OldTimer130

Dragon Inv.

Some results I saw:

112- Ruschell beat JTown kid, dominated him

119- Hall beat Bradbury, close match

140- Thomson beat Jones, close match

Good matches

- Jones vs Herald, dominated him

- Shirey vs Honeycutt- will someone call stalling on honeycuttt?

- Frost vs Pugh, frost moves too quick for a big guy

- Hendren vs Jarvis- OT match, Hendren won it

- Decker from Southern awesome firemans

some results that i know

103-norberry over giddens (weakest weight class of the tourney but good win for norberry)

119-hall over bradburry in 4ot (unless your a ryle fan, ky needs bradburry to win the state tourney, trust me myron i think the entire state will be behind you.)

140-thompson over jones by 1 (jones is the real deal as a 9th grader, solid technician)

152-coyle over johnson 5-0 , johnson is a much better wrestler , just giving up too much weight and needs to put on at least 5lbs or go back to 145, if he does either of these he will be state champ.

how did travis k do

He won but I am not  sure he he if he wrestled in the finals or not.  Maybe a forfeit in the finals.  Might need some confirmation on that.

He won but I am not  sure he he if he wrestled in the finals or not.  Maybe a forfeit in the finals.  Might need some confirmation on that.

Jordan Murphy did not wrestle the finals due illness.

Bradbury's a good kid, but why does the state need him to win the title?

good question. first off, you have to know the whole story with hall to get where i am coming from and i assumed that it was well known. if you dont know then i will share and this is coming directly from his father. first, mark hall is a great kid and his folks are good people. they moved here from michigan and will move back for when mark is a freshman. they are using ky as a minor league of sorts. not all bad ,perfectly legal,and as mark has proved he is phenom and i believe he is a true 7th grader and not a redshirt as they call it in other states. i will list what i think are the pros and cons of this.

cons

1. if you read the forums from states like ohio,indiana,and michigan you will see that they have slammed ky for having noone in the state to challenge him (there was no mention of a kid named bradbury who had beaten him already), this is eroding alot of the good progress we have made nationally in terms of respect.

2. opening of the flood gates. i have spoken to at least 3 ohio middle school parents who are seriously considering moving there kid to ky for their last 1 or 2 middle school years. do we really want to be a minor league for ohio,indiana, and michigan ?

3. taking quality mat time away from a ky kid (who plans on staying in ky anyhow)on his own team, probably a bit discouraging if your that kid. especially on ryles team with ozzi at 125 and ruschell at 112. this kid might be awful or he might be really good, i dont know who their jv is , but if he were to be a senior and not a bad wrestler, that would suck. where would he find a spot in that lineup. if he is younger, yes the wrestling room is better, but i would think hall is there making their starters better and not there jv.

pros

1.only one. he is making ryles starters better which will then force other top wrestlers in the state to step up there game to get better. this is a good thing from that standpoint.

so i dont know for sure how to take this but i do know if he was planning on staying for the long haul i would welcome him with open arms as it definitely would be a very good thing for our state, but this 2 yr deal for a seventh grader is a little concerning. jeff jordan has move ins and it makes all of ohio better, but they stay till graduation. do you think paris graham would allow a shortimer on there team? i do know that myron is the only one in the state who can challenge him and if myron wins we wont be veiwed as the state that is equal to others middle school programs. besides, if he wins he is just going to throw his ky state title medal under all of his other championship middle school and youth medals and move on to high school in michigan where they think it really matters. hope that answered your question.

so wait did supe beat cooper and was it a good match

Opposite brackets Cooper was a 4 seed.  He lost in the quarters to McCall.  Good match taking nothing away from anyone but Cooper has been hurt and just returned to practice this past week.

Opposite brackets Cooper was a 4 seed.  He lost in the quarters to McCall.  Good match taking nothing away from anyone but Cooper has been hurt and just returned to practice this past week.

Seriously why do people always have to qualify wins with "he was just getting back, or he was sick, or he had a bum elbow"

Does anyone ever beat someone who is actually healthy?

Seriously why do people always have to qualify wins with "he was just getting back, or he was sick, or he had a bum elbow"

Does anyone ever beat someone who is actually healthy?

