Sign in to follow this  
bigedcoach

Interesting concept -State Duals/State Tournament

Since the State tournament has gone back to 2 days and in a bigger facility, how about this interesting idea

Combine State Duals and the State Tournament

Wrestle the State Duals on Thursday

Wrestle the State Tournament on Friday and Saturday

Have Regional Tournaments on Friday and Saturdays before the state tournament

Positives

• evolves more wrestlers in to a state tournament environment which would spur growth in the sport like the 32 man bracket did
  • more revenue generated by this day making it a more attractive tournament for venues to host
  • State Duals would be a true post season event giving value to a team concept
  • The perfect wrestling weekend where you get to see both types of wrestling (Dual meet and tournaments)
  • Allows for more training of wrestlers after regional’s

Negative possibly

10 matches in 3 days (this could be a positive)

3 Weigh INS

How does it allow for more training after the regional tourny?

By having the state duals the thurs before state it takes away one day for training after regionals.

It would also be a possibiliy of 13 matches in 3 days.

5 matches on Thursday (State duals)

8 matches at State tourney. If you lose the 1st round and make it to placement 3-6.

more kids would be movitated in the room if their team qualified , just not takedown partners for the individual qualifiers. I know some programs have all wrestlers practice until the state tournamnet but you have to admitt if they dont qualify for state , the movination for training does down and they go in to what I call oreo and XBOX mode

Way to much befor state i mean if you make it to state duals you are going harder than you do all year to help you team win state duals, and you cant do that if you are worrying about if you are making weight for the next two days specially if its worrying to make it for STATE.................

Good wrestlers on bad teams would have an advantage in that their teams don't qualify for state duals and they wouldn't have to make weight the extra day and wrestle 5 duals the day prior to the state tournament.

Didnt we already make weight for state 3 days in a row once ? Have to be intense for 3 days? Worry about our team winning state?

yes we did but that was one reason why people did not want state to be a 3 day tournament

I agree, not really a good idea overall. Wrestlers who make the individual tournament but their teams don't make the duals, would have a major advantage. They would only have to make weight two days, not three plus they would ge a one pound allowance on the 1st weigh-in since the teams who are competing at state duals would be doing competitions on consecutive days.

Iowa switched to this format this year. Their state duals had been held after the traditional state tournament. Now the Iowa State Duals are on a Wednesday followed by traditional state on Thursday, Friday, & Saturday. However, Iowa has individual state duals and state tournaments for 1A, 2A, & 3A schools which is different from Kentucky. I believe Minnesota uses a similar format as well. How do Kentucky schools qualify for the state duals currently?

If State Duals is limited to the top eight teams (only one from each region), does anyone see it working in that case? I don't see it working either way. Too many matches in a short time span, and the current limit is five per day (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Interesting responses about this. I still like the positives and it does bring out the champions if you did wrestle in this. I know this is a lot of matches over 3 days but I dont see it as an issue especially going forward 5 matches Thursday, 2 Friday, 3 Saturday. That also means that your kid wrestles every match in the state duals.

I agree with everyone on that it would give kids whose teams didn't make it to state duals an advantage. For the kid's teams that did make it to state duals, it would make it harder on them for the weigh-in 3 days in a row and the fact that it wouldn't give kids a break from a physically tiring and mentally stressful environment. The way that its set up now is a good format because it gives kids and their teams a break in between tough competitions.