Sign in to follow this  
Zeus

Big Ten Championships

Anyone else going to Bloomington, IN (Indiana Univ hosting) to watch Big Tens? It's only a three hour drive from Lexington and tickets are only $40 for an all session pass. Wrestling starts at 10 am on Saturday, and I hope to be home in time for dinner on Sunday. If I were coaching this year I'd take some wrestlers like I've done in years past, a chance to see the best college wrestlers on a shoestring budget.

While I love going to NCAAs and will start going again when my son is older, Big Tens is a muuuuch better value for the time and money.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Zeus said:

Anyone else going to Bloomington, IN (Indiana Univ hosting) to watch Big Tens? It's only a three hour drive from Lexington and tickets are only $40 for an all session pass. Wrestling starts at 10 am on Saturday, and I hope to be home in time for dinner on Sunday. If I were coaching this year I'd take some wrestlers like I've done in years past, a chance to see the best college wrestlers on a shoestring budget.

While I love going to NCAAs and will start going again when my son is older, Big Tens is a muuuuch better value for the time and money.

Zeus - Where are you purchasing your tickets? 

Unfortunately, I'm sitting this one out. I'm really looking forward to tracking 174. Not sure if they'll sit Bo out for the finals, but if they don't, this could be Mark Hall's opportunity to assert himself. Getting on the opposite side of Valencia (Az St.) at NCAAs is ideal. 

If Bo doesn't wrestle Mark and Suriano sits out and doesn't wrestle Gilman, I'm not going to be very happy! I am interested in the possibility of a Cory Clark/Nathan Tomasello match though.

4 hours ago, Nkawtg said:

NT is wrestling very well right now. So is Myles Martin. Don't be surprised if the Buckeyes walk out with 4 champs. 

Bold prediction. Last year proved you shouldn't sleep on Myles, but the B10 184 lbs class is absolutely stacked. I wish Brooks (Iowa) would have bulked in the off season to try and get up to 97. He isn't beating Cox, but 2nd or 3rd at 97 are certainly not a forgone conclusion.

133 is pretty stacked too. I'm excited to see what Micic (Michigan) can do against the best in the country. He will get himself a title before his college career is over. I can't see him dethroning NT, but anyone else, including Clark, are far from unbeatable. 

• Upvote 1

NaTo and Snyder look like solid bets to title. Not so confident on any other Buckeye. 285: Injuries took a toll. Imagine Coon and Stoll in that bracket as well. Snyder best in the world regardless. 133: Clark is dinged up and I don't see him making the finals. Maybe we see a Tomasello-Clark semi. NaTo struggled to get out from bottom vs Richards and Montoya (who is a beast on top). I still see OSU with a title here. 174: When healthy, Jordan is the best 174 in the country. He has been fighting a serious foot injury for some time now. The fact he is wrestling is amazing. Hall might be able to take him right now. 184: I am not so sure Myles will get it done. That is a tough weight class and Bo Nickal is on a totally different level. Nate Jackson is fun to watch and could upset somebody. 197: I love what Collin Moore has done this year. RS freshman in a big boy weight class dominated by upperclassmen, and he is top 5! Even more amazing considering he wrestled 160 as a HS junior and 182 as a senior. I have been waiting for him to hit the "freshman wall" but that has not happened. He has shown to be a gamer every match. Still, he is 0-2 this year against probable finals opponent Pfarr. He lost 15-7 at Cliff Keen but narrowed the gap to 7-5 in the dual.  

• Upvote 1

On 3/1/2017 at 8:03 AM, Nike Man said:

If Bo doesn't wrestle Mark and Suriano sits out and doesn't wrestle Gilman, I'm not going to be very happy! I am interested in the possibility of a Cory Clark/Nathan Tomasello match though.

Suriano got the #2 seed. So I guess he is wrestling. Unless his plan is to step on the mat and med FF. (?)

Clark 3 seed, won't see NaTo.

BoJo 1 seed, Mark Hall 2 seed.

Myles 4 seed. Will see Nickal in semis if seeds play out.

Snyder got the 1 seed. I was curious if they would give it to Medberry, solely based on Snyder's limited # of matches. I am interested to see what 6 seed Black does. He could creep into top four.

TJ received a 9 seed. B1G Ten gets 9 AQs at this weight. No room for error here.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, crazyotto said:

Suriano got the #2 seed. So I guess he is wrestling. Unless his plan is to step on the mat and med FF. (?)

Clark 3 seed, won't see NaTo.

BoJo 1 seed, Mark Hall 2 seed.

Myles 4 seed. Will see Nickal in semis if seeds play out.

Snyder got the 1 seed. I was curious if they would give it to Medberry, solely based on Snyder's limited # of matches. I am interested to see what 6 seed Black does. He could creep into top four.

TJ received a 9 seed. B1G Ten gets 9 AQs at this weight. No room for error here.

Thanks for the seeding updates! A rematch of the 2016 174 NCAA finals in the semifinals of the B10 tourney. Absolutely stacked weight. Glad to see Clark and NT separated. I think it would be strategically wise for Clark to forfeit the finals, but from a fans perspective, I hope he goes for it. I'll definitely be pulling for TJ. 

Things that stuck out this morning. NATO and BoJo didn't look great in the quarters. Stevan Micic just may slip in there and win 133. TJ Ruschell won first round and lost to Nolf in the quarters. Needs to win 1 in the wrestle backs to AQ. Gilman is a damn monster. Marky Mark had a quick pin in the quarters. PSU will probably still win the Big 10s and NCAAs even without Suriano, they are just that good! 

• Upvote 1

Penn St. is stacked! and what is most impressive is the fact there is only 1 starter who is a senior (Gulibon) , 2 Juniors, Zane and Mcutchen

the rest are all freshmen and sophomore

Some great semi finals! Micic comes up a little short against NATO, BoJo comes through, but Myles Martin stole the show! Takes out Nickal in an epic match! Myles is peaking....again! Gilman took care of business as expected. One of my favorites Issac Jordan loses again to Massa on a BS call. Seriously? Unbelievable! PSU is in the drivers seat to win this thing. Only challenger may be OSU. On a side note, Minnesota has looked solid this weekend. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Nike Man said:

Some great semi finals! Micic comes up a little short against NATO, BoJo comes through, but Myles Martin stole the show! Takes out Nickal in an epic match! Myles is peaking....again! Gilman took care of business as expected. One of my favorites Issac Jordan loses again to Massa on a BS call. Seriously? Unbelievable! PSU is in the drivers seat to win this thing. Only challenger may be OSU. On a side note, Minnesota has looked solid this weekend. 

I would have lost money on the Myles-Nickal match. Kid knows how to peak when it counts!

• Upvote 1

They did even better than I thought. Go Bucks!  I'm sticking with my predication. I also think they win it all...the Big Tens and NCAAs. 

• Upvote 1

I'm rooting for the buckeyes as well. The glaring holes at 125, 157 and 165 are unexcusable. I do think they all still have a shot to qualify,  but I find it had to believe TOSU couldn't find another route for 157 and 165 instead of his son. 

Hall and Jordan put on a heck of a show. It's a shame either had to lose. We could see a rematch in the NCAA semifinals, depending on where they put Valencia, seeding wise.

Sammy Brooks' 6 point foot sweep was a thing of beauty. If you would've told me that Brooks majors his opponent in the B10 finals, I would've drug tested you. 

So much for me calling for PSU to win it! Lol! Ohio State is the real deal. Great finals matches. The Nickal Dudley match for 3rd was a lot closer than the score indicated and a blast to watch. Still shocked that Micah knocked off Sorenson then gets tech'd again in the finals. Retherford is scary good.