Sign in to follow this  
takedown wins

New Rule

I just found out that the days of running duals or tournaments with wall to wall mats in a gym seem to be over. The new rule states that the mats have to be 10 feet apart with the score table 10 feet past the mat. To my understanding this is to start this year. I know most teams use these events to fund their season and it would seem that this would end big events or at least make them last much longer because of using less mats... I don't like this rule at all.

What happens at State duals?

What about WCI (very small gym) and they have the mats running up the bleachers there?

If I'm not mistaken this has always been the rule.  The 10 feet between mats would mean the inbound circle.  Every mat is different in how much mat is after the out of bounds.  The score table were always suppose to be 10 feet away from mat also.  

I'm not sure this is new, just a point of emphasis.  

This will change the way tournaments are set up. For example, no more taking the extra pieces off of dollamur or ez flex mats and just having the circle bump up against other mats. An example of what cannot happen anymore is below and this was in my gym.

post-20595-0-44761700-1416413467_thumb.j

I have not reviewed the updated 2014-15 Rules Publication, but I found the included link online, which is the interpretation from the IHSAA (Iowa High School Athletic Association) of the NFHS rules, according to how it is written it seems the picture of Male's mat layout would be legal.

http://iawrestle.com/2014/11/03/reminder-safety-mat-area-surrounding-wrestling-mats/

It claims the out-of-bounds Circle separation to be 5' from each other and any wall, while the Scorer Table/Team Benches should be 10' away from Circle.

Comments?

I have not reviewed the updated 2014-15 Rules Publication, but I found the included link online, which is the interpretation from the IHSAA (Iowa High School Athletic Association) of the NFHS rules, according to how it is written it seems the picture of Male's mat layout would be legal.

http://iawrestle.com/2014/11/03/reminder-safety-mat-area-surrounding-wrestling-mats/

It claims the out-of-bounds Circle separation to be 5' from each other and any wall, while the Scorer Table/Team Benches should be 10' away from Circle.

Comments?

this was my interpretation of the rule too.   

I would ask Mike Barren at the KHSAA before referring to other state's interpretations of the rule. Ill ask but I think I know what he will say.

I sent Mike Barren an email with the above picture. His response is that it is now illegal to have that set up. Mats need be 10 feet apart. I asked if is that is from circle to circle or edge to edge. He said he would clarify with Julian Tackett and email all coaches.

What other answer would you expect out of Mike Barren? Wrestling granted any favorable rule from KHSAA would blow my mind! Safety seems to be their canned response to everything. Coach McCoy's set up looks more than adequate....2 mat tourney sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck WCI!

What other answer would you expect out of Mike Barren? Wrestling granted any favorable rule from KHSAA would blow my mind! Safety seems to be their canned response to everything. Coach McCoy's set up looks more than adequate....2 mat tourney sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck WCI!

Remember this is an NFHS rule....not a KHSAA rule.

Rule 2 Section 1 ART. 5 "The mat area includes the wrestling mat and a space of at least 10 feet surrounding the mat as well as the team benches and scorers table where facilities permit."

Rule 2 Section 2 ART. 1 "For dual meets all team personnel, including coaches, other than actual participating contestants shall be restricted to an area which is at least 10 feel from the edge of the mat and the scorer's table where facilities permit"

Rule 2 Section 2 ART. 2 "...coaches shall be seated at least 10 feet from the scorer's table where facilities permit"

Rule 2 Section 3 "A scorer's table shall be placed at least 10 feet from the edge of the mat and from the team benches areas, where facilities permit"

It seems like the common phrase "where facilities permit" makes this rule a little vague. There are pictures to help interpret the rule in the NFHS Wrestling Rules book however if your facility does not permit I guess you just go on as usual. 

In the words of Aaron Rodgers.....Relax. Clarification is coming. And remember, this was not done to penalize wrestling. It was made a point of emphasis for safety.

After reading Mike Barrens Blog post about the mats, I have attached a picture that will help explain what I interpret it to be.

The setup I used at Male is ok in that I have five feet between the wrestling circles.

The area I need to address with my AD is that I do not have enough room from the edge of the circle to the wall. I only have about five feet and need to have about 10 feet for safety.

I hope this helps some.

post-20595-0-82959300-1416597174_thumb.j

Sign in to follow this