Sign in to follow this  
myGSP

vote for MOW

Caleb Ervin deserved it.  As much as MOW should be about the wrestler that wrestled the best that weekend, it usually isn't.  It seems to be more a career acheivement award.  Caleb had a GREAT high school career, great season, and great state tourny.  He teched 3:07 into the match in the finals.  He was deserving.  I say Fahy gets it next year barring any huge upsets because of it being his 4th championship and him probably dominating once again.

Without a doubt the best high school wrestler in Kentucky is John Fahy.  Is there even a case for anyone else?  Jude was incredible and fun to watch, but he is not as good for his weight as Fahy is.

I don't think he wrestled better than fahy or jude and ervins but Durbin out of Eastern wrestled good. He was wrestling up from 171 to 215 and beat an undefeated wrestler

please! Durbin won state yes ,but he was very lucky got slammed to get to finals by dq no way he beats DARROW who had Hardy beat and let it slip away with 17 seconds ! Durbin was not the best 215 and was too lazy too loose a little weight to go 189? again he won but mow no chance!

please! Durbin won state yes ,but he was very lucky got slammed to get to finals by dq no way he beats DARROW who had Hardy beat and let it slip away with 17 seconds ! Durbin was not the best 215 and was too lazy too loose a little weight to go 189? again he won but mow no chance!

Kyle Durbin = Worst State Champ Ever?

Kyle Durbin = Worst State Champ Ever?

Fahy is an amazing wrestler but the finals was kinda boring.

Durbin had no right to even be under those lights. He was crying about his shoulder and you goes out there in the Semi and comes out in the finals moving like a 52 pounder. He is the ultimate worst state champion ever. Im not a fan of Hollen but he should have been there.

Durbin had no right to even be under those lights. He was crying about his shoulder and you goes out there in the Semi and comes out in the finals moving like a 52 pounder. He is the ultimate worst state champion ever. Im not a fan of Hollen but he should have been there.

Excellent post about Durbin Flyboy. His coaches are gutless to allow that to happen.

durbin is a state champ guys mabe not mow like but a state champ none less he should not be bashed at all he got here and got the job done

That maybe true he did technically win a state title but you need to give him some lessons in sportsmanship there matrat. He did it very poorly and cheated to get where he was.

to be very candid here... I'm not sure I follow how or why any have described why a particular person should be named the MOW.  I get it... it is over with.  in my opinion, Ruschell should have won.  Was ranked 3rd going in.... has the crappiest draw possible (top three rankings on same side of draw- Boone and Bryant along with TJ)... pins all kids (including semis and finals), except Bryant (6 point decision {14-8}.  I don't think the MOW should necessarily go to the kid that is the flashiest or has "most" skills (although always difficult to tell)... how about going to the kid in the tournament that "beat" the odds and performed better than was supposed to.  my opinion is that TJ was the only that met that criteria.

to be very candid here... I'm not sure I follow how or why any have described why a particular person should be named the MOW.  I get it... it is over with.  in my opinion, Ruschell should have won.  Was ranked 3rd going in.... has the crappiest draw possible (top three rankings on same side of draw- Boone and Bryant along with TJ)... pins all kids (including semis and finals), except Bryant (6 point decision {14-8}.  I don't think the MOW should necessarily go to the kid that is the flashiest or has "most" skills (although always difficult to tell)... how about going to the kid in the tournament that "beat" the odds and performed better than was supposed to.  my opinion is that TJ was the only that met that criteria.

If we are going that route, hands down thomas buckman ranked 8th.

MOW stands for MOST OUTSTANDING WRESTLER.

Not wrestler who upset the rest, or wrestler who had the toughest way to go or wrestler who had the toughest wt. class.

Should a stud like Caleb be denied MOW because everyone ran from the wt. class he was wrestling in?

In my opinion the MOW goes to the best wrestler in the state.  With that said I know that the MOW usually will be pre-determined.  But is there anything wrong with that?  As long as that person fulfills his expectations. He deserves it.

Sometimes there is not a clear favorite and it is determined at the state tourney.

I hate when a kid wins most outstanding just because he upset someone in one match.

Once again this is the opinion of GOO nothing more nothing less.

GOO out.

interesting perspective GOO... glad you shared.  I've always viewed the MOW as the MOW of that specific tournament.  There are clear "great" wrestlers that would win this continually up 1 side and down the other time and time again... for me it is about that tournament... i wonder who or how many have "displaced" themselves away from the State Tourney MOW to find a "potential" win in another weight division... I do like the idea of a yearly MOW; which I do see differently than a tourney MOW.

Call it "2011 KY Wrestler of the Year"?

We have something close.  The Kentucky High School Coaches Association has an Outstanding Senior Award.  I believe it requires membership, so I am thinking that not all schools are members, although I could be wrong.  They give out an award for most, if not all of the sports.  Last five years recipients are:

2010-Ozzy

2009-Harrison Courtney

2008-Mitch Ervin

2007-Will Starks

2006-Richard Starks. 

Info may be viewed here:  http://khsca.org/AWARDS-outstandingSeniors.html

Durbin had no right to even be under those lights. He was crying about his shoulder and you goes out there in the Semi and comes out in the finals moving like a 52 pounder. He is the ultimate worst state champion ever. I'm not a fan of Hollen but he should have been there.

It was interesting to see Durbin come off the mat with a sly grin and pumping his fist by his side after his drama performance on the mat with Hollon.  Couldn't handle being down to Hollon and took the wimpy way to the top.  Not MOW material by any standard.