Derek Nickel - State Champ

DC Evans

Coty Lewis - State Champ

Trey Morlatt

Josh Ashbrook

Mark Jones

Deon Chaney

Anthony Bailey

why isnt nickel going to win? And i agree ervin should be there!

He won't win because he's good. He'll [for some strange reason] lose because he dominated at state.  :roll: [End sarcasm]

he's not gunna beat chaney again

he wont beat green

i dont think he can beat dials

Talk is cheap ! Nickels proved he was #1 at 215 the only place that you can! And that is on the mat.

Talk is cheap ! Nickels proved he was #1 at 215 the only place that you can! And that is on the mat.

I agree.  I can't believe there are so many people on here doubting Nickel.  You have to give him credit he decisively won a very competitive and tough weight class.  I understand wanting to support you guy or teammate, but giving Nickel bulletin board material doesn't help.

Alright, it is time to come to the defense of my guy, Derek Nickel.  The only reason people think Nickel is a fluke is because he went from not placing the year before to being state champ.  Nickel is as talented as anyone at the 215 weight class and I would even say more talented than anyone in this weight class proven by his state championship.  You can't win a state championship and be a fluke.  He was always in every match against the best at 215.  At state, he did not give up an offensive point.  The only other one who can say that is Elliott Martin.  That's pretty impressive for a "fluke".  People said he would never beat Dockery and he did the week before regionals.  They said he wouldn't make it past Winter in the quarters last year and he dominated him.  They said he wouldn't beat Shipp in the semis because Shipp had just pinned who some people considered the favorite in the 215 weight class the round before, Adam Dials, but he won that one as well.  Finally, people said Deon would dominate him in the championship because Nickel just wasn't as good as Deon and well, anyone who saw that match or knows wrestling would say Nickel handled himself pretty well.  Nickel has a terrific work ethic and he has a lot of heart.  He never takes the easy route and always works his tail off.  I know because I get to see it every day.  Last year, Nickel had no one to push him in practice.  We didn't have a HWT or a 189.  Our 171 was a 1st year wrestler and out 1/2 of the year with an injury.  He worked every day pretty much by himself.  Can Chaney, Green or Dials say this?  I don't think so.  At least Chaney had Hardin, Green had Bullock and Dials had Kelly.  We finally got him some competition to wrestle the week before state and look what happened.  We do have some decent wrestlers in our upper weight classes for him to wrestle this year and I have a guy coming to work with him this year on a regular basis who was a state champ in Ohio and a scholarship wrestler for Ohio State.  He has improved two fold from last year and just keeps getting better every day.  People who come to wrestle Nickel this year better strap on their head gear extra tight, because they are going to be in a battle.  It is about time people start realizing Nickel is legit.  People better start saying when they come to wrestle Nickel they better be ready and not the other way around.  I'm not saying he can't be beat, because on a given day anyone can be.  I am saying however, that he is the favorite to repeat this year and I think he will.  I wrestled in Indiana and got the privilege to see some of the best that state had to offer in the 1990's.  I saw Pat Cassidy, a 3X state champ from Bloomington South, Andy Schneider, a 3X state champ from Mount Vernon, the Moldanodo brothers from East Chicago Central and the Levell brothers from Decatur Central of which all were state champs.  I know the talent level and work ethic it takes to be considered a legit wrestler and Nickel has it.  So please, keep giving Derek bulletin board material and some more external motivation.  He doesn't really need it because he is one of the most internally motivated people I know, but we enjoy it.  It just makes him look that much better when he wins.

Well said.  Nickel is a fantastic wrestler and heckuva kid.  We got to see him at the mustang classic where he beat Dockery.  He's something to see.  I personally don't know why he can't get the respect he deserves.

Just one more thing I would like to add about Derek Nickel.  If he was from Union Co., Woodford Co., LaRue Co., Fern Creek, Trinity, etc., we wouldn't be having this conversation either.  However, because he is from the lowly Region 3 school Doss, he must be a "fluke", right?  Sorry to all of you who are true wrestling fans and respect this great sport, but I just have no tolerance for those who want to disrespect their opponents or this sport with rabble and trash talk.  Respect everyone, fear no one!  Having an opinion is one thing, but trash talking and acting like a fool is another.  To Armbar, why can't Nickel beat Dials, Green or Chaney again.  He has never wrestled Dials, he has wrestled Green twice and lost, but they were very close and could have gone either way (1 pt & 2 pts. were the scoring differences) and he has wrestled Chaney twice (a 1 pt. defeat and a 6 pt. victory).  Don't just say he can't or that you think he can't, back it up with some good reasons or legit points. 

