Sign in to follow this  
Anklepick

Football/Wrestlers

I just got down matching Meade County playing John Hardin in football.  Tyler Crow is one heck of a big strong fullback.  He is really fast for his size.  Is their any other Football/Wrestlers who stand out in both sports such as Tyler?

I can only speak as a fan at Ryle... There have been several excellent football players that were also wrestlers,  however Ryle's football coaches do not support their players wrestling.  The result is that these excellent football players were given an ultimatium to choose one sport over the other... all have selected wrestling.  A real shame as these wrestlers/football players were starters on the football team... and state champs or placers in wrestling.  Not only a tremendous sacrifice for the team but more importantly an unfair delima for the student... who should be able to participate and contribute to both sports.

I had a discussion the other day with a retired football coach about this problem. He found this ironic as when he started coaching the football coaches were pushing to have wrestling programs started so that the could put their players in wrestling.

Central has sent 3 stand out wrestlers to college to play football. Corey Peters, Mister Cobble, and Jordan Tennyson all are playing at UK.  The interesting thing is Coach Joker has said that they are good at football because of wrestling.

Western Hills has two upcoming wrestlers--football players....hopefully more to come...the head football coach supports the wrestling program and actually comes to some of the matches  !!!!!!!!!!!    it makes it a heck of alot easier to get kids to come out and the benefits are being seen not only on the field but in the classroom (consistant monitoring of grades) and their attendance (got to come to school to practice)  it will only make the kids better...he has seen what wrestling does for his student/ athletes, what kind of shape they are in , and the mental focus they bring with them.....it is a win/win situation.......thanks Coach Miller and Head Wrestling Coach Bowser for making this happen

Fort Campbell is sadly experiancing a decline in football players wrestling. Zach Rhinestine was the last really good football player wrestler.

Ive talked to a few of the more well built football players. Alot of the reasons they give for not wrestling stem from fear of injury (this has stopped a couple soccer players too), or the usual unwillingness to wear Singlets.

I dont really know what are the coach's opinons on the sport, the offensive line coach used to coach us and I think tried recruiting some wrestlers.

is there anyone wrestling and playing football at the college level out of ky?

I believe Marcell Haynes (North Hardin) is wrestling and playing football for Campbellsville University.

zach Zowder is having a pretty beast year

gm  att  yrds  td  avg

Zach Sowder          Scott              10  317  1752  14  175

The heavy weight from McCreary co is a quality athlete in both sports. I don't know for sure, but I would say that he is being looked at by D1 schools for football. Gentry at Woodford is another big guy that is good in both sports. He was starting varsity football by the end of his freshman year and will most likely play football in college.

Also, did anyone see the article about the Bryan Station running back in the Lexington Hearald Leader? He said that being on he wrestling team is the hardest thing he has ever done and that it has made him a much better football player. He has over 2000 yards rushing, so I would say he's pretty good.

http://www.kentucky.com/high_school/football/story/994517.html

I can only speak as a fan at Ryle... There have been several excellent football players that were also wrestlers,  however Ryle's football coaches do not support their players wrestling.   The result is that these excellent football players were given an ultimatium to choose one sport over the other... all have selected wrestling.   A real shame as these wrestlers/football players were starters on the football team... and state champs or placers in wrestling.   Not only a tremendous sacrifice for the team but more importantly an unfair delima for the student... who should be able to participate and contribute to both sports.

Conner is the same way.  Sure, outwardly they'll say that kids can do both, but quietly they say "us or them".  Too bad.....

I can only speak as a fan at Ryle... There have been several excellent football players that were also wrestlers,  however Ryle's football coaches do not support their players wrestling.   The result is that these excellent football players were given an ultimatium to choose one sport over the other... all have selected wrestling.   A real shame as these wrestlers/football players were starters on the football team... and state champs or placers in wrestling.   Not only a tremendous sacrifice for the team but more importantly an unfair delima for the student... who should be able to participate and contribute to both sports.

Where do you get your information from? I have personally spoken to the head football coach at Ryle and never has he implied or inferred that he would not support any football player if he or she decided to wrestle.  Never in the many years that I have been involved with both programs, have I ever heard of any ultimatum presented to any football player. I can think of three varsity football starters who also excel on the wrestling mat. I hope that your post is entirely predicated on hearsay and rumors, for if it isn't, it sure sheds a new light on this subject.

Kids at Ryle I know were given the football or wrestling "ultimatum"

Bryan Peace

Mason Reid

Alex Pickett

Jake Bradford

Will Hogben

OK.  I will take these names to the coach after the seasons over and see what he has to say about it.  An ultimatum is a very powerful statement. If this is his stance, then he obviously does not understand that the two sports compliment one another. Thanks