Sign in to follow this  
bocowrestling

Observations From High School State - Positive and Negative

1.  Alltech is the only place to hold that event.  Great parking, great location, great facility.  Only complaint is that we were not allowed to use extension cords and tripods.  It is not smart to piss off a nervous parent for no reason.  For $25, I should be able to plug whatever I want into whatever I want.  Also, for purposes of updating fans at home, it would be nice to have wi-fi in the building.  

2.  Wish there was some way to hold middle school state at Alltech too.  Maybe ms state should be on Thursday (ms kids do not need to compete at state anyway, unless you just want to give more ohio kids practice)  

2.  Region and State Medals are the size of quarters.  That is ridiculous and those medals should reflect these kids achievements.  When Mountain Dew costs $3 you would think they would pay that much for a medal.  

3.  Of all the state events I have been to, Wrestling State is by far the best.  

4.  Nothing beats ihigh coverage.  I would like to see coverage extended to cover 3rd/4th rounds at least.  We had a number of people watching the event in town even though we did not have a kid in the finals.  We told them them we were wearing the green singlets with X's on them.  Everyone thought we did great.    

5.  Why don't tv channels cover this event?  That is ridiculous.  If you want to sign a damn petition, sign one to send to WKYT.

6.  Bad behavior should be punished.  There is no excuse for not taking team points when a wrestler acts horribly in the biggest event of the year.  Don't tell me about stress.  There weren't any kids out there that were not under tremendous stress.  Is there a double standard for a team competing for the overall title, and just another team that participates at the event.  I'll leave it at that so I don't draw a grammatically challenged response that obscures the rest of the post.

7.  Last observation:  Where do we go get an Ohio wrestler to help us get some team points.  They must be on craigslist or something, because it seems like everyone has one.  

No Ohio kids at ST X. last time I checked. Moral of the story... home grown Kentucky boys can get it done. GO TIGERS!!!

That is funny coming from a private school.

Really surprised that they still insist on making the finals so dark.  Turning the house lights off is fine but just that middle strip of lights over the center mat is really kind of silly.  Having the arena that dark adds nothing.  I thought last year was a mistake and then they go and do it again.  Having the ability to run 6 mats is a nice thing and there is plenty of parking but after that, I see no advantages.  The building is basically a fancy barn.   

You also got a crazy nice ring on your hand and before adding to drama ask your self the chain of events that led to you receiving it , always a well respected Intelligent young man do not change that by bandwagon jumping witch hunting hysteria don't be so two faced or naive as to thin k kids become

Good wrestlers and in doing so help others do the same without a reason , look down at your ring and see me smiling up at you now .

You also got a crazy nice ring on your hand and before adding to drama ask your self the chain of events that led to you receiving it , always a well respected Intelligent young man do not change that by bandwagon jumping witch hunting hysteria don't be so two faced or naive as to thin k kids become

Good wrestlers and in doing so help others do the same without a reason , look down at your ring and see me smiling up at you now .

I agree it is just a fancy barn. 

If your not going to give at least one set of brackets out, then there needs to be free wi fi available, or at least a place where you can look at the brackets on a TV screen.   Parents and fans like to know what bout number their little johnny will be. And poor souls like myself cant afford to get one of those fancy dance i-whatever and have wi fi attached to it.

Medels should be something to be proud of.  When I saw the region medals I thought it was a joke.  it didn't even have a ribbon to hang on the neck of the wrestler.  The state medal should be gaudy (sp) to represent the hard work each wrestler put into recieveing it.  Not a bottle cap with some words that old guys like me cant even read because its to small.

As for the ohio wrestlers.  It is the only true good excusse that I have heard for keeping middle schoolers from wrestling high school.  We don't want to become a minor league for Ohio middle schoolers. 

As for looking at the ring, well I know at least one who does not wear it and has thought about pawning it a couple of times because it means very little to him. And don't take away the rest of the team that helped earn those rings it was 14 plus high school wrestlers that earned them.  Not coaches, not friends and especially not parents, the wrestlers themselves earned those rings nothing more.  

This coming from a father that screamed in the face of his sons mother it was her fault he lost the match because she bought a two thousand dollar horse. I was setting there and heard the whole thing. You are completely insane. I think you've done one to many cycles of roids because the way you reacted was crazy. I felt very sorry and embarrassed for your wife as did the rest of the Campbell County parents. You truely have no class.

Can we please stop wasting time on daddy Myers. It only adds to his over inflated ego. We all know he is the biggest bonehead in the state. I would prefer talking about things we can change like the sad medals given at state. I also cant believe nothing was said about this being the 50th anniversary of the tournament. The arena is nice but I've heard that the atmosphere at Frankfort is much more fun. Wi fi was horrible and if we want to buy brackets they should sell them. If enough people start speaking up now we can get some changes made but it takes more than a handful. I suggest everyone start a letter or petition at there school.

• Upvote 1

Can we please stop wasting time on daddy Myers. It only adds to his over inflated ego. We all know he is the biggest bonehead in the state. I would prefer talking about things we can change like the sad medals given at state. I also cant believe nothing was said about this being the 50th anniversary of the tournament. The arena is nice but I've heard that the atmosphere at Frankfort is much more fun. Wi fi was horrible and if we want to buy brackets they should sell them. If enough people start speaking up now we can get some changes made but it takes more than a handful. I suggest everyone start a letter or petition at there school.

I could not agree more!

someone else posted on another thread about getting businesses to sponsor the awards. i think that could work provided the KHSAA allows it.

Isn't it The Houchens Industry Girls State Basketball Tournament?

The Horsepark is dirty but I like the space.  I have never be a fan of spending 3 days in a crowed gym.  I enjoy the space it allows you to walk around and spread out a little.  The medals and awards are bad they need to be improved the wrestlers deserve more.

They need to find a way to seed each weight class.  I noticed this year that many weights had unbalanced brackets.  This really comes into play during the team race as well.  Tons of weights were unbalanced 160, 195 come to mind.  For example, a wrestler found himself on the easier side of the bracket (opposite the top 5 ranked wrestlers).  Instead of perhaps losing in the quarterfinals on the tough side he hits the finals getting all those team points for his team in the process why the top ranked wrestlers are forced to go for 5-8th because they knocking each other out.  Not only do the best wrestlers not wrestle in the finals but they cost team points as well. 

I thought the tournament was exciting and very well ran. Good job to all wrestlers! 

Getting sponsors should excite the khsaa its more money in their pocket. We are actually looking into this for our school tournaments. Maybe even have the coaches vote on a few different styles

for all of those who think your kids were playing in dirt. It was synthetic Dirt and shredded carpet. They dont use "real" dirt its too harsh on the horses and i am positive u didnt smell cows at a horse park

• Upvote 1

for all of those who think your kids were playing in dirt. It was synthetic Dirt and shredded carpet. They dont use "real" dirt its too harsh on the horses and i am positive u didnt smell cows at a horse park

My favorite post in atleast a month!

• Upvote 1

Ive seen tournaments sell sponsorship for each weight class. They get an ad in the program and a sign by the podium during the medal ceremony. I believe maybe tournament of champs does this or super 32? I spoke to tourney director and it was pretty easy to find 14 business to sponsor each weight class. So they could afford top notch awards.