Sign in to follow this  
ManBearPig

favorite wrestler you have ever watched and why?

mine is prob coty lewis when he actually wanted to wrestle, at WCI one year i watched him injure his lead leg ankle pretty bad and switch stances and still dominate a kid

There have been so many great wrestlers over the years. I really enjoy watching the current wrestlers we have in the great state of ky. There are a ton of high school wrestlers that are very entertaining to watch. I would have to say brock ervin, stephen and austin myers would be three of my favorites. Brock and stephen due to their funk. They are so quick they have a tendency to make there opponent look confused and timid during the match. Austin is a different beast all together. He is probably one of the strongest high school wrestlers I have seen. Not to mention his athletic ability. He moves like he is a 160. I think the big boys aren't use to defending what he brings at them. If anybody remembers frank wolzinek from holmes he had the same quickness for a big man. Normally I prefer watching the lighter weights but these guys are fun to watch. There are also some young guys that are fun to watch. Spencer moore,blake roth,bryce scheffer,logan erdman, dallas miles. I know it would be easy to name sanderson,burroughs,taylor,etc. But I figured I would talk about the talent we have here in ky.

Ian Horn from Woodford was one of my favorites to watch. He seemed to be having fun the entire time he wrestled. Of cource being a 3Xer probably is fun.

Walnitzek was a great big man to watch in his time. I heard a story that his Sophmore year after the state toureny one of his teachers asked him how it went he said not so good I didn't place. He told the teacher I'm not going to lose again. He didn't the next 2 years.

That was the story I heard not sure if it was true, but a fun story.

Brock was very fun to watch because i had never seen him wrestle before the State tournament and he lived up to his billing Jayce and him share a little of the same style i think they seem to flow like water they are fun to watch of course i like watching Stephen i have seen him suffer and work for years and seen what he can do when hes on and its still unreal to me , he has some signature moves but has an arsenal and he even surprises me i can never tell what he is going to do on his feet ,I liked Ty Mitch in Ohio he flowed like that and made good wrestlers look like beginners at times Bo of course is a juggernaut and i liked Kyle Ryan from Graham for different reasons ,this kid always looked like he was going through a war he had to be one of the most beat up wrestlers i have ever seen day in and out you could tell he suffered his ass off busted ears black eyes emaciated look and still he fought on and battled every time you saw him and then usually every time you would see him knowing he was beat down horribly he would look at you and say hey give you a nod and a smile that reminded you of a little child it just made you want him to beat everyone he faced ,He loved the motto suffer and win not many people understand what goes on at a room like Jordans day after day not many can even comprehend the effort and he looked and from what i could always tell no one gave more than him .

Thanks for the compliments Dutch Austin is a different type of creature he doesn't seem to have the talent of a Brock or Stephen but he is a methodical type of person who will do whatever it takes he would have thrived at St Paris Graham he is a worker on their level and whatever talent he may or may not have to equal some of the others he makes up for in willingness to work learn and train ,as well as a genetic propensity and desire to be one powerful and knowledgable individual ,He and i both admired Max Thomuseit from Graham he was a powerhouse but without bragging i think Austin will surpass his idol ,You dont get the flash and Flair of some of the lighter guys and it has always seemed like he was in the shadows but when you win a state title the first year you ever wrestle you have a future in the sport ,sometimes hes funner to watch because you know what he is doing good position and a shot and reshot and basics you know are coming but can you stop it and then there is a few things he will do that you might not see from bigger kids inside trips and blast standups ,it comes from wrestling a brother who does that to you .

Having kids coming up in Ohio there were a lot of good wrestlers to watch pretty cool going to Jordans being in the room a lot with David Taylor ,going to state and watching the Monroeville kids wrestle ,I loved Watching Lance Palmer at Ohio State he was jacked up talented he looked like a bigger version of Bruce lee with that kind of funk awesome stuff ,

I always heard how Cocky Felipe Martinez was and i did see him do some outrageous stuff but in a room of studs and egos amongst his own teammates he never hesitated to come up to Stephen or Austin and tell him how good he did on a good day even against graham kids ,very impressive and if your cocky and back it up its all Good and he did he was probably the most feared wrestler in JrHigh of all time in ohio except maybe Taylor but probably even more so because Felipe would announce to everyone he was going to embarass you and it would send fear through the whole wrestling community it was hillarious Stephen did it in grade school his sixth grade yr but it was through his actions not words he was on an insane roll ,.

