Sign in to follow this  
eville dad

Best KY Team Ever?

Someone posted on another thread about a certain team being one of if not the best team in KY Wrestling history.

I dont know enough about KY Wrestling History to argue one team or another, but it got me to thinking about what is the best team ever in KY. 

I tought the topic deserves a thread of its own.

So lets hear what was the best team in KY and why?

Hard to argue Woodford Co.'s 2006 State Championship team. 5 individual State Champs that night. Ran away with the overall team score. It was wrapped up after semis, before any of the place winning wrestle backs had been wrestled.

I did say Nky and said ask anyone in Ohio and they would say CC now because they go there and face , them , not sure in Ky ever , there has to be some pretty dominant teams , as for national level I would bet CC team is right there with or above any, 4 all Americans , on CC team

For the over all sport of wrestling in Kentucky.. I'd say this years Campbell County team. It's just what they've done to the Ohio teams and the big tournaments. The year isn't over and Woodford had a dynasty going there for a while but this years not over and they could make quite an argument for that title. Truth...I'm not a Campbell County fan ..I'm a Northern KY wrestling fan and Ohio has been saying we're so weak for years and I think Campbell has set a tone for other teams to follow.. This is just my opinion !

and yes they have a slight chance at 5 ... fausz-myers-myers-matthews and alot of placers and maybe one of those could get lucky

WC-13 time State Champs

UC- 6 time State Champs

CC- 6 time State Champs

I think we can all agree that overall that these are the 3 most successful teams in KY wrestling history. Campbell Co. has an exceptional team this year, but there can be all types of arguements as to who was the best ever. I say WC because no one else has 13 titles, and no one else has ever had 5 Champs in one night.

I guess it all depends on what your using as a measuring stick. Like I said it can be argued a multitude of ways.

• Upvote 1

How many points did Woodford Co score in 2006? This Campbell Co team has a shot at multiple champs and a few placers as well. Team score, in my opinion is a better gauge.

There was a South Oldham team that had every weight class but one qualifiy for state. They only had 2 champs, but had a score that may never be surpassed....it was just under 260. I'm wanting to say it was 2003. Campbell and Union seem incredibly strong, but I honestly don't see either brininging such across the board balance. Longevity best team has to be easily Woodford. I think they have 12 or 13 titles. Thats bringing it.

There was a South Oldham team that had every weight class but one qualifiy for state. They only had 2 champs, but had a score that may never be surpassed....it was just under 260. I'm wanting to say it was 2003. Campbell and Union seem incredibly strong, but I honestly don't see either brininging such across the board balance. Longevity best team has to be easily Woodford. I think they have 12 or 13 titles. Thats bringing it.

2003 South Oldham team.  They qualified all 14 with 13 placing top 8.

Union County team of 1980 won had 4 state champs and multiple placers when they won it all with 12 weights. Think they held the record for team points until 2003 when South Oldham won it. I would rank them up there with the top teams.

You can't really gauge by team scores because of the switch from 16 to 32 man brackets I think that 13 placers is insanity and this team probably was the best tournament team I had seen. I remember going down to highschool state for the first time this year and remembering how dominant of a team they had.

No one could argue with 13 state championships ,"they have the best record no question about it . "

Or possibly 5 champs , the question is the caliber of comp everyone has faced in the past , there are more teams and obviously better teams now ,

Taking a whole team is huge CC almost did last yr and cannot this yr they have no 126 , but will

Take a loT !!!!perhaps everyone !!!!

Some could say most points longest win streak all could be considered the best .

But looking at Union ,Sk, X , Trinity , Ryle , Woodford , Larue . Moore ; Oldham , and CC ,

Be serious NONE of those teams had to go against that level of Comp , The teams are better just look what SK did at Duals , no one expected that and it could happen at state not because comp is weak but because it is good ,

I cant speak about teams of the past in KY I dont know them all , but I have seen a lot of teams other than Moeller I haven't seen a better team in the NKY/ Cincy area than CC ever . I think they are better than last yrs team overall , four champs last yr two returning with two of six placers as well and everyone improving , Fausz is way better , Sam and PH are Sam and PH , ATM should be better , Mathews is much improved as is Woods , the lightweights are young and improved and Bachman is back in and improved as the yr progressed ,

I have never seen a ky school win any major tournament in Ohio and CC won all but their first beating the school that beat them when they were down three or four later and losing only to Graham , and X won the rumble early in the yr when CC did not have their full lineup in or at weight !!!

As for a dual team , they doubled their finals opponent score , against a team that beat X to get there !!

