beaten anyone or done anything in the sport whatsoever , either way the title is what counts , I think everyone has a clue or two as to who the top few kids are and it doesn't matter ,

Still funny even with Sam crasy performance last Yr , I would have still thought a freshman dominating a sr returning champ in the finals would have probably won an OW hands down ,

I would say of Meiman beat Canter like that he would deserve it except Canter is not a state champ like Newberry was and 220 is big boy weight . Enough jockeying for OWs kids have to win first ,

And the Most valuable wrestler in the state last yr was the one who scored the most points in the tournament and changed history in the state by helping his team

Win the title :)

I would say your boys have a good as chance as any to win MOW, but you seem to have already made up your mind that there is some type of conspiracy that is going to prevent them from having a chance at winning.  I personnally don't believe the award should be dictacted on what you have done in previous years, but what you do in this years state tournament.  The bracket a particular kid wrestles in definitely has impact on the winner i believe.  The bottom line though is if your kids win state and don't win MOW does it really matter that much as long as they have Gold around their neck. 

• Upvote 3

Not reallly and if some good ole boy committee wants to say little Johnny from so and so is the mow when some transfer came in and clearly outdid them that's up to them I guess .

But if people dont want to play by a set of rules or go by a solid set of guidelines don't expect to be taken seriously , like someone said its daddy ball , HS style , Klind of like watching certain coaches walk on the mat approach refs do as they please while others have to follow rules , it's a joke ,

As I said I see people

Circling their wagons and making their

Pitch it really means nothing but in a way it will have a lot to do with how people and a state are perceived ,

Wrestling History                                                                     25%

Domination competition at State Tournament                           25%

Strength of Weight Class                                                         20%

Likeability / Wrestling Style                                                      20%

Attention Getting Match at State Tournament                          10%

Going in to the state tournament I would have the favorite Brock Ervin (3 time state champion & highest rank wrestler in KY), with Stephens Myers (Best Senior & dominating KY wrestling (I think moving to 160 hurt his chance due to not having the match with Cooper again), Jaycee Carr (Very Strong Weigh Class & Senior) & my sleeper Trae Blackwell (I believe the strongest weight class this year)

Put all that together and you get MOW.

I know I left off Austin Myers his time will come. 

This entire discussing about the MOW means nothing if some unbelievable upset happen and that person go onto win.  Like Brock Ervin or Stephens Myers gets upset. 

• Upvote 1