Felipe beat kids before they even got to the tournament i swear i saw him just make a slight move and kids would sprawl and fall and nearly trip over themselves not even a good fake and kids would be looking like uncoordinated beginners falling over their own feet and these were some of the best kids in the state .I was in the lobby well after midnight the night before JrHigh states on year and he and his friends came strolling in like they had been out on the town tying one on and i thought this kid has to wrestle for a state title tomorrow ,other kids had sayed their wrestling prayers and hit the hay many hours ago and this kid knew he had it in the bag ,it wasnt something i would advise or even liked but i had to laugh i thought for a minute hes going to get beat but then i remembered nahh this is Felipe i had seen him in the room many many times and there was no chance all his work had been done ,still not my type of thinking but it was neat in a way ,some kid in the stands at state this year drinking coke and cutting up making his coaches scratch their head because he acted that way all week reminded me of him in a way still not something i care for but what can you do ..

I have seen Kevin compete since he was a little guy he is a worker a scrapper much like Kyle Ryan he has the look of a warrior the same bashed up features as some of the others kids like him and Stephen earn those smashed noses LOL i loved those little guys who would shoot in and not release the leg as youth wrestlers no matter how badly they got cross faced that is where that comes from i believe Stephen Kevin and that Henderson Guy all have that look LOL modern day Warriors .

Olympic Wrestling there is no doubt Cael and Boroughs was awesome but Alexander Karelin was unbelievable watching him wrestle Rulon "whom i have met and thought was an awesome person very down to earth type of guy who tells it how it is even to the kids "you had to admire him even more if you understand sports and adversity look at those old pics or watch those matches his last yr he had a severly torn pec and still made it to the olympics and the medal rounds i have seen old pics of him in top shape the guy was a beast he could have been a gazillionaire in Pro wrestling hes a legend you could only imagine if he had been an American .

You cannot have one favorite wrestler its like saying you have a favorite boob theres just too many ...................... ;)

I liked the guys that attack on the whistle and never let up, a few that come to mind are:

Derek Scott, Jacob Murton, Jairus Murton, Richard Starks, Brock Ervin

Didnt seem like much strategy involved in their wrestling just all out wrestle until someone gets pinned or the ref makes you stop. Sometimes to their advantage sometimes not so much, but none of these guys lost very often, at least not in KY.

Carman Brothers and David Moore and Zarth at Henry Clay

Ian Horn and Joe Carr Jr, Chris Dunn (he dominated this state and pretty much used 2 moves his senior yr, no one could even touch his front headlock)

Josh Whitaker threw anyone he wrestled effortlessly. Even when they knew it was coming. Sick.

Michael Jackson's senior campaign is one of the most dominant in KY history....had some great matches though.

Kevin Case harrison County

Holbrook Campbell County

Livingston Merrit

If your wanting most dominant then it would probably be between Livingston Merrit who just bullied everyone at Hwt. and Curt Zinga who pinned everyone in the 1st period at 160.

I enjoyed watching Jerrod Trice when I was younger and the Merritts. But as far as most dominant in KY history wouldn't that be Joe Jr. I think he only lost maybe 4 matches ever to a native born wrestler.

• Upvote 1

Some of my favorite all time to watch (only on video, never seen em live), the Brands brothers, Dave Schultz and Ken Chertow has some kick axx video out there. Chertow video is really fun to watch. no stalling in these matches.

truth is Mpire not many really cared about those tourney until about 5 years ago in KY. Not even sure many even went. So I would say the number is very very low and only recent.

Heck in my day I'm not even sure they had them, if they did I didn't know about them otherwise I probably would have attended them and got my but whooped by some real studs.

