Sign in to follow this  
Keepyourheadup

Here we go

Logan Erdman TF Pointer in 2nd. 15-0. Impressive.

Logan Erdman in the finals was impressive. He used the same move 6 times in a row in less than 1:30 to score all 15 points and earn the tech.

Opinions? Should the leg lock have had to be removed since it was the major part of the combination? To continue to score on the same pin combo you have to fully release that combination. I have talked with several people on that issue . Just curious !

Congrats to Erdman a crafty and deserved win first of All .

I WAS A BIT SURPRISED AS I THOUGH IT WOULD BE CONSIDERED THE SAME MOVE , I THOUGH THE REFS BLEW THE CALL ON THAT AS THE LEGS WERE TRAPPED /LOCKED UP AND IT WAS THE SAME MOVE BASICALLY OVER AND OVER EITHER WAY IT WAS VERY SKILLFULLY EXECUTED AND ERDMAN WAS THE BETTER WRESTLER .

Zane Brown may be one of the most polished 8th Graders I have ever seen, this kid will be a legend

he was really really impressive both days and will be back in the finals several times in his career but David Carr still remains the most polished middle schooler I have ever seen in person.

HATED SEEING RAYNEL GO OUT I WATCHED HIS MATCH AND NO DISRESPECT TO HIS OPPONENT I THOUGH HE STALLED MOST OF THE MATCH I KNOW HEAVY ARE PUSHING BUT YOU STILL HAVE TO TRY AND SCORE , SAD TO SAY THOUGH IT CAME DOWN TO AN ESCAPE AND Raynel just didn't get out still think he should have won the match if it had been called right at least in my opinion , no blasting the refs who may need a bit of a refresher course on what IS STALLING AND WHAT IS NOT .

I returned to my first state tournament this year since I was a participant from '08-'11. It was a great time and here some of my parting thoughts:

-Very pleased how quickly and smoothly this tournament was run, the 2 mats added since the Frankfort days really make a huge difference. I do miss being so close to the action in Frankfort, but this is clearly much safer for the wrestlers.

-Another Ervin, another state champ. Could you guys stop reproducing and let the rest of the state catch up?  :D

-Zane Brown is and will be a stud for years to come. I was very impressed by him nearly winning it all against a tough Sheffer. Anybody know if he'll be sticking around at Male for high school?

-Erdman was clearly the best wrestler and 126 and looked dominant, but I did have the same question as many about having to release the hold before going back for more near fall

-I felt like the pushout/fleeing the mat rule was used very inconsistently, with Bindner ultimately losing the finals from two close calls while I watched other wrestlers run right out of bounds and nothing.

-138 was an awesome weight to watch, lots of talent all around. Leak and Vasquez both wrestled phenomenal tournaments, its too bad only one could take home the gold.

-Blanton wrestled the smarter match and deserved the win. Stop whining and basically asking for a kid to win a title solely on an escape and stalling points

-What are they feeding Tyler Frankrone?

-It was awesome to see the transformation of Fern Creek from 2011 when I graduated to now. Congrats to their coaches and wrestlers on a hard earned state title. On the flip side it was sad for me too see the downturn my own Eastern Eagles have taken the last few years.

THANKS NO OX AUSTIN WRESTLED A PERFECT TOURNAMENT I THOUGHT HE WRESTLED HARD AND SMART TILL THE END , TOUGH KID IN FINALS HE WRESTLED NOT TO GET pinned or teched and probably has a title in his future , I think a couple kids wrestled him not to lose by a lot instead of to win Austin did not risk any tilts or anything remotely dangerous in finals as it appeared when he ran tilts earlier refs seemed to look for a Def pin .

And a heads up when your on bottom and a kid is running a pump handle and you squeeze your legs together and cross your feet to trap his hands that is not an attempt to escape or improve your position lol , Great kid anyway and congrats to him for making finals and I enjoyed talking to his dad .

Now for some fun ,a message to some fans of a sr 220 if you think Austin is so overrated send your boy to NHSCA again or central regionals .and if your lucky enough to make it to him which you never did before have your kid wear sunglasses so the lights do not hurt his eyes so much when he is looking up at them while the ref is smacking mat.

HATED SEEING RAYNEL GO OUT I WATCHED HIS MATCH AND NO DISRESPECT TO HIS OPPONENT I THOUGH HE STALLED MOST OF THE MATCH I KNOW HEAVY ARE PUSHING BUT YOU STILL HAVE TO TRY AND SCORE , SAD TO SAY THOUGH IT CAME DOWN TO AN ESCAPE AND Raynel just didn't get out still think he should have won the match if it had been called right at least in my opinion , no blasting the refs who may need a bit of a refresher course on what IS STALLING AND WHAT IS NOT .

