Sign in to follow this  
fireplug

STATE DUALS CANCELLED

The snow is the curse of Ryle (Larry Ryle was an educator and meteorlogist).  I f Ryle isn't in this, the curse will stop the event.

(By the way this is not a serious post)

:x :x :x :x :x :x

Why not just have a dual meet at Henry Clay for whatever teams want to show up tomorrow?  It wouldn't be state duals but it would be much better than nothing.

I am pretty disappointed that state duals are not being held this weekend.  I think about all the kids and coaches and all the time and effort preparing for this thing.  I just want to comment about a post or two that has been made concerning the cancellation.

First, this decision was made by a few associated with the KWCA.  I say a select few because I know for a fact that not all the officers of the KWCA were consulted.  Henry Clay nor the Fayette schools made this decision.

Second, someone on here stated that this was made for the safety of the kids.  To that person, who is also a coach, come state tournament time, if there is going to be an inch and half of snow in Frankfort, are you not taking your team to Frankfort?  The safest thing to do would not go, after all, you need to think about the safety of your wrestlers don't you?  What if even one got hurt?  Why do I say and inch and half because that is all snow forecast in Lexington at this time.

Third, why make the call at all?  I would think that there are many pretty responsible folks at each school district that can make this call for their kids.  You know like superintendents, transportation directors, principals, etc. those who get paid to make that call.  I think they will do what is best for the kids of their own district and if they think it is ok for them to come and participate, let them.

You know the KWCA will be having a meeting right before the state tournament and I have the feeling that many coaches will be discussing the cancellation of this tournament. There was more discussion of cancelling the tournament last year when half the state had no electricity and ice covered not only the roads but everything in the state than was made this year.

I agree with you on all this.  One question though, would the host school or host school district be in any way liable for an accident if a guest school traveling to their event had an accident and kids were hurt?  Even if that is the case, I would still think they could hold off on cancelling until they actually start seeing some snow.  Not sure how accurate the weather forecasts are in Lexington, but in the Cincinnati area it's probably 50/50....maybe 60/40.

Hey pioneer pride,

Unlike us when we did middle school and had to purchase our own separate insurance policy to cover us, all high school events are covered by the KHSAA insurance policy.  Host schools or districts are not liable.  They pay the KHSAA to carry insurance for them. 

The school districts have the final say if the buses can roll in the morning. Sounds like some of them didn't want to get up early on a Sat morning to make the decisions if their schools could go. Easiest thing to do is tell them NO  :evil:Fri. and SLEEP IN Sat. :-o

To put in perspective how big this tournament was and how much of a shame it was to cancel it: Mallory Ervin will be competing in Miss America 2010 tomorrow at 8:00, and where was Union County planning on being? In Lexington trying to win a state championship.

Very COLD Grapplenuz... congrats to Ms. Ervin... what an accomplishment and honor to have her representing our state.  Wishing her all the best.

As for canceling the tournament... it is a shame... and I totally understand the safety concerns... but lets make sure we understand... this was not a decision made in a vacuum.  If schools were being told they could not go, that is not HC, KWCA, or any coaches decision... that's the school or school districts decision.  Give them a break.  I am totally sure HC would love to have anyone there considering all the prep work that goes into making this happen.  Believe me there is tons of food, drink, volunteers all gathered and waiting to pull off a very smooth day.  And it takes lots of food at the concessions and hospitality room.  I really feel for the HC parents.

And while I'm on the subject... there is no good solution.  I don't agree with making State a 16 man bracket.  That cuts out half the kids that would be able to have the experience of participating in a state tournament.  What about those kids?  They work as hard as the others and deserve the chance to participate.  It's a big deal to all the kids.  My concern is the kids wrestling in the state dual are likely the same kids that would be wrestling in a 16 man bracket format.

Okay... that's all... I'll get off my soap box!       

And it takes lots of food at the concessions and hospitality room. And while I'm on the subject... there is no good solution.       

