Sign in to follow this  
myGSP

Backflip

The best way not to get celebrated on is to win the match!! To the winner go the spoils! You dont like your opponent celebrating after he beats you? Simple fix, Dont and lose!

Livingston Fatman Merritt was one of the first big boys to do the backflip as a heavyweight. Anybody with that much size that can flip, should do so. I don't think there is anything wrong with celebrating, it takes alot to get to the top, you deserve to have a release when you get there.

• Upvote 1

Wow. PC has gone out of control in our society today. We are so worried about offending someone we can't enjoy our own victories. Before it is over they are not going to allow anyone to know the score of the match or the outcome until they announce the placers on the podium.

As long as you congratulate your opponent and shake his hand what does it matter.

Case in point: When Hitchings won his match he came up with a fist pump, almost his Jarvis. Hitchings quickly stopped told Jarvis he was sorry and gave him a "great match" hug.

i also like watching the coaches when they get excited about the victories. Emotion is part of this sport and what makes it great. This is not a business meeting where you need to be stoic. You've earned it so celebrate, while keeping it sportsman like.

• Upvote 3

I agree with the act like you've been there before attitude, especially from someone who has actually been there before. However I'll bet he was super pumped to wrestle against another state champ in the finals. If Ervin had majored someone who was not on his level I would say he should just pump his fist and go on but Ruschell is a very good wrestler so I'd say let him celebrate his biggest win ever.

Livingston Fatman Merritt was one of the first big boys to do the backflip as a heavyweight. Anybody with that much size that can flip, should do so. I don't think there is anything wrong with celebrating, it takes alot to get to the top, you deserve to have a release when you get there.

What about that 103 pounder from woodford in 1996 who did the backflip after winning and landed on his head? Anybody remember that? Or mason Reid a few years ago, no one complained then. Watch the heavyweight who won high school state in Indiana three years ago do one after he won.

If I'm not mistaken, these happened in the same year, I believe the Woodford kid was Valentine, and after he failed his attempt, there were several others that gave it a shot. There was a St. X kid that did a back handspring, followed by several others that weren't as pretty, and finished by Livingston Merritt at HWT.

Nothing wrong with flipping. There is a line that can be crossed.

There was a kid from Oldham County that "shot something out of the air", looked a lot like he was pumping a shot gun, I loved it, love the emotion. The ref didn't like it as much as I did though, he took a team point.

Let the kids have some emotion. If they didn't have the emotion, they wouldn't care, they wouldn't put in the hard work, and the quality of wrestling wouldn't be improving as it has been.

C'mon the kids need to celebrate. If they have the energy to still do a backflip after the match let them. They are not taunting anyone or singling anyone out. The back flip was a big thing back in the 80's and 90's. (Started with David Ritchie). I also want to point out Joe Carr Sr. doing a backflip after Joe Jr. won.

That was great. Better backflip, Joe Sr or Livingston Merritt??

I would have to say Joe Sr. Just becaue I know he said he had to train all season to be able to do it. How many time do you get to see a 40ish year old, 200ish lb man do a back flip

I would have to say Joe Sr. Just becaue I know he said he had to train all season to be able to do it. How many time do you get to see a 40ish year old, 200ish lb man do a back flip

I saw him with his grandson yesterday. He better start training again.

The backflip can be used as an effective way to get out of a single leg that has been elevated, but it is also very dangerous and is could be showboating. I have used the move in many different ways, the first time I used it was I was just wrestling and did it. I did a couple more times and got comfortable with it so I used it more ofa show boating thing and would let guys grab leg. I first ally use it in an acutaul match in summer tournament and because it was folkstyle rules the ref whistled it dead. But I did hear a lot of ooohs and aaaahs. It's nothing that I Wouk teach a kid to do but sometimes the move is effective, but most of the time it is a dangerous attempt to score. It looks good but wouldn't recommend anyone trying it!! Maybe I'll get to show it off at an open tourney this summer!!!

Not as big a Deal as it used to be its cool to see but I have seen grade schoolers do it and not only hit the flip but snatch a leg and get a td .

As for over celebration ,don't like it , I understand but having kids who have always had targets on their back it's ugly . I remember one of my kids used to go back and forth with a kid in grade school they traded wins they wrestled probably a dosen times went 6n 6 then my boy took off beat him probably 4 or 5 in a row the whole time everyone was cordial then my boy lost and the kids whole team went ignorant very classless I immediately grabbed BOTH my boys and said remember that you do not act that way and remember this when you see them again ,talked to the kids dad we became friends over the yrs told him it was cool congrats but we never acted that way ,my boys Never lost to a Fairfield kid again the rest of their lives or a moe kid ,kids work hard no one likes to loose honor your opponent leave the trash for message boards and idiots who ramble on ,kids are kids no one likes to loose and everyone does not only act like you have been there act like you deserve to be there .better yet do not act ,coaches and parents instill those qualities in your kids they will not be acting it will be their nature most of the celebration stuff is fake anyway it makes kids look like showboating braggarts ,let their performance speak for itself let everyone else brag let athletes walk the walk and set standards .

Oh and college coaches do not recruit parents they recruit kids wrestlers based on performance and actions !

Its now illegal genius. Did you read any of the post or just see the word backflip and want to brag that you used to show off by doing it in a match. Also the context of the post was referring to after a match celebrating.

Its now illegal genius. Did you read any of the post or just see the word backflip and want to brag that you used to show off by doing it in a match. Also the context of the post was referring to after a match celebrating.

Easy there. He knows its illegal