I talked to many coaches about stalling this year. In the past it seems like they went overboard at state. Now it's like they got tired of complaints and went the total opposite. Many matches I saw the refs would simply not call it no matter what

Opinions? Should the leg lock have had to be removed since it was the major part of the combination? To continue to score on the same pin combo you have to fully release that combination. I have talked with several people on that issue . Just curious !

If you are riding legs, throw a power half, get the 5 count for 3 NF, roll over let the power half go, but the boots are still in, you get your 3NF correct?  You are able to power half again I believe for a new count.  You do not have to remove the boots to start over.  Almost seems like the same type of situation I'm thinking.  Could say the same thing with a turk also.

Ultimately I think it could come down to a judgement call from the stripes and their own interpretation, however I think the right call was made.  Logan is super slick on top, Kudos to him. 

Some observations from the tournament.

This was my first Kentucky State Tournament.  I saw a lot of really good things, and a couple things that could make it even better.  I do not know if the tournament was ran differently considering the 3 week extension as well as being during the week. 

1- The first day was loooooong and rough.  There is plenty of room for 8 mats there.  Help save some time and provide a break for these wrestlers, coaches, parents, fans, etc.....  2 more mats would cut out approx: 2 hours.  Also- put matches on deck mat side rather than behind the staging area waiting to be called.  Wrestling started at 10am and ended just before 10pm.  Speaking in numbers here, 30 seconds down time between each match (just a quick average from kids walking to mats getting ready etc...) Approx 550 matches 1st day.  Just another quick average, matches on deck matside with a downtime of 15 seconds.  The difference between the 2 is 15 seconds (cut in 1/2), so 15 seconds for 550 matches is 137.50 mintues.  Another quick way to save 2 hours (even without adding 2 more mats).  Now the downtime was just a rudimentary number, I'm sure the actual down time could vary.  However putting matches on deck could definitely save time.  12 hours in a gym non stop can be extremely long for everyone involved.  Allow the people to leave, grab some food, get outside, FRESH AIR, etc.....  Local restaurants would prosper, the surrounding area, etc...

2- Definitely against being in the horse park.  I was clogged up 20 minutes after arriving.  Fellow coach had to remove contacts because they clouded up.  Saw a number of kids having to use inhalers etc.  I have seen many posts regarding this, it's a shame in my opinion that this special tournament has to be held here.  The Arena is a nice facility, it is just not meant to hold a wrestling tournament.  Unfortunate for sure.  (Rumor has it, Youth will be moving to a new facility that is the same size and a cheaper venue.  Maybe the KHSAA can look at doing the same?) 

Those were the only bad things if you really want to consider them "bad". 

3- LOVED LOVED LOVED all the team and school spirit during this tournament.  To see all the banners, pictures, flags, everything, that is a great thing!  I could only imagine how much better it would have been if it were held on a weekend rather than during the week.  Definitely strong support from family and friends throughout and that is a great thing for this sport. 

4- I really liked how finals were ran, the parade, the announcement/face offs, single mat, etc.  Finals were done well.  It would be cool if they did it in the center, and maybe even had a stage to elevate them up on.  Plenty of time to put in a quick stage for the mats if there were breaks in between (see earlier comments!)

All in all, I had a great time these past few days.  Lots of good wrestling, lots of good matches.  Congrats to everyone who participated.  Is it next season yet?

he was really really impressive both days and will be back in the finals several times in his career but David Carr still remains the most polished middle schooler I have ever seen in person.

Don't forget Kyle Lawson and Mark Hall. David Carr is an outstanding wrestler, but he's no Mark Hall. That said, Zane Brown is a remarkable young talent and I'm excited to see his career develop.

Carr is a nationally ranked freshman so that's probably a good answer haha

I want to say their were many shocking and strong moments, but what I've gathered outside of wrestling in high school and college but from the fight world,is anyone can be beat,everyone has a hole in their game or can have a bad day,thats the best part about competition!

I try to coach to anyone who has trained under me RANKINGS are based on either theory,politics or a educated guess, and being a state champion doesn't always mean the next state tournament they will win, so yes their was some moments of many who I thought shouldve made it more far but didnt, and people who did make it had me scratching my head on how they made it that far.

I thought it was impressive that Alternates that made it in were no longer squeakers even if it was briefly, I found it even more shocking that on the 2nd day their were kids left that were wrestling like it was their first year of wrestling ever, but it would mean they had to win 2-3 matches to get to the 2nd day at state.

I've seen many tough middle schoolers come through here, straight out the box I think Mark Hall though he lost in the finals to a sharp bradbury HE WAS IN 7TH GRADE ,the victory doesnt always guarantee who is #1, considering the quality of people who came before that #1 was there,so the topic is always debatable 

Brock Ervin, Harrison Courtney, and Joe Carr Jr and David Carr all great middle schoolers who came through, I'm a big time Zane Brown fan(I've known him longer then the wrestling community alone from the BJJ world), I'd be biased if I put him 1st before all of them, but I also got to put in perspective he was on a opposite side of the bracket,it wouldve been nice to see him go through them on the way into the finals.