The HC wrestlers should invite the rest of the lexington wrestlers over tonight for a lock in to EAT all that FOOD. :-D :-D :-D Now you have a solution. :wink:

Two years in a row now they have been canceled, my question is why wasn't a back up plan put in place last year when this happened, this is the biggest event in wrestling behind state itself. One guy said drive up the night before. This is that type of event to which you drive up the day before and stay overnight, weigh in and get your mind right and walk on the mat the next morning ready to battle, if you think its not, you probably ain't wrestled in state duals. If this situation is not revised and taken care of for next year and made sure it will happen, step up and take/move the tournament somewhere that will host and say, weighs in the night before, get hotels and we wrestle on Saturday, period

Two years in a row now they have been canceled, my question is why wasn't a back up plan put in place last year when this happened, this is the biggest event in wrestling behind state itself. One guy said drive up the night before. This is that type of event to which you drive up the day before and stay overnight, weigh in and get your mind right and walk on the mat the next morning ready to battle, if you think its not, you probably ain't wrestled in state duals. If this situation is not revised and taken care of for next year and made sure it will happen, step up and take/move the tournament somewhere that will host and say, weighs in the night before, get hotels and we wrestle on Saturday, period

Well that backfired on us

I don't think that half of the schools involved were told by their districts that they couldn't travel.  There are 5 schools alone from the Louisville area and none of them were told they couldn't.  Then you add in the Northern KY schools that are still traveling tomorrow for JV state, now up to 7, some Lexington schools are still coming for it, now up to 9.  So I think maybe a couple were told they couldn't but I believe it was just cancelled prematurely by some people.  And wrestling could be done on Sunday many churches do service on Saturday night as well but that's a whole different issue...  :wink:  It should have just happened with whatever schools showed up and go from there, that's a much better solution than cancelling it completely.

I don't think that half of the schools involved were told by their districts that they couldn't travel.  There are 5 schools alone from the Louisville area and none of them were told they couldn't.  Then you add in the Northern KY schools that are still traveling tomorrow for JV state, now up to 7, some Lexington schools are still coming for it, now up to 9.  So I think maybe a couple were told they couldn't but I believe it was just cancelled prematurely by some people.  And wrestling could be done on Sunday many churches do service on Saturday night as well but that's a whole different issue...  :wink:  It should have just happened with whatever schools showed up and go from there, that's a much better solution than cancelling it completely.

You can add Fort Campbell to the list of teams that were travelling, and I think Union was getting ready to come too

JV state is still on, so anyone who is participating come on...and if you now have nothing to do come to it and cheer on your teammates or watch some wrestling going on this weekend...one of the few things now going on. 

Why are we not looking for another host for the state duals tournament?  Most of the top teams in the state would have made plans for the weather and would have been there before the bad weather.  See which of the top teams are not wrestling tomorrow.  My guess - NONE

One question... Why is state duals so late in the season?  When I wrestled in the mid to late 90's I'm pretty sure it was earlier in the season.  Also I think the state should return to the Districts, Region, and State format with a sixteen man bracket.  I hear these arguments about how do you exclude these kids that work so hard to get here but in my opinion they either didn't work hard enough or arn't good enough to be there.  I know im going to get some flack for the last comment but i'm tired of this every child deserves something crap that todays society preaches.  I'm not trying to insult people or piss anyone off just my thoughts on the matter. 

One question... Why is state duals so late in the season?  When I wrestled in the mid to late 90's I'm pretty sure it was earlier in the season.  Also I think the state should return to the Districts, Region, and State format with a sixteen man bracket.  I hear these arguments about how do you exclude these kids that work so hard to get here but in my opinion they either didn't work hard enough or arn't good enough to be there.  I know im going to get some flack for the last comment but i'm tired of this every child deserves something crap that todays society preaches.  I'm not trying to insult people or piss anyone off just my thoughts on the matter.

Bo knows... little?

It has nothing to do with 'every child desrves something crap'

Its $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

3 day state tournament = big revenue for KHSAA and Frankfort.  That's one extra day of hotels champ.  3 days = $$$$$

$$$ More people at state, staying  longer = more $$$ for KHASS

Lol True its been a long day and I'm not a money oriented person.

Its all good, the state will be more than money oriented for you.

Day 1: 32 man many of them crap, but only winner brackets so they have to come back the next day!

Day 2: a little better wrestling, some have to go home, the chaff from the wheat so to speak

Day 3: the real wrestling

Day 4: KHSAA counts the stacks and smiles.