I don't have a dog in this fight.  If you read the entire quote it said "not taking anything away from anyone".  Cooper was winning the match and got gassed and beaten in the third period.  He had an ankle injury to the point that he was in a walking boot the past 3 or so weeks.  I talked to him after the tournament and he made no excuse for himself whatsoever.  That being said it was obvious to me that he was not on the top of his game at this point but knowing the Cooper legacy that will be a shortlived.  Barring death or amputation, I expect him to be ready to go at regionals.  If everyone had the intensity, ferocity and tenacity that Kevin Cooper has on the wrestling mat there would have to be a mop on the side of the mat to clean up the blood shed following each match..

good question. first off, you have to know the whole story with hall to get where i am coming from and i assumed that it was well known. if you dont know then i will share and this is coming directly from his father. first, mark hall is a great kid and his folks are good people. they moved here from michigan and will move back for when mark is a freshman. they are using ky as a minor league of sorts. not all bad ,perfectly legal,and as mark has proved he is phenom and i believe he is a true 7th grader and not a redshirt as they call it in other states. i will list what i think are the pros and cons of this.

cons

1. if you read the forums from states like ohio,indiana,and michigan you will see that they have slammed ky for having noone in the state to challenge him (there was no mention of a kid named bradbury who had beaten him already), this is eroding alot of the good progress we have made nationally in terms of respect.

2. opening of the flood gates. i have spoken to at least 3 ohio middle school parents who are seriously considering moving there kid to ky for their last 1 or 2 middle school years. do we really want to be a minor league for ohio,indiana, and michigan ?

3. taking quality mat time away from a ky kid (who plans on staying in ky anyhow)on his own team, probably a bit discouraging if your that kid. especially on ryles team with ozzi at 125 and ruschell at 112. this kid might be awful or he might be really good, i dont know who their jv is , but if he were to be a senior and not a bad wrestler, that would suck. where would he find a spot in that lineup. if he is younger, yes the wrestling room is better, but i would think hall is there making their starters better and not there jv.

pros

1.only one. he is making ryles starters better which will then force other top wrestlers in the state to step up there game to get better. this is a good thing from that standpoint.

so i dont know for sure how to take this but i do know if he was planning on staying for the long haul i would welcome him with open arms as it definitely would be a very good thing for our state, but this 2 yr deal for a seventh grader is a little concerning. jeff jordan has move ins and it makes all of ohio better, but they stay till graduation. do you think paris graham would allow a shortimer on there team? i do know that myron is the only one in the state who can challenge him and if myron wins we wont be veiwed as the state that is equal to others middle school programs. besides, if he wins he is just going to throw his ky state title medal under all of his other championship middle school and youth medals and move on to high school in michigan where they think it really matters. hope that answered your question.

My coaches brother is the Davision coach in Michigan. From what he said, there not to happy about it. Coach said that he was told that he will be leaving after the season to play football in Michigan and return again in the fall to wrestle. All so his dad can brag that his son is a 6x state champ. I also hope bradberry can take this away from him at state.

i think next year this needs to be a 2 day tourney, maybe wrestling friday night and then all day saturday, its not fair to the kids who get drawn for pigtails matches then maybe end up with the 1 or 2 seed after that then only get to wrestle to get to the 7th and 8th match and have to forfeit there due to the 5 match rule, give the kids a chance to wrestle for 3rd n 4th also

i think next year this needs to be a 2 day tourney, maybe wrestling friday night and then all day saturday, its not fair to the kids who get drawn for pigtails matches then maybe end up with the 1 or 2 seed after that then only get to wrestle to get to the 7th and 8th match and have to forfeit there due to the 5 match rule, give the kids a chance to wrestle for 3rd n 4th also

Wrestling is suppose to teach "life lessons". Let me share a universal truth. Life is not fair. Don't lose and you need not worry about it.

This is one of the, if not the best run tournament in the state.

cons

pros

I have watched this kid wrestle only a few times in Ohio, But he has beaten numerous OHIO state places and wrestled the #1 Kid (Brascetta - Graham) in the nation at 119 very tough even though the score did not show it. What he is doing is perfectly within the rules of KY state wrestling. You welcome 7 and 8 graders every year, but when one comes around that is just outstanding you blast him.

1. He is not eroding nation respect in KY. This is a sport that if you want respect you earn it. I have not read heard one person in Ohio asking why KY does not have anyone to beat him, because as far as I have seen there is only ONE OHio kid that has beat him. Can he win a state title in Ohio, I seriously doubt it, but he would be a top six.