Good question about KY kids at Fargo, a little off topic but interesting. I dont know of any that have finished top 8, a number of them have finished top 16 and very close to AA but would be interested to know as well if any finished top 8. If anyone know of AA's from KY please list.

A few top 16:

Jacob Murton

John Wolsiefer

Ryan Houchens

Kevin Cooper

John Fahy

Coming out of KY to finish top 8 or top 16 is a huge accomplishment. Just not good enough support to train and prepare and expect to finish at the top. Most of the kids listed above that did well spent time in top level camps prior to Fargo.

Steve Kaiser was one match away from placing at Fargo losing a very close match to 3x Ohio state champ and NCAA runner-up Clint Musser in the round of 16. Steve actually tech'd a kid that tech'd Musser earlier in the tournament.

Steve was a late bloomer, but if you consider he was a Senior National All American (placed 4th, but got robbed in the semi's) and one match away from Fargo AA and very competitive at Ohio University, you'd have to throw him in the mix as one of Ky's most accomplished wrestlers. With the coaching staff they've put together at Simon Kenton, it's no surprise how good they are today.

Fargo has been around a while and there isn't really anything else like it its insanely tough you can lose a match and still win the class or beat the champ and not even place it's the nature of the tournament and sport I guess . I think there are a Handful of kids in ky who can place there maybe even double if they focus on it , it is a great recruiting grounds for college and the place to get noticed nationally .Srs sometimes shy away from it I hope that is not the case this next year Kevin Stephen Brock Jayce can all place well out there with work and there are some others who can and could as well shooting for both is the way to go but I have seen kids focus on one style to get an advantage usually free since it is after Greco .multie weigh inns and outs take a toll on the kids endurance is a factor ,

I agree most kids do better at Free becauise its more similar to Folkstyle. I cant remember a KY kid doing well at Greco. Fargo is a great recruiting spot but I think some of the other nationals have really improved the past few year with attendance by wresters and coaches making them more legitimate nationals.

Back to the original topic, Brent Metcalf always fun to watch.

• Upvote 1

I enjoyed watching Jerrod Trice when I was younger and the Merritts. But as far as most dominant in KY history wouldn't that be Joe Jr. I think he only lost maybe 4 matches ever to a native born wrestler.

The thread isn't most dominate wrestler, it is favorite and why. I would have to say he is the most successful and boring champions I have seen. He was just so solid he didn't have to force the action before the other guy made a mistake. Ian Horn on the other hand, very exciting.

I have to disagree Fargo is the ultimate wrestling tournament and I think highly of some of the others but none compare , I see why people would like to think others are comparable but they are not , not NHSCA not flow not 32 not Iron Man or any state tourny , nothing comes close .surprised anyone who had been there would think otherwise . I have seen nearly unbeatable folkstyle state champs never place there in four tries .

I agree Tilt. Ian and Joe were like complete opposites. Joe walked around with the Woodford Swagger of the time (ya know the better than thou attitude) while Ian looked like he enjoyed everyone. Ian may have been one of the only wrestler on the Woodford team during their (Dare I say it) Dynasty that was not ridiculed by the fans. And by ridiculed I mean Booed. It was the Boo-Bird era everyone liked to Boo Woodford.

Yea i agree Fargo is still the best didnt mean it wasnt just that some Nationals have improved and are more legit than than before but still nothing like fargo.

I have to agree, its a meat grinder and still the best attended of all the so called nationals.

Your right about the others as far as gaining i think the expense of going way out there and all the days it takes being gone may play a part in it ,I like NHSCA nationals because they go by grade and it changes things up ,I do not like Flow being on the same day and thats all i will say about it as i love flow but not why they are on the same day .

I want to see a bunch of KY kids in Fargo next year I want mine to place and i want all our kids too place i think some of the studs need to step up and focus on it its a matter of state pride ,either class it doesnt matter bring back some AA s

You are correct. There is no other tournament in the country like Fargo!!

And the reason that is, is because there is literally hundreds of folkstyle "national" tournaments all year round. There is only 1 freestyle and greco roman "national" tournament. And it is in FARGO.!!!