Sign in to follow this  
bulldog-leader

2012-2013 State tournament.

Mpire, my Dad wasn't a bartender. No he did drink enough PBR to open his own establishment lol. No, him and his Father and brother moved up here from Harlan in '56. They grew up in Brookside I believe. And I know your from Corbin... and please man... they invented they word "hillbilly" lol I still got nothin but love for ya man. Good luck in the tourney tomorrow. Jr can't go, he was tlbs over today at noon. But we would have loved to come.

That's cool it's fat time of the season and that's not my horrible spelling or typing no biggie yeah when I was little all my relatives in Nky let me know was a hillbilly redneck red hound and tey were not even from Ohio and all my relatives in Corbin called all my relatives in Nky buckeyes it seemed that if you were from Nky you were not from ky but from Ohio it was always strange to me because in Ohio if you were from Nky you were still a hillbilly lol who knows , I guess Nky was really the border state , just being silly anyway it's fat time of the season and I get bored . Tell jr to keep hitting it watch the low single hes got one move to stop to win his spot sprawl good hand position learn witch side it's hit from and circle away from it , I have seen it for years one good move is all some people have but years ifs till defend everything. You have the advantage they won't watch you a close as you will them because the ego of their age will makem overconfident so will the numbers in their clique history is a great thing someone always uses numbers to pull of an upset and it's not the superior numbers but the outgunned guys who always pull of the exciting win ,

You need a great escape like Von Manstein and then a great offensive move something they will not expect and have not seen or a total Chang of attitude that will throw them off balance come out and head butt em right in the mouth after bein so very polite , a move I have heard their own coaches teach lol

• Upvote 1

Freedom hall or broadbent! Indiana has theirs at Conseco Fieldhouse and that place is packed! Magical feeling and the parade of champions before the finals is something to see. Should be a magical moment for the kids who made it there! They deserve that!

The KHSAA has said Freedom Hall was too expensive and too big to rent for that weekend. At least that's what I've been told by Julian Tackett.

As far as Broadbent ... parents would have the same issue in that they wouldn't be allowed on the floor like at the Civic Center. Broadbent's bleachers, much like the Horse Park, are raised off the floor.

A ribbon? Wow, man that's crazy. As empire said, in Ohio each finalist gets a singlet, shirt, and shorts that are color coordinated for the color ankle band they wore. Green or red.

As a media member, this would make covering the finals so much easier.

Something I'd like to see changed as a fan and media member -- the flooring. The second I walked into the arena, the dust and everything in the air got to me. I barely could stand to be there because of it. The holey flooring they used last year wasn't very good. Hopefully they're going to fix that next year.

• Upvote 1

Mr Claywell ,Stalling is referring to OAC Jr High state when he is talking about the color coordinated warmups and singlets ,The OAC goes all out for its finalists awesome framed giant Brackets for winners warmups and singlets for finalists very classy parade of champions for all finalists ,Hats off to them the other organisation Ourway in Ohio does a nice job and has awesome Eagle trophies for all its finalists and singlets as well but they dont have the respect that OAC has earned and usually is considered a bit weaker than OAC ,but both are neat and help the sport in Ohio quite possibly a reason they are such a prominent wrestling state ,that and the close proximity all the Northern Ohio studs have to all the Pennsylvania studs ;)

I dont think Highschools would appreciate their logos not being shown at a finals match it would defeat the purpose of a school sport could you imagine two state finalist teams in football not wearing their school colors ........wouldnt seem right .

The kids really like it and in Ohio the OAC is not offiliated with the organisation that runs the jr high teams duiring the season so there is not really any way a school team can get ticked about the singlets .In Ky its a school organisation and i know you know i just thought i would explain why it works in ky i do know the High School finalists in Ohio have stated i wish we could get singlets like the Jr High kids.

It Could be done the Kids would love it ,Personally i would think it would be cool to give a championship singlet to the school they could put the school name on it and the kids name and class hang it on the wrestling room wall ,thats just stuff i think is awesome and i know it gives youth and other kids something to shoot for .

Its really not that hard to make a sport more attractive to athletes and even fans ,just give it the respect it deserves and add some flash for the kids.

Nice role models and studs also seem to go a long way in earning the sport some respect .

I also agree you shouldn't try to totally copy another states tournament take some stuff that might work for you throw the rest away ,and always keep the pre final stuff the kids love it .

Another thing i have seen at OSU duiring their dual one year against Michigan the Ourway regionals were right next to the OSU MICH duals and duiring a break They let some kids do an exhibition match it was awesome .Could you imagine some grade schoolers or jr high kids getting to wrestle an exhibition match duiring the state championship ,

It would be awesome ,Maybe some little guys say 9 and under the first day and some older kids the next day ,it would be neat .

The KHSAA has said Freedom Hall was too expensive and too big to rent for that weekend. At least that's what I've been told by Julian Tackett.

As far as Broadbent ... parents would have the same issue in that they wouldn't be allowed on the floor like at the Civic Center. Broadbent's bleachers, much like the Horse Park, are raised off the floor.

As a media member, this would make covering the finals so much easier.

