Sign in to follow this  
Grappler

Feel Good Small Guy Thread

11 minutes ago, ukpridewrestler11 said:

I don't remember which Cooper I wrestled (2004 @ 135), but it was not pretty.

I think that would be Brad, if I'm recalling right that's the year him and Metzger met in the state finals (EPIC match)? Could have been Austin's little brother too (can't recall his name atm), but that would have been I think his freshman year? The names start to blend together after years now. :) Austin was like 145/152 that year I think. 

Kyle Cooper was at 145 and Neil Cooper was at 152 in 2004. Josh Cooper was at 112 and  Brad Cooper was at 135 in 2003. All of these guys are Simon Kenton Coopers. The legendary Metzger Cooper match was in 2003 at 145 but that was Scott Cooper of Larue. No relation that I know of.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Nike Man said:

Kyle Cooper was at 145 and Neil Cooper was at 152 in 2004. Josh Cooper was at 112 and  Brad Cooper was at 135 in 2003. All of these guys are Simon Kenton Coopers. The legendary Metzger Cooper match was in 2003 at 145 but that was Scott Cooper of Larue. No relation that I know of.

Ugh, yeah sorry. So many Coopers, Ervins, etc. It starts to run together sometimes. Not being from that region, just admiring some of the matches from state, it's even harder. Ha

That was my first year wrestling, and it was at a dual meet tournament Fern Creek hosted. Could have been anywhere from 125-135. Not sure what weight I was at. It was during the 2003-2004 season. Those Cooper's knew how to win. Back on track, Travis Sullivan's overall record was insane. That one blemish in his last match changed the tone, but very impressive what he did. He launched one of my teammates both times in the finals back to back years. 

21 hours ago, justaref said:

I think that would be Brad, if I'm recalling right that's the year him and Metzger met in the state finals (EPIC match)? Could have been Austin's little brother too (can't recall his name atm), but that would have been I think his freshman year? The names start to blend together after years now. :) Austin was like 145/152 that year I think. 

That's the dream match up everyone wanted to see but it never happened.

Some Henry Clay wrestlers were mentioned above. I would like to mention Coach Headley who hand in making these guys great to include coaching the Whalens, Hernandez twins, the Miller twins, and Stork. Critchfield and Headley have definitely produced some quality guys over the years.

• Upvote 2

For little guys I say Cibull was an absolute monster. I might be bias because of tc, but he was so tough and mean as hell. He would come in and make me damn near cry when I was a freshman and sophomore.  Lexingtons first 2x champ as well. He had technique that was great, but he added a nasty attitude and he was jacked too. 

I wrestled a lot of these guys back in my day. Lawson, Cibull, the Lee brothers from Simon Kenton. Think they ended up middle weights by the time we were all out. I liked to watch Jason Talbott when he was coming through.

23 minutes ago, 119Rider said:

I wrestled a lot of these guys back in my day. Lawson, Cibull, the Lee brothers from Simon Kenton. Think they ended up middle weights by the time we were all out. I liked to watch Jason Talbott when he was coming through.

Cibull won at 125 his senior yr. 

Talbott was awesome to watch as a kid who was new to wrestling

Chris Dunn deserves mention. The most fluid wrestler I ever saw in KY in the neutral position.  Coasted thru undefeated his senior season only using like 3 moves (he could score on any wrestler in the state regardless of weight class with a front headlock I'm not kidding he just perfected it). It was phenomenal the raw talent he possessed. 

• Upvote 1

Ya, Coach T I meant the Lee's were middle weights when we all graduated. I wrestled Tom his junior year at 119 in Danville finals. Looked for the rematch at state but unfortunately we didn't get to make that happen. Another one would be Brandon Wilkins, think he wrestled 130 or 135 his senior year.

Some tough guys from the 80's and 90's:

Pat Martz/Conner - 3 timer

Tommy Storms/Simon Kenton - 2 timer (lost in the finals in OT his senior year wrestling up 2 weight classes)

Dave Ritchie/Caldwell County - 3 timer

Dave Ritchie was nothing short of an animal.  Especially in the light weights.  He would just assume rip your head off than pin ya.  I believe he was also the beginning of the back flip in Ky wrestling after winning a state title. 

22 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

Dave Ritchie was nothing short of an animal.  Especially in the light weights.  He would just assume rip your head off than pin ya.  I believe he was also the beginning of the back flip in Ky wrestling after winning a state title. 

I remember seeing Dave Ritchie suplex Todd Adams in a freestyle tournament.  That kid had talent.

Todd Adams was also a state champ and 2x finalist.  Fern Creek had some tough light weights in  the 80's.  Todd King, Brett King, Todd Adams, Robert Hall, Troy Adams.  Then there was 2xer Tim Whitfil and Charles Smith in the 90's. and Caleb Wood in '05.  All 126 and below.

3 hours ago, ccbcdeke said:

I remember seeing Dave Ritchie suplex Todd Adams in a freestyle tournament.  That kid had talent.

Todd Adams was also a state champ and 2x finalist.  Fern Creek had some tough light weights in  the 80's.  Todd King, Brett King, Todd Adams, Robert Hall, Troy Adams.  Then there was 2xer Tim Whitfil and Charles Smith in the 90's. and Caleb Wood in '05.  All 126 and below.

Tim Whitfil was a great wrestler.  He was slick for sure.

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 10:04 PM, BroOfCoach said:

Definitely a great group there!

Sullivan was indeed a 3x champ and was undefeated for his entire career until the finals his senior year.  I think he was 23x-0 or something crazy like that.  He was a dominant champion who really did toss opponents around like a rag doll, especially his freshman and sophomore years, as someone else said before me.

Zarth was another great wrestler who I think doesn't get the credit he deserves as one of the best our state has seen.  He had a certain intensity about him that is seldom seen in Kentucky.

Of course Billy Clark belongs on the list.  He was one of the biggest 103/112 to ever wrestle in Kentucky. Mean high crotch and was great on top. Should have been a multi-time state champion, but appendicitis his junior year wrecked those plans.

Surprised no one has mentioned Jacob Murton... I mean, he beat Jordan Burroughs among other things.

Travis Sullivan's high school career ended with 304 wins.

Derrick fassbender from ryle was a animal as well.

Edited by Wcthrowback
Added info

9 hours ago, ccbcdeke said:

LI remember seeing Dave Ritchie suplex Todd Adams in a freestyle tournament.  That kid had talent.

Lets not forget about one of the best to wrestle in the state of ky, Johnny wolseifer

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, TECHnWIN said:

Lets not forget about one of the best to wrestle in the state of ky, Johnny wolseifer

Johnny was DEFINITELY middleweight haha. Most freakish blend of speed, power, balance, technique I'd ever personally gone against. Fern Creek has had tons of stellar lower and middleweights throughout the years.