Sign in to follow this  
myGSP

Backflip

The addition of Rule 7-1-5w makes a back flip from a standing position an illegal maneuver. The rule was added as an effort to minimize risk to all wrestlers.

Does this apply to Trae Blackwell (Union)?

Brock Ervin

Its meant while wrestling. Not after the match.

When a wrestler has a single leg picked up, the def wrestler can not do a backflip to free the leg. To many kids were gettimg kicked in the face.

• Upvote 1

Its meant while wrestling. Not after the match.

When a wrestler has a single leg picked up, the def wrestler can not do a backflip to free the leg. To many kids were gettimg kicked in the face.

But thats not what the rule says, Rule 7-1-5w makes a back flip from a standing position an illegal maneuver. Says nothing of when, such as during the match.

They can deduct one team point for unsportsmanship after the match, don't see why they couldn't for that? BLUFF: Kids excited....Bad thing is now everyone is going to come up with something should they win, it could get crazy.....

They can deduct one team point for unsportsmanship after the match, don't see why they couldn't for that? BLUFF: Kids excited....Bad thing is now everyone is going to come up with something should they win, it could get crazy.....

I can remember when St. X was chasing Woodford County for the state title, two Woodford kids beat X kids then stood up pointed to X's crowd crossed their chest with a mock X and made the cut throat sign.

That was unsportsmanlike doing a back flip or running around things like that are awesome the kids deserve to celebrate their accomplishment!!!

C'mon the kids need to celebrate. If they have the energy to still do a backflip after the match let them. They are not taunting anyone or singling anyone out.

The back flip was a big thing back in the 80's and 90's. (Started with David Ritchie).

I also want to point out Joe Carr Sr. doing a backflip after Joe Jr. won.

• Upvote 1

I think it is great the kid won an individual state title congrats to him, but in my opinion act like you have been there before. Salute your crowd and go on. No need for the backflips or some of the other stuff I saw. When you win, salute your fans and move on. Maybe I am old school on this but I just hate when people show off.

I think it is great the kid won an individual state title congrats to him, but in my opinion act like you have been there before. Salute your crowd and go on. No need for the backflips or some of the other stuff I saw. When you win, salute your fans and move on. Maybe I am old school on this but I just hate when people show off.

I tend to be on the old school side myself, however I give a little rope on this one. A flip by Brock, Cooper yelling and flexing, Fahy holding up four fingers, it's all okay with me. I would rather see the "act like you've been there" actions of the Myers boys, but a state title is a real achievement. So I say let 'em celebrate a little.

Been a lot of hype around that match with Brock and TJ for months , I think it's good to see a little extra excitement out of a kid after a big match

Come on guy "act like you've been there" give me a break. These young men have worked the last 8 to 10 years for this moment. They are entitled to a little celebration, after all they just won a state championship. It may be the only one they ever win so enjoy it a little, just keep it to a few seconds without being disrespectful to the wrestler you just beat. Remember he just had his dreams crushed by you and may never have that chance again.

I have no problem with celebrations, I've seen them do back flips while on the mat after state championships really don't mind.....I'm just say they could......

Dagger I agree. This is not a golfing event. This is an emotional sport, we are all there to have fun. Enjoy the moment with the individual that just won. No golfer clapping going on here, hooping and hollering is what makes it fun.

Act like youve been there? Why make them bottle up all that emotion. I'm a little disappointed when a wrestler does not celebrate a little after his win. Takes the fun out of it. I guess you don't like the celebration in the end zone either.

Come on guy "act like you've been there" give me a break. These young men have worked the last 8 to 10 years for this moment. They are entitled to a little celebration, after all they just won a state championship. It may be the only one they ever win so enjoy it a little, just keep it to a few seconds without being disrespectful to the wrestler you just beat. Remember he just had his dreams crushed by you and may never have that chance again.

Look I understand the whole thing about working for it 8 - 10 years. I guess I am just use to seeing a kid win and not show up their opponent and to me doing a back flip or I saw one kid pretend he was shooting something out of the sky (I think I saw this in the semis), to me that is not necessary. Recognize your fans for supporting you and say thanks.

Tccx, I was lucky enough to be on both ends of the string and it didn't bother me when the guy that beat me celebrated after beating me in the state finals. If I could have done a back flip when I won I would have but I didn't have the skills to do it. Someone acting like they are shooting something is a little much.

But thats not what the rule says, Rule 7-1-5w makes a back flip from a standing position an illegal maneuver. Says nothing of when, such as during the match.

I think its common sense that its meant during the match.

I also think the finals is an exception to the celebrating and acting like you've been there before sayings. Lets face it, most havent been there and probably wont ever be there again.

Its not like you won a normal tournament. This is a tournament most kids have been pouring there life into for 8-10 years. I say celebrate however you want as long as you dont direct it at your opponent.

I also remember the woodford amd st x actions a few years back. While close to the line, i still think it makes for some exciting finals.

What about that 103 pounder from woodford in 1996 who did the backflip after winning and landed on his head? Anybody remember that? Or mason Reid a few years ago, no one complained then. Watch the heavyweight who won high school state in Indiana three years ago do one after he won.

• Upvote 1

Touchy subject. Drop to your knees, arms in the air screaming... good stuff. Pointing at the crowd, making an x on your chest and doing a mock cut-throat move... not cool. As wrestlers, we shake hands before and after we wrestle. Shake the coaches hand after. I can honestly say the refs in our sport are treated with more respect than in any other sport. I love to see kids happy after earning a milestone. But I for one don't want our sport to deteriorate into showboating and punk-like behavior. Backflip?after the match, why not? But you had better go shake your opponants hand with respect afterwords, because the guy that beats you next might not be so kind.

I just posted the rule as written.

I think its common sense that its meant during the match.

Common sense, like the KHSSA rule about trensfering to another school?

If you think it's OK then the rule should be changed to say so.

I don't care if a backflip is done after a match, but what does the rule say?

As written I see violation, either enforce - change - or get rid of rule!

No dog in fight either way, JUST THE RULES AS WRITTEN!

Well based on my "Screen Name" you know my opinion. I prefer a simple fist pump, point to your group in the stands, then go jump in your coaches arms. If you want to do the "Lexington Leap" and go act like a fool "in the stands" go right ahead. You are no longer on the mat and at that point you are not disrespecting your opponent.