2 Moore Wrestlers making it to the finals is BIG TOO ,they didnt win but the fact is that team and coach is highly underrated and deserve some acknowledgement

Male in a very young year of being a team in KY looked sharp in the State Tournament

Iroquois High School taking a kid into the finals was impressive too,pure athlete

It was nice to finally see Austin Myers, it was my first time seeing him,hes built like a grown man, I'm biased on Campbell County's 2004 team being their best,but hes by far the MOW for sure, I wouldve loved so much to see him against 3xtimer Richard Starks from Woodford and 3xtimer Taylor Scherer from South Oldham, I'm going to call it now, I didnt know he was a Greco All American and Champion, I think he wouldve won these matchups someway somehow!

Doss Heavyweight definetly had some stalling against Ray from Union but the fact is the Doss Heavyweight had to work his butt off to get to that match ,noone is bringing up the kids who couldnt work off bottom against Myers, and it felt like they were stalling to not get pinned.

Aj Binder making it to the finals is in no way a shocker, I had Keegan Duncan winning that one regardless of the fleeing the mat which he did do, AJ is a hard working kid,he was around before Keegan Duncan started and he won his first middle school state title at a young age, I have AJ winning state next year

I'm not too favorable on Jorges weight class though it brings many tough contenders,the weight class is not the same since Rusty Parks,Coty Lewis,Caleb Wood and Kyle Ruschelle passed it but awesome taking his 2nd home

Fern Creek winning state as a team but taking 5th in State Duals, YES they came in a squeaker,I think they turned things around pretty good this year

I expected more out of a handful of kids but its almost like the NCAA Basketball Brackets, noone can really predict it,it just happens!!

I would love to see State leave the Horse Park in Lexington and Venture Louisville and its quality arenas it has, even Rupp Arena in Lex wouldnt be bad

PS if your a parent who yells at the table workers , try to remember they are not focusing on the match if you are trying to get your vent in regardless of right or wrong ,your making a small mistake into a bigger one because they arent watching the official and trust me the official gets pissed at the table when the table isnt watching the officials back or doing what they are expected to do.

I saw a few coaches during the matches screaming at the clock to change the score instead of focusing on the wrestlers  out in the middle,we can justify right or wrong all day but it creates more problems

YEP , EVERYTHING IS A BIT HECTIC WITH STATE YESTERDAY Dap Dan sun and Border Brawl Tues , still kind of surprised their 220 ranked guy isn't wrestling but with the 5 lbs and day before weigh in I guess they need to try to win at all costs .

NOTE TO ANYONE LISTENING , Never tell a kid any match doesn't mean anything .particularly AUSTIN he will do his best to win them both regardless of scheduling training traveling or whatever issues .

Flo will have coverage of both I believe .

AUSTIN IS A GOOD GOOD HEARTED KID GOES TO CHURCH TRAINS HIS BUTT OF HELPS HIS FRIENDS DOESNT PRANK TO MANY PEOPLE VERY OFTEN, LIKE TO SEE HIM WIN A BIG ONE FOR THE UNDERDOGS.

• Downvote 1

YEP , EVERYTHING IS A BIT HECTIC WITH STATE YESTERDAY Dap Dan sun and Border Brawl Tues , still kind of surprised their 220 ranked guy isn't wrestling but with the 5 lbs and day before weigh in I guess they need to try to win at all costs .

NOTE TO ANYONE LISTENING , Never tell a kid any match doesn't mean anything .particularly AUSTIN he will do his best to win them both regardless of scheduling training traveling or whatever issues .

Flo will have coverage of both I believe .

AUSTIN IS A GOOD GOOD HEARTED KID GOES TO CHURCH TRAINS HIS BUTT OF HELPS HIS FRIENDS DOESNT PRANK TO MANY PEOPLE VERY OFTEN, LIKE TO SEE HIM WIN A BIG ONE FOR THE UNDERDOGS.

I wish PA's top 220 would wrestle ATM but sadly only seniors can go to Dapper Dan.

PA HAD ANOTHER 220 WHO IS RANKED IN THE TOP 20 NATIONALLY AND WON STATE and is a sr SOME PA FOLK ARE A BIT MAD HE DID NOT GET THE NOD BUT THEY ARE OUT TO WIN SO THEY DO WHAT THEY CAN TO GET AN EDGE .

And have No fear Austin runs from No one period the one your talking about should be at Fargo where Austin will be just like last year .Let's get this party started boys

Best Quote I heard from the stands:::: While Austin was wrestling in the finals I heard one kid ask "Who practices with him"  another kid said. "I know," " They have the HULK dropped off every day during practice".  

Sign in to follow this