Dragon Master.  I understand your frustration.  I don't think it has much to do with being from Region 3.  It has more to do with being from DOS.  I have the same problems at my school.  We are not a traditionally strong school either (Holmes), and we are in region 6. 

We from smaller programs always will have a difficult road ahead to receive the respect we may deserve. 

It is very rare that a wrestler from a small program wins a state title.  In all honesty it is usually seen as a fluke.  This does not mean that this wrestler is not a good wrestler.  But "Flukes" are usually reserved for the larger schools.  Take for example Ervin.  When he defeated Banks few have said it to be a fluke.  However if he would have come from Apolla, Danville, DOS, Atherton, KCD, Holmes, Western Hills, or Whitley County,  (I think I have every region represented) he would not have been reveared as he is not. 

This is not a put down to the smaller schools.  There are reasons for these beliefs. 

1.  Lack of tradition

2.  Stability in the coaching staff.

3.  Lack of participation (Which means they don't have practice partners)

Another one of those examples is Josh Johnson.  He made it to the finals and has not returned.  No one has said much about this being a fluke because he originally came from North Hardin.

These are the burdons that the smaller programs bare.  It is also what makes it difficult for those programs to improve and become a major program.  I think that region 3 as a whole has a unique opportunity.  You are in a region that is not traditionally strong, yet all the teams in the region have a legitimate chance of being regional champs.  This gives you the opportunity to built your tradition locally and then that respect will trickle to the rest of the state.

Good luck DOSS and Mr. Nickel.  As I tell my wrestlers, show them on the mat, don't worry about what is being said.

Guest jp

I don't think Josh was a fluke, no matter if wrestled for North or John Hardin

If Josh wouldn't  have place after being in the finals, then you could say it was a fluke.

But that would be said in any region.

Yes, Josh didn't make it to the finals last year, he lost in the semi's to the eventual state champion and finished third.

Either way, I think Josh will be at the top of which ever weigh class he goes this year :wink:

DragonMaster,

Great post and to the point, there are alot of kids on this site. Many do a great job of posting, but some show their immaturity, posting nonsense and baseless claims. It does no good for people old or young to come on here and simply boast or talk big to support their favorite team or wrestler. I think if anything it just motivates the wrestler to prove them wrong.

I personally have been impressed with Derek, he has worked his tail off and its paid off for him. I could be wrong but I dont think he has been wrestling as long as some of the kids and some people have a hard time accepting the fact that experience doesnt always overcome great desire and great work ethic.  I also think people underestimate how competitive 215 was last year, Nickel, Chaney, Dockery, Green, Dials (I probably missed someone) they are all tough kids. Derek came out on top, he earned his respect just as the other kids who combined to make it such a tough weight class.

Being around region 3 a lot, I have become quite familiar with Nickel.  We have talked a lot, and I'd just like to say that he had my respect way before he ever won a state championship, soley on the type of person he is.  Anybody who knows him could tell you he is one of the most nicest, and down to earth kids there is out there.  Good Luck this year Nickel

I don't think Josh was a fluke, no matter if wrestled for North or John Hardin

If Josh wouldn't  have place after being in the finals, then you could say it was a fluke.

But that would be said in any region.

Yes, Josh didn't make it to the finals last year, he lost in the semi's to the eventual state champion and finished third.

Either way, I think Josh will be at the top of which ever weigh class he goes this year :wink:

Josh was no fluke. He is a great little wrestler. He has excellent mat awareness, great technique and pretty good strength. What he lacks is great quickness but his winning attitude, technique and instinct will make him a top contender at any weight.

I know Doss doesn't have the recent tradition that some of the other schools do.  Those schools earned their respect and they do have mine.  However, I always tell my kids to wrestle the individual, not the singlet.  It is not what the singlet says on the outside that defines who you are, it is the heart and character you have inside that do!  I try to instill the same values in my wrestlers that my coach did in me.  At the end of the day, if my kids put their maximum effort into a match and walk off the mat knowing they gave it their all and didn't give up, I don't care what the final score is, to me they are a winner and they have earned my respect.  To me, and I truly me no disrespect to anyone, being from Woodford, Trinity, LaRue, Fern Creek, Union, etc. doesn't make you a good wrestler, just like being from Doss or any other less traditional school makes you a bad one.  Granted those schools have more than their fair share of good wrestlers and for good reasons.  They have dedicated kids who work hard and class act coaches who put their all into coaching, but there are other programs out there that do as well.  People need to realize that.  Derek Nickel has earned my respect and that of many others.  He is a winner on the mat and more importantly off the mat, which is what truly counts.  Good luck to all this year.