Something I'd like to see changed as a fan and media member -- the flooring. The second I walked into the arena, the dust and everything in the air got to me. I barely could stand to be there because of it. The holey flooring they used last year wasn't very good. Hopefully they're going to fix that next year.

I know what your saying but someone told me the other day that unless ALL the filters are changed and the ventalation ducts are cleaned AFTER a non-holy flooring has been installed before the mats are put down it will not matter. Once it is in the system the dust just gets redistributed. This came from someone that deals with breathing problems on a daily basis. They were shocked that more people did not complain.

I thought All Tech was Waaay more intense, interesting ,exciting and had everyone on the edge of their seat of course i wasnt at Franfort but im telling you All Tech was better and next year will be even better than this year .pin to win baby i like it that would be an awesome user name ,Tenpin

Perhaps someday we will be popular enough to fill All Tech to create that atmosphere we had in Frankfort. If we are voting, Frankfort for sure gets mine.

• Upvote 1

The dungeon was too small. All Tech needs to be tweaked in some areas, but they main points were right on. It was big enough that we could find seating, but large enough to watch multiple matches .

If the state tourney was still a 3 day affair then All tech would be to big. The Dungeon did not have enough room for mats, but I thought it was large enough for fans. All Tech still had many seats open during the tourney.

the dungeon had just enough room for fans. there were still sections open for spectators. i do think that the increase to 6 mats is really very nice. But it was just something about the Dungeon that made ya fall in love with it

I thought All Tech was Waaay more intense, interesting ,exciting and had everyone on the edge of their seat of course i wasnt at Franfort but im telling you All Tech was better and next year will be even better than this year .pin to win baby i like it that would be an awesome user name ,Tenpin

Not ragging on you or anything, but: How can you say Altech Arena is better when you never experienced State in Frankfort?

• Upvote 1

Its Humor ,Most big tournments usually have plenty of empty seats in the big arenas If Alltech is bigger and has more mats then it is probably ran smoother and with less possibilities of foul ups The cramped quarters of some tournaments are fun and have a different atmosphere but a state tournament is probably better off in a large nice facility .3 days would be a drag and Lexington is pretty much dead center of the state .

Actually, somewhere in Marion County is the geographic center of the state. :lol:

I'm stlll not sold on the idea of State being at the new arena, but it'll grow on me. I just miss the amazing atmosphere that was Frankfort. Things were just a little too quiet for my tastes last year in Lexington.

• Upvote 1

Someone told me the gym in Frankfort only held three mats if that was the case lets be honest All Tech is hands down a better facility a state tournament should be in a place deserving of what it represents to a state and the sport and first and foremost in being respectable would be sise ,having only three mats kind of says it all and none of it is good.

no frankfort had 4 and at all tech we didnt get back to our hotel the last day until almost 1, the hotel at frankfort was awesome. It was right next door, could fit pretty much every team in it and you could simply walk back after your part of the day was pver and or had a long break and needed to rest. With the all tech the closest hotel is i think 12 minutes away and in order to go back to the hotel we needed a coach to go with us. I just found that the Dungeon was an overall better lpace to have the state tournament. At least from a wrestlers perspective

I guess 4 mats is better than three but still an embarrassment when dealing with a STATE tournament .Logistically as far as hotels perhaps it was quicker and perhaps some kids feel more comfortable in a small wrestling facility but hey its the STATE tournament step up to the big time its supposed to be larger than life larger than the average tournament "and most i have seen can hold at least six or eight mats "

12 whole minutes WOW

Not so much the time, but the convenience. In Frankfort the hotel was essentially "attached" to the facility. Wrestlers were not stuck at the arena; they had the flexibility to go back to their room and rest or manage weight or eat or whatever. Same for fans. It was an easy walk when you needed a break. In time i believe they will work out the issues at the horse park and it will be better, but will never beat that convenience factor.

• Upvote 2

I guess 4 mats is better than three but still an embarrassment when dealing with a STATE tournament .Logistically as far as hotels perhaps it was quicker and perhaps some kids feel more comfortable in a small wrestling facility but hey its the STATE tournament step up to the big time its supposed to be larger than life larger than the average tournament "and most i have seen can hold at least six or eight mats "

12 whole minutes WOW

You really aren't understanding where folks are coming from on this. Twelve minutes may not seem like a big deal to you, but that 12 minutes spent on the road is time kids could be spending resting in their rooms or doing whatever instead of being on the road.

And if I were a wrestling parent, no way would I be doing that much driving during the state tournament with gas the way it is these days.

I understand the convenience factor Im sure it makes it easier ,I have taken my kids all across the country to wrestle and sometimes the way it was set up it was very convenient and others it was a nightmare.

I do understand but the argument to have a legit facility that can hold everything and appear modern when the state starts getting the coverage it deserves "like on Flo "or even matches on this very site and be ran smoothly is probably a better argument for all tech than for a much less worthy facility even with easier accomodations .

suffer and win its not always the easiest way that is the best i saw kids crashed out on mattresses and they looked fine ,i really do not think they cared as much as people are letting on they probably enjoyed a more modern larger facility the awe factor had to make it a bit better than a smaller arena or gym.