Sign in to follow this  
Camel89

KY State Duals at Campbell County

This had to be the biggest joke ever. Campbell County loaded up a team with all their middle school kids and three or four youth wrestlers to fill in for the 8th graders that were to old to wrestle. Then also had a team of all youth wrestlers. That basically got their asses handed to them because,they were wrestling older kids. Accept for a couple coaches I have lost all respect for the Campbell County program. Coach Moore has got to be the biggest joke of all. God help this program when Coach Bandkamper leaves.

This had to be the biggest joke ever. Campbell County loaded up a team with all their middle school kids and three or four youth wrestlers to fill in for the 8th graders that were to old to wrestle. Then also had a team of all youth wrestlers. That basically got their asses handed to them because,they were wrestling older kids. Accept for a couple coaches I have lost all respect for the Campbell County program. Coach Moore has got to be the biggest joke of all. God help this program when Coach Bandkamper leaves.

Middle School kids?  I'm sure baby Moore isn't a Middle School kid.  I'm sure if you look at their middle school roster they are not all 7th and 8th graders.  You may be upset that your wrestler didn't do as well as you would have liked.  The last time I checked middle school is 7th and 8th graders, K-6 is still elementary.  We are just one of the lucky states that allow our YOUTH kids to wrestle middle school.

The ages of the kids could be up to 2001 birth year/12 yr old.  I saw many young kids on CC team, it just may not appear that they are young.  Of course then you look at some of those 4th grade boys that look like they are a 7th grader and all of 13, power-housing on the mat and I can see where some may think they are not young enough, but they are.  Been around for a while in all the programs from youth to high and I didn't see a majority of their middle schoolers on the mats, but I did see several of them working the tables.  Wrestling is a sport where you have to put the time in and I give it to CC and the other programs around  because they have  some very talented kids that are young. 

Yes birth year up to 2001 but you shouldn't have a kid born in 04 or 05 going against a kid born in 01. Nobody gains anything by having the older kids beat up on the younger kids. There is a huge physical and mental difference between a third grader and a sixth grader. This was a bad idea all the way around.

To my understanding that is why none of the other schools showed was because they wanted a strictly youth match with out the middle school aged kids. And sixth grade is considered middle school not just 7 and 8th. It's simple if you wrestle middle school you shouldn't wrestle youth.

I personally think Ranger & the CC guys did a great job!! Wish all the teams that said they were coming would have came.

Why would the CC crew loss respect? The busted there ass setting this tourny up & then half the teams didn't show up, why because they didn't think there kids would win ?

if u want your wrestlers to get better u need to bring to wrestle kids that make them better not shy away from high level competition.

Awesome job Ranger & CC crew u have my respect!!

Yes birth year up to 2001 but you shouldn't have a kid born in 04 or 05 going against a kid born in 01. Nobody gains anything by having the older kids beat up on the younger kids. There is a huge physical and mental difference between a third grader and a sixth grader. This was a bad idea all the way around.

To my understanding that is why none of the other schools showed was because they wanted a strictly youth match with out the middle school aged kids. And sixth grade is considered middle school not just 7 and 8th. It's simple if you wrestle middle school you shouldn't wrestle youth.

Put your name on it!!

If you do a little research you will find that most of your youth duels are K-6.  Maybe you should have done a little research before you entered this tournament for your kid.  Maybe you should have found a Novice tournament for your little Johnny and he could have came home with a first place medal.  If you want your kid to advance he/she will have to face some of the best our state has to offer.  Thank you Ranger for putting this together for us.

I personally liked the idea of putting this together. I was told it was a great day of wrestling. I am sure all the teams that attended we fully aware of the ages that could participate.

Wrestling older kids is a part of wrestling. There a quite a few 4th and 5th graders wrestling middle school. Those kids will have to face 7th and 8th graders any given week. I say if a parent feels like this is to much of a disadvantage I can tell you it happends all the way through high school. I have an 8th grader who has wrestled multiple jr and seniors this year. If I felt like he could not compete or had a chance to get hurt I wouldn't let him compete. Since I don't mind him competing against older kids I'm sure not going to complain about the age difference if he loses.

Glad to see youth trying to do some different things to create tough competition for our youth wrestlers.

• Upvote 2

If it was so well put together and such a good idea then why did only three schools show up? I was told by more than one person none of the other local schools came because of the format.

As far as my son he did just fine today but that doesn't make it right. Every other event for youth wrestling is separated by ages why should this be any different? Using your logic at state this year they should take all the kids group them by weight and let them go at it. No age brackets. What do mean by put my name on it?

If it was so well put together and such a good idea then why did only three schools show up? I was told by more than one person none of the other local schools came because of the format.

As far as my son he did just fine today but that doesn't make it right. Every other event for youth wrestling is separated by ages why should this be any different? Using your logic at state this year they should take all the kids group them by weight and let them go at it. No age brackets. What do mean by put my name on it?

You are comparing a bracket tournament to a duel.  They are two totally different animals.  I'm getting on my soap box about our state tournament.

Pretty simple and staight forward. You make a bold statement, and call a specific individual out. So.... Put your name on it!!!

• Upvote 1

All duals tournaments operate this way. National duals will be the same. I wish we could have attended, but we just don't have the numbers at the youth level. My son is a 60 pound 5th grader. In our youth program, the next closest kid to his size is only a second grader. I would imagine that most teams around the state dont have a 60 pounder his age. He would be older than the kids he would face in a youth dual, but that's not against the rules.

