Sign in to follow this  
purpleandgold

Lawson Brothers

This practice of holding kids back is becoming the norm for football players.  One more year to grow, lift, train etc.  Almost all the high level D-1 prospects are 19 yrs old when they step on college campus not 18, and are usually turning 20 in that first two semesters.

Basketball is exactly the opposite at the highest levels. Nerlens Noel, who played for UK before his ACL tear, skipped a grade to get to college earlier to get to NBA earlier, Andrew Wiggins (#1 player in America class of '14) is doing the same thing next year.  They reclassify before their Junior seasons to graduate early.

No he was only held back once, if he was held back twice he would be unable to compete in wrestling his senior year (see Freddie Rodriguez)

Sorry dude pretty sure he was held back twice before he went to high school.

I remember when they interviewed Mark's dad on intermat after he win state at Apple Valley he said Mark would've graduated at 17 if he didn't hold him back. So did he lie about his age or did Mark start school early? If he was held back twice then he would be in eligible his senior year. You can't wrestle at the high school level if you are 20

Is there a rule in place by KHSAA limiting the age of a participant in the state tournament regardless of grade? For example, Can a 19 or 20 year old senior wrestle in the tournament? Has this ever happened?

Is there a rule in place by KHSAA limiting the age of a participant in the state tournament regardless of grade? For example, Can a 19 or 20 year old senior wrestle in the tournament? Has this ever happened?

There is a rule, its online in the bylaws but I can't quote it.

There is a rule, its online in the bylaws but I can't quote it.

I believe if you turn 19 before aug 1 you are ineligible for all sports that year

I always heard if you turned 19 before April 1st of whichever school year, then you will be ineligible. But if your birthday is say April 5, that means you will be 19 about a month after season ends. And I know what he means saying he will graduate at 17 if not for a hold back. My youngest son was born is September. He would be able to start kindergarten at the age of four, and graduate high school four months before his 18th birthday. Or I could wait a year, and start him at age 5. He would then graduate at age 18. I plan on doing the latter, however, I would not be able to hold him back once during during his school years, or he would be ineligible his senior year. People have theories and claim to know everything about everyone's age. The only time mark ever got held back was when he repeated the 7th grade. He will conclude his senior year of wrestling at age 18.

Unless you forge a birth cerificate, these theories some of you guys come up with are soooo off the wall. Parents that do hold their kids back are smart enough to look at their eligibility requirements. Theyre not going to risk having their kid miss their whole senior year of sports

From the KHSAA Handbook bylaw 3.  Basically, you can't be 16 before August 1st of your freshman year.

BYLAW 3. AGE

Sec. 1) Age Restriction

Pursuant to KRS 156.070 (2) (e), a student who becomes nineteen

(19) years old before August 1 shall be ineligible for interscholastic

athletic competition. A student who becomes nineteen (19) on or

after August 1 shall remain eligible for the entire school year.

Sec. 2) Waiver Provision

The Ruling Officer and the Commissioner may waive the provisions

of this bylaw and the student shall be eligible for high school

athletics in Kentucky if the written documentation is provided to

clearly demonstrate that the student:

a) Qualified for exceptional children services and had an individual

education program developed by an admissions and release

committee (ARC) while the student was enrolled in the primary

school program;

Was retained in the primary school program because of an ARC

committee recommendation; and

c) Has not completed four (4) consecutive years or eight (8)

consecutive semesters of eligibility following initial promotion

from grade eight (8) to grade nine (9).

The Ruling Officer and the Commissioner shall not adopt

administrative procedures that allow for waiver of this rule under

any other condition.

Mark Hall's birthday is 1/11/1997. He will start his senior year 18 years old and will turn 19 before the state tournament. He's got the perfect birthday to "redshirt"....well within the rules of every state.

Mark Hall's birthday is 1/11/1997. He will start his senior year 18 years old and will turn 19 before the state tournament. He's got the perfect birthday to "redshirt"....well within the rules of every state.

I was close lol. Btw, what a phenom

I stand corrected.