Sign in to follow this  
ryledad

Championship Celebration

I was just wondering why people get so offended when a wrestler celebrates in whatever fashion after a state championship.  I know some people feel as though there should be some level of restraint; shake the opponents hand and walk away, yada yada yada.  But who decided that this is the way it should be? I don't condone any level of taunting or disrespecting your opponent but on the other hand, a sincere release of pure unfiltered emotion is exhilarating to watch and experience.  I am sure most of us haven't seen that type of emotion from our teenagers since they were little babies who weren't worried about what other people might think.

The phrase "act like you have been there before" doesn't really apply at the finals of a state wrestling tournament; most kids haven't been there.  Fist pumping, shouts of joy, muscle flexing, one finger held high get the crowd in a frenzy.  Oh what a feeling!  Myron didn't have a melt down, that was a release of pure emotion mixed with a little  attitude.  He turned and shook Mark's hand no disrespect intended to him and walked off.  I like watching the boys let it loose.  All of us in the stands are acting like complete idiots when our boys win.  Maybe someone can shed some light? 

Myron's reaction was odd more than anything

But it was funny watching the emotion of Palmer, Osbourne and Thomas, which I think came from them being returning runner-ups

And then comparing it to Caleb Ervin not seeming to care at all

Myron's reaction was odd more than anything

But it was funny watching the emotion of Palmer, Osbourne and Thomas, which I think came from them being returning runner-ups

And then comparing it to Caleb Ervin not seeming to care at all

Caleb was quite upset that the Johnson Central kid (i Believe) wouldn't open up and was just tring to keep the score close.

Caleb was quite upset that the Johnson Central kid (i Believe) wouldn't open up and was just tring to keep the score close.

Ya I noticed that, my teammates and I joked about how he was just fighting to survive

Yes, I thought Caleb was upset with the JC guy stalling and holding on for dear life as they say. Nevertheless he had another undefeated season. Congrats to Trinity on their title, and all the state champs as well.

I agree. It is pretty interesting to watch the wrestlers celebrate. It is a moment when everyone has their eyes on you, and for a brief moment, you can let go of your emotions. I believe that if a wrestler has worked hard enough to obtain a title than he has earned the right to celebrate.

I liked it better when state champs used to do back flips and the coaches carried kids away after winning state titles. I understand the whole act like you've been there before attitude but for one moment you can celebrate.

I would say a celebration is in order for winning a State Championship. I would also believe that the only ones that have a problem with the celebrations, most likely lost. :-P :x

I think a humble champion is a class act,celebrate on the inside and show respect to your opponent on the outside.

I respect your opinion.  I was one of the fans in the stands cheering like an idiot for my son.  If he hadn't celebrated, I  would have thought something was wrong with him.  :-)

Given the ceremonies, and festivities that take place prior to these matches, especially the finals, I would expect nothing less than an outpouring of celebration.  The atmosphere is way too much to expect a somber exit from the mat as if it were just another match. 

I am not saying anything is wrong with the celebrations.There were several finalist that my son wrestled with in middle school and some we went to nationals with and yes I celebrated with them but if my son were to celebrate much at all it would be out of character for him.I am as proud of him for his character as I am his state championship. My son is John Lampe and I have said it many times I am truly blessed to be his father.

If anyone has ever watched the NCAA finals, you will see that these 21 and 22 year old young men celebrate just like Myron did, some even a little more and no one ever calls them classless or bad sports. After you have just won state, or even nationals, you aren't thinking about what you are doing, it is just pure emotion. That being said, I do think the celebration can wait until after you have shook the other kid's hand and congratulated him. I hate seeing the winner celebrate while the loser lays on the mat, obviously dissapointed.

I am not saying anything is wrong with the celebrations.There were several finalist that my son wrestled with in middle school and some we went to nationals with and yes I celebrated with them but if my son were to celebrate much at all it would be out of character for him.I am as proud of him for his character as I am his state championship. My son is John Lampe and I have said it many times I am truly blessed to be his father.

I spoke to your John at the Dragon  and state.  Super young man.  Congrats.

I think we need to be careful about judging these young athletes under the spotlights to harshly.  I know I don't want anyone going through my life with a magnifying glass.  Might be a little embarassing. :oops:

I liked it better when state champs used to do back flips and the coaches carried kids away after winning state titles. I understand the whole act like you've been there before attitude but for one moment you can celebrate.

Agreed. I honestly hope there's at least one back flip every year. While I usually favor the reserved, been-there-done-that attitude, winning a state title is the culmination of usually years of hard work and determination. If there's one moment where I'd expect, even honor, an outpour of emotion, it's after a state finals win.

Pass judgment on these young student athletes, we should not. If not directly disrespectful to the opponent, kentucky wrestling more entertaining, these celebrations make.

I don't think most people mind it for winning state, that is a heck of an accomplishment.  I don't care for it when it is the first few rounds.  I think maybe some people were mad about Bradbury because he had beat (all beat a bada$$!!) a 7th grader.  That's a heck of a maturity level difference in body between a 12-13 year old and a 17 yr old!  Heck of an accomplishment for him to get there even. 

my thoughts (take them for what they're worth): yes, i enjoy watching the celebrations after a finals victory. HOWEVER, there are ppl who take it too far. Spiking your headgear after beating a 7th grader (no matter how awesome he is), looking up at the fans of the wrestler you just beat as you draw their symbol on your chest and slice at your throat (not this year, but still one i remember from 2001), brushing off your shoulders/hips, or running to your coach and jumping into their arms/running off the mat before shaking your opponents hand are some that take it too far just to name a few.

Moral: by all means celebrate, you've earned it, but DON'T TAKE IT TOO FAR.