Sign in to follow this  
BootsN

FLO Rankings

How about the number of Kentucky wrestlers ranked in the newest FLO Rankings...awesome stuff!  Congratulations on the recognition gents!  Keep working hard...

Ryan Moore

Mason Smith

Zane Brown

Micah Ervin

Very impressive results...In my short 4 years here, I can't recall that many ranked at one time.  Anyone with more history, please elaborate on if there have been more..

• Upvote 3

Austin was ranked all 4 yrs ,and Him Boston Brock and Fausz were all ranked but im not sure about at the same time I know Brock Boston and Austin were ranked at same time.Stephen was ranked there as well at differnt times not sure when.Frankrone Austin and Fausz were probably all ranked at same time .

• Downvote 2

I think what Lionheart is trying to say is no BootsN.  Even though KY has had quite a few really good wrestlers over the years he can't think of a time that we've had 4 nationally ranked wrestlers at once.    

• Upvote 2

Yeah there have been 4 or more at once in various rankings but probably not Flo ,Cooper was ranked and Fahy as well but im not sure they were on Flo ,

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 7/13/2017 at 5:54 PM, REscalera said:

I think what Lionheart is trying to say is no BootsN.  Even though KY has had quite a few really good wrestlers over the years he can't think of a time that we've had 4 nationally ranked wrestlers at once.    

+1. Definitely the golden years of ky wrestling, plus Escalera should get a nod!

On 7/21/2017 at 2:34 PM, wildcat2002 said:

+1. Definitely the golden years of ky wrestling, plus Escalera should get a nod!

He's easily the greatest high school wrestler ever from Kentucky, right?  He's a Fargo champ and as others have repeated, Fargo is the toughest tournament anywhere. Wait, doesn't Union send kids to Ironman?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Nkawtg said:

He's easily the greatest high school wrestler ever from Kentucky, right?  He's a Fargo champ and as others have repeated, Fargo is the toughest tournament anywhere. Wait, doesn't Union send kids to Ironman?

Union has sent kids to Ironman. Brock lost in the finals to Zahid Valencia his senior year. I'm sure Zeke will be at Ironman next year, but won't be wrestling for Union.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, pin2win said:

Union has sent kids to Ironman. Brock lost in the finals to Zahid Valencia his senior year. I'm sure Zeke will be at Ironman next year, but won't be wrestling for Union.

That's a bummer. I heard Wyo Sem, correct?

• Upvote 1

On 8/1/2017 at 4:09 AM, Nkawtg said:

I would say he's up there already, he still has a lot of high school ahead of him. I will be rooting for him despite leaving the state. He's doing the right thing searching for competition. With the schedule at WS (Ironman, poweraid duels with blair and St eds) he will have issue finding competition. Congrats again.

• Upvote 1

On 8/1/2017 at 4:09 AM, Nkawtg said:

Super 32, hands down the toughest high school tournament in the nation.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, TECHnWIN said:

I would disagree with the Super 32 being the toughest tournament.  It is a very deep a tough tournament without a doubt but it is a preseason tournament and the organizers work hard to try to ensure that it is the first big one.  In doing so, the competition is void of some competitors due to playing other sports as well as the fact that it is so early a lot of programs aren't in full swing.  I would think Ironman has super 32 beat.  The season is in full swing and all kids are in wrestling shape and all off-season rust has been shaken off.  Also, if I recall correctly, Super 32 only has 1 day weigh ins which doesn't do any good for competition.  If a kid has to maintain that weight for a 2nd weigh in it will certainly make for more competitive wrestling. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, TECHnWIN said:

I will also have to piggy back on this super 32 is tough as nails but no where near toughest in the nation, Indianamat.com pre-season is just as impressive. 

I hate to see Escalera leave the bluegrass state but also have to congratulate him, SEM is a very great school and has a great wrestling program. But again if we as a state want to retain kids like Zeke then we need more participation in the off-season to be able to push kids to there highest potential!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, REscalera said:

I would disagree with the Super 32 being the toughest tournament.  It is a very deep a tough tournament without a doubt but it is a preseason tournament and the organizers work hard to try to ensure that it is the first big one.  In doing so, the competition is void of some competitors due to playing other sports as well as the fact that it is so early a lot of programs aren't in full swing.  I would think Ironman has super 32 beat.  The season is in full swing and all kids are in wrestling shape and all off-season rust has been shaken off.  Also, if I recall correctly, Super 32 only has 1 day weigh ins which doesn't do any good for competition.  If a kid has to maintain that weight for a 2nd weigh in it will certainly make for more competitive wrestling. 

Agree wholeheartedly. S 32 is nowhere near what it used to be. So many events, all competing for our dollar that claim to be "national" events are watered down. As much as I dig the Flo guys I gotta say FloNats falls in this category as well. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, TECHnWIN said:

Does ironman have brackets with 150 plus kids?

That's the problem with the Super 32 bracket.  The top 4-8 wrestlers may make it through day 1 without a very competitive match.  That's not happening at Ironman.  At Ironman you could very well find yourself in a battle in the first round.  

• Upvote 1

On 8/4/2017 at 9:47 PM, wildcat2002 said:

Agree with you guys. Ironman rules all. No question.

Ill still agree to disagree. Super 32 is a monster of a tournament.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 8/4/2017 at 8:11 AM, Ranger123 said:

Quantity does not always equal quality

Definetly increases the odds !

12 hours ago, TECHnWIN said:

Ill still agree to disagree. Super 32 is a monster of a tournament.

Nobody said Super 32s isn't a monster of a tournament.  I think we all agree with that statement.  It's just not hands down the toughest tournament.

• Upvote 1

Yep, what Rescalera said. Super 32 is definitely right up there with the best of them. BUT with it being "preseason" you tend to get kids who either don't show because they aren't in top shape or show up not at their peak. Also you lose a lot of kid who play fall sports. Fargo tends to cut out many of those out of shape kids and lower level kids from the power states because you can't just go to Fargo just because you want to if you are from a power state like IL OH PA MN etc as those kids have to get through a rigorous qualifying process. So when comparing Super 32 and Fargo, both have tons of top talent but Fargo cuts out a lot of the easy matches with the qualifying process. 

For FR/GR - Fargo, nothing touches this!

Folkstyle - IRONMAN in my opinion is by far the toughest. S32, yes is super tough, but you get 150 man brackets because anyone pretty much can get into this event. Not to forget, you also have FLO and Virginia Beach (NHSCA).

Ironman- You have to have a solid wrestling resume to get in this event. You just don't sign up for this and get in! 

But all of these events are definitely meat grinders. Id rank them in this order regardless the style of wrestling.

1: Fargo

2: Ironman

3: Flo (I put Flo just ahead of S32, just a little, because kids just finished up the regular season and have been training for NHSCA and Flo. I feel kids are more at their top wrestling skill level/conditioning vs S32, where kids are just getting started into the up coming season.

3.5: S32

4: NHSCA 

• Upvote 2