He rarely wrestles kids his own age or size. He always wrestles up except at nationals. He has wrestled MS 70 all year, sometimes even 75. It's all part of seeking the best competition.

What is the age/grade limitation on youth events? I've heard 12 years old and 6th grade. Haven't some 7th grade 12 year olds competed before? Just curious as to the actual rule.

Here is the eligibility statement listed on Northern KY's youth region handout.

ELGIBILITY: All entries must have a current, valid USA Wrestling card. Must be 12 years old or under as of 1/1/14. All entries must have

As someone who was there yesterday and who had a child wrestling, I have to say that I agree with the original poster.  Yesterday was a joke.  CC brought a majority of their middle school team, which is fine, if they are wrestling kids that have the same amount of experience and are similar in size.  The actual youth that were involved in this tournament did get their asses handed to them and it was wrong and extremely discouraging for not only the kids but for the parents as well.  I know from talking to some of the parents that there was a 2nd grade, 1st year wrestler who wrestled a 12 year old who had 6 years of experience.  Where and why would anyone find this acceptable?  How in the world would anyone expect that to be a fair match?  There were several wrestlers from CC and from SK would were wrestling kids they should have never been paired up with.  I get it, it's all based off of weight, but there is a difference between a 2nd grader who weighs 96 pounds and is 4'8 and a 13 year old who weights 96 pounds and is 5'4.  There were MANY unhappy parents and coaches that were involved in this and to be honest, for duals next year my kid won't be signed up for it.  I understand that every match they can't be paired up with someone who is their exact match in height and weight, and I'm not that kind of parent who automatically screams that things are unfair and poorly ran when their kid doesn't do well,  but lets try to be a little more reasonable here.  And, to boot, the older kids were laughing at these poor younger kids coming out onto the mat to wrestle.  As a coach, teach your kids to have some sportsman-like respectable conduct for crying out loud.

I know that anyone who runs one of these puts in a lot of hard work and dedication, and I know the CC Wrestling staff is top notch, but, I just think this made them look like idiots.  Maybe next time they have a "youth" dual, they should just bring their middle school team and let their youth compete with actual youth and not kids almost twice their age and if the match is clearly unfair and you know they are going to get pinned in under 5 seconds....don't even have them wrestle.

The joke is coming on a public forum and trashing your own coaches and event. If you have an issue be respectful and adult enough to have a discussion with the individuals involved. Openly airing your dirty laundry makes the entire program look bad. Why any parent would want to publicly tarnish your program's reputation is beyond me!

But since apparently the original poster feels it needs to be handled publicly, let's add some facts to the discussion.

20 wrestlers were listed on CC purple team roster

-12 of those wrestlers attend elementary school(K-5).

- At this point, they are eligible for any youth tournament anywhere. They are YOUTH wrestlers!

-Of the other 8, 4 of those are 1st year wrestlers and 2 of those only have 2 years experience.

-Of the 8 wrestlers who ARE NOT youth wrestlers, only 2 of those wrestler competed in the Middle School Duals on Satruday. Both are 6th graders.

Coaches discussed the potential for mismatches. I didn't coach yesterday, with the exception of a few matches where CC coaches needed to step away so I can't speak for all of the matches. But I did not see any of the experienced kids try to hurt of hiliate any less experienced kids.

Really is sort of funny to hear this mismatch concern. When we talk about it at the state tournament and not allowing the top ms kids to participate there is always a group that think it is great for these less experienced kids have the "opportunity" to wrestle a ms state champ.

As the father of a kid that wrestled much older and stronger kids his entire career because of his size I feel that I have an opinion based on living this experience. It was extremely difficult as a parent to watch your son get hammered daily for 4 years but he and I kept our mouths shut and stuck with it. He started having more success about three years ago until this year his hard work has paid off and he is now hammering instead of getting hammered. Wrestling is a long hard road, you cannot get caught up in the snapshots along the way.

• Upvote 1

Neverdid -  you are absolutely right.  It's a long hard road for sure and having been it this for a while with a couple of kids, it's easy to get caught up in it for sure.  CC is always a great host, they have stellar coaches and are known for a great program and personally my kids have never had issues with anyone from their team or staff.  Yesterday just seemed a bit hard to watch for all of our little guys and some of theirs.

Neverdid - you are absolutely right. It's a long hard road for sure and having been it this for a while with a couple of kids, it's easy to get caught up in it for sure. CC is always a great host, they have stellar coaches and are known for a great program and personally my kids have never had issues with anyone from their team or staff. Yesterday just seemed a bit hard to watch for all of our little guys and some of theirs.

As a SKY parent maybe you should talk to the person who entered and paid for your team to compete. He knew exactly the format and likely team makeup for this event. I can't speak for Shamrock or Team Spatola, but the so-called Campbell County middle school team was made up of 17 youth aged kids. In fact only 1 kid under 140 was born before 2002, so they are virtually all less than 12 and will be youth eligible next season. And the 4 total kids born in 2001 have very, very limited wrestling experience.

This was a youth dual! U take wrestlers that r youth eligible & match them by weigh & the wrestle, thats it plain & simple. Reguardless if U like it or not u the parent signed your child up for a youth dual & thats is what they wrestled in yesterday a Youth Dual.

Youth duals are regularthing in surrounding states like OH, MI, & PA & yesterday there where some

miss matches it is part of it, that doesn't mean u have to call people out because u didnt know what u put your child into