2. If you heard of Ohio parents moving their kid to KY to wrestle high school in 7th and 8th grade, then you better inform them that they will lose 2 years of eligiblity, becuase Ohio rules say that you can only have 4 years of high school wrestling.

3. Again this is sport where you earn your spot. win the wrestle off and you have a spot..

Enough said. this kid is the real deal, and I think everyone enjoys watching him for the next two year. Even if he does not win a stte title this year

Your posting on here just confirms what Floridafan is saying relative to national preceptions. No one blast Joe Carr Jr, Harrison Courtney, Brock Ervin as middle schoolers wrestling up. Apparently, OHSAA agrees that this creates a less that optimal situation. Kentucky has been working hard to improve. It looks as though we need to change our rules too if we ever look to be on par with the likes of great wrestling states like Ohio. I have yet to meet anyone here that has said a single disparaging thing about him as an individual. Should he continue his career in the Bluegrass I think you will see the entire Commonwealth embrace him. It is unfortunate that a little boy will feel the backdraft of a father's ego.

I agree with your "earning respect" argument. How can we do that when out-of-staters take advantage of some rules and possibly opportunities from residents?

heyyou1-00

obviously you have a reading comprehension issue, a simple dose of ritalin may fix this. or maybe you just have a comunication problem, sorry no fix for this in pill form.  maybe this  subject is a little personal for you. bottom line, you have poorly defended your position on this. first the ohio ruling is only if you live and wrestle in ohio , you are not penalized for being varsity in a state as a 7th and 8th grader and then move into ohio as a freshman. you still get your 4 eligible years of varsity time. secondly, if you would of read the post better, i am not blasting him for being an awesome 7th grader beating up true high schoolers, but i was clearly pointing out the fact that he was on a 2 yr contract by design and then leaving to mighty michigan. i never once claimed anything was illegal, in fact i used the exact terms "perfectly legal". i also hardly doubt this could be considered blasting the kid, i am sure he didnt beg his dad to leave his freinds and move to union ky .

in my next post i will include an english to ryle translation, or maybe an english to michigan translation, you pick which one will help you understand better.

could care less about this entire Hall situation.  I think it is incredible he is that good and that young!!  However for his plan to work, a school has to accept him and let him wrestle.  It is now different than all the basketball and football and baseball transfers we have going on within our own state!!!

This topic has been discussed in the past but coming from someone fairly close to the situation, I would make this comment.  Mark Hall is not allowed to even practice with the varsity wrestling team in Michigan.  Wrestling most middle schoolers is a waste of time since there are only a few wrestlers in even Ryle's varsity practice that can challenge Mark although their are a few who can.  So for this reason it was necessary to turn to alternatives for bettering himself.  Is this a viable option for most people?  Of course not.  But this is not an ordinary situation.

Maybe it isn't the Mark Halls of the world who are wrong. They are working within the boundaries that they have been given.  Maybe it is society as a whole that wants to essentially dumb down everything to a level of mediocrity that has placed us behind half the world in terms of education, technology and the rest.  Maybe we should learn to embrace these talented people in any venue and find ways that we can cultivate their gifts.  Many people think that these so called "gifts" just fell into these individuals laps. Further investigation reveals that most and almost all the time this is not true.  Read the book  Talent is Overratedand see theses incredible people spent many  many years refining their skills. 

Such is the case  for Mark Hall who has been wrestling for about eight years with an average of over 200 matches .  How many matches do you wrestle in any given  year? How good  would you therefore be  if that (200) was the case?

Mark is now a part of the Ryle family and we treat him as one of our own.  I am sure that Myron Bradbury has some renewed fire to take his game to a higher level and prove that  he is the best  in the state .

The only disappointments that come to my mind are

1) the fact that 7-8 graders in Kentucky, who actually LIVE here, born and raised here, but go to private school feeder programs like St. X and Trinity are NOT allowed to compete with their high schools and

2) if a kentucky high school drops its program on its wrestlers, they can't transfer to other schools without a one year penalty. We penalize our own KY kids all the time, and Hall gets a free pass to show up part time. Sure, it's legal and all. I just think some of these rules should be ironed out a bit.