Sign in to follow this  
KYW

State Finals

Broadbent holds around 6,600 and I have heard that the two day attendance at the high school state finals is a bit over 10,000.  There are a few questions we would need to ask just for seating purposes... 1) Is the first day larger and the second smaller as the kids who lose the first day go home? or 2) Is the second day larger due to everyone wanting to see, what typically, is the better day of wrestling? or 3) Are both days about equal in attendance?

3 minutes ago, CradleKY said:

10,000 sounds about 8,000 too high of an estimate

I will recheck my source, but if it is only 8,000 over two days Broadbent may work.  It is like a larger version of the Civic Center in Frankfort.

2 minutes ago, plantmanky1 said:

Unless KHSAA changes the dates, anything at the fair grounds is out of the running. 

And then...there is that...

7 minutes ago, Nike Man said:

I know this topic comes up every year around this time. What is the issue with Memorial Coliseum? It seats 10,000. What are some other viable options?

I believe that the 1st state duals were held there.  I looked it up it now only holds 8,500. 

11 minutes ago, Nike Man said:

I know this topic comes up every year around this time. What is the issue with Memorial Coliseum? It seats 10,000. What are some other viable options?

I think they'd have conflict with memorial because of women's basketball.  Also with going to 8 mats if it would fit on floor. And parking would be a nitemare. I go to the women's games and have to park far away or in a parking garage way away and shuttle over.

1 hour ago, justaref said:

Is that because of the preparation for the fair or something? What's going on that would make the arena inaccessible during this weekend?

The group that puts on the Farm Machinery Show books up the entire fairgrounds for the two weeks they are their.  Nothing is available.  

1 hour ago, Nike Man said:

More than likely its UK womens schedule and cost of facilities.  Plus being on campus creates a few more issues to work around.  

27 minutes ago, plantmanky1 said:

The group that puts on the Farm Machinery Show books up the entire fairgrounds for the two weeks they are their.  Nothing is available.  

I did not know this. That would be a big hindrance to the ability to have it there. That group has way more money to throw around and the precedent of doing it forever on the same weekend every year. A season shifted by two weeks or somehow changed would not be the end of the world but finding a different venue would likely be easier than changing the week the competition happens.  

KHSAA will not change the date.  They do not want two state tourneys going on at the same time.  

It is one of the reasons the state was postponed so long a couple years ago. 

7 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

KHSAA will not change the date.  They do not want two state tourneys going on at the same time.  

Do all of the other sports take up a weekend? Could there be any compromise between two sports switching if the other sport already has a good venue and not using the fairgrounds?

10 minutes ago, justaref said:

Do all of the other sports take up a weekend? Could there be any compromise between two sports switching if the other sport already has a good venue and not using the fairgrounds?

It's basketball. .... there is no compromise for basketball.  Lol

44 minutes ago, justaref said:

I did not know this. That would be a big hindrance to the ability to have it there. That group has way more money to throw around and the precedent of doing it forever on the same weekend every year. A season shifted by two weeks or somehow changed would not be the end of the world but finding a different venue would likely be easier than changing the week the competition happens.  

Nooooooo... then I won't be able to go watch the Big Ten tournament!

24 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

Actually thats not totally true, there was venue conflict with the horse park and the dates State actually took place were the first open dates it could. 

From what I was told the next week Allteck was occupied and KHSAA waited to schedule after the basketball finals. 

Even if my info in not correct. KHSAA will not schedule two state tourneys at the same time every year. 

GOO, If you're talking about the year the snowstorm delayed State -- yes, Alltech was booked for a few weeks when the KHSAA wanted to move the state tourney. That's why it was pushed back till March that season.