How I would judge the best team would be how they all stacked up in the biggest tournament and there is no team in ky that could beat CC in a huge tournament like Iron Man , Powerade , or even Rumble or Gmva with their real lineup in ,Union being the sole contender and the Woodford studs being still a little young to hang on that level.

You just said it....you don't know teams in KY from past, so you can't intelligently say CC team now is better! Maybe those kids were just heads and shoulders better than any comp that came their way. CC is best this year, but don't minimize what WC 2006 or south Oldham 2003, trinity 2010, etc did.....because you don't know.

• Upvote 1

by talking about bachman can he wrestle at 152 ? or is sam staying at 152 along with coop ? I hate asking but .....I am .. and as mentioned above I too think this is the best team to ever step on the mats of kentucky.

You just said it....you don't know teams in KY from past, so you can't intelligently say CC team now is better! Maybe those kids were just heads and shoulders better than any comp that came their way. CC is best this year, but don't minimize what WC 2006 or south Oldham 2003, trinity 2010, etc did.....because you don't know.

hope this doesn't get argued over for a week lol..... it's like a marciano vs ali thing ? we will never no.......to me it's just doing in ohio what no team has ever done in ky which is a huge breakthrough.. in nky at least

Woodford had 5 homegrown champs in 1 year? Cant argue with that. Until anyone can match or beat that I don't know that another has an argument.

Anyone know how many they placed overall that year?

Best team in 16 man bracket would be 1997 Woodford team; they scored 195 points in the tournament and had three champs that year.

Best team with the 32 man bracket would be 2003 South Oldham they 257.5 points in the tournament and had two champs that year.  You can beat all the good teams and wrestlers you want during season but when it's all said and done it is what you did at the big show and that is that.  I know this from experience. 

Woodford Co. 2006

230 Team Points at State

112 Coty Lewis 1st (3x State Finalist)

145 Harrison Courtney 1st (4x State Champ 6x placer)

171 Will Starks 1st (2x State Champ)

189 Richard Starks 1st (3x State Champ 4x finalist)

275 Kyle Goodrich 1st

103 Shane Parks 3rd (eventual State Champ)

160 Chad Fyffe 4th (2x State placer)

215 Matt Byrd 5th (eventual State Champ and 3x placer)

8 Placers, 5 State Champs, 13 individual titles between those guys listed and 13 Team titles.

I think CC is an outstanding team, I believe that they would give this team a run for their money. That being said, I still believe the 06 WC team to be a touch better. They competed and tough tournaments as well ie Greenville, Hammer and Anvil, the Dragon just to name a few.

• Upvote 1

Well , i admitt I do not know all the ky teams of the the past and Someone takes a knock with an intelligence comment , how typical ,

Well intelligently speaking. I know Fausz is a Fila AA Mathews , Austin , Stephen , Fausz are. NHSCA AA , Austin is a nhsca champ and Ow Stephen is a 3 x Fargo AA , they won state last yr , they won Duals this yr ,they won Fairfield, Gmva big school , And Hammer and Anvil and lost Rumble and Franklin by mere point down numerous wrestlers , won two OWs at rumble one at Franklin most pins at Gmva and ow at Hammer .

I can without a doubt intelligently say they have a case for being the best Ky team ever , and you intelligently cannot question my intelligence ,

If you could you would match those statistics or accomplishments but you cannot all you can do us tell of wins points scored and records of the past against weaker teams in smaller tournaments , sorry if facts hurt but facts are facts

Interesting comparison, what was the rest of the Woodford lineup  i think I remember at least a few Stephen Butler, Sheehan maybe, was Rusty Parks graduated already?

Woodford Co. 2006

230 Team Points at State

112 Coty Lewis 1st (3x State Finalist)

145 Harrison Courtney 1st (4x State Champ 6x placer)

171 Will Starks 1st (2x State Champ)

189 Richard Starks 1st (3x State Champ 4x finalist)

275 Kyle Goodrich 1st

103 Shane Parks 3rd (eventual State Champ)

160 Chad Fyffe 4th (2x State placer)

215 Matt Byrd 5th (eventual State Champ and 3x placer)

8 Placers, 5 State Champs, 13 individual titles between those guys listed and 13 Team titles.

I think CC is an outstanding team, I believe that they would give this team a run for their money. That being said, I still believe the 06 WC team to be a touch better. They competed and tough tournaments as well ie Greenville, Hammer and Anvil, the Dragon just to name a few.

Very impressive. This gets my vote (for now). How did these boys fare beyond high school?