bluegrassbrawler

Best wrestler never to win a state championship?

The title of this is "BEST WRESTLER"

Robert Smith, (Who I think was mentioned and Billy Whitehouse may be the only two IMO that would qualify)

I don't think any of these would qualify in this catagory.

Honerable Mention from your list

Cody Walls- Very patient wrestler but not spectacular.

Nate Johnson-did not wrestle his senior year.

Stanly Stone and Keith Lageman, maybe should have won their senior year but once again very good wrestlers but not great.

Smith went to eastern right?

Doesnt he fight MMA and coach at kcd with Coach G from North Oldham's middle school program during summer?

The title of this is "BEST WRESTLER"

Robert Smith, (Who I think was mentioned and Billy Whitehouse may be the only two IMO that would qualify)

I don't think any of these would qualify in this catagory.

Honerable Mention from your list

Cody Walls- Very patient wrestler but not spectacular.

Nate Johnson-did not wrestle his senior year.

Stanly Stone and Keith Lageman, maybe should have won their senior year but once again very good wrestlers but not great.

I don't think Smith really belongs on this list either, placing 6th and 4th I believe.  Whitehouse and his team mate, Mark Shaver, definitely belong though.  Both were 2 time finalist, and both lost very close final's matches - Whitehouse in OT his senior year, and Shaver blowing a huge lead over Hagedorn, eventually losing in OT.

Smith went to eastern right?

Doesnt he fight MMA and coach at kcd with Coach G from North Oldham's middle school program during summer?

Yeah Rob is fighting MMA now at 145 and 135, and he coaches North Oldham middle school with Coach G. As far one of the best to never win it, I agree that Rob is on the list. Him and Jordan Lewis were the only 2 I ever saw even keep it close with Murton in the state of KY. Rob nearly pinned him in their semifinal match. Rob was clearly the 2nd best 135 that year but just didn't care after his loss to Murton. He could headlock almost anyone in the state, even though everyone knew it was comin.

I don't know if Whitehouse belongs, Shaver probably though because he did in fact blow a huge lead in the finals.

All of you can say what you want about who the best wrestlers to never win state are, but if you ask me, I'll tell you straight up. I think the best wrestlers to never win state were Beau Sanders, Josh Ashbrook, and Ryan Ross. 8-) All three were some of the best technitions to ever wrestle in this state, there just always seemed to be some thing in the way. I also think that if Beau Sanders and Josh Ashbrook had switched weights, they both would have won state, but thats just my opinion and opinions don't matter. :wink:

Jeff Branch from FC 1981 119.  By far the best in the weight class.  He ran a double arm bar past 90.  Ref called a point for it and the kid laid down on him.  DQ'ed.  The state champ that year was from eastern and Jeff beat him all year long.

Also Todd May which has been said.  Just want to give some props.

Jeff Branch from FC 1981 119.  By far the best in the weight class.  He ran a double arm bar past 90.  Ref called a point for it and the kid laid down on him.  DQ'ed.  The state champ that year was from eastern and Jeff beat him all year long.

Also Todd May which has been said.  Just want to give some props.

He related to Derric Branch?

He related to Derric Branch?

I am wondering the same thing.  I meant that the state champ that year was in the same district.  I am sure they met several times.  I do not know the records but do know Jeff won Dist and Regional.  So thats at least twice he beat him.  He also beat the guy that got 2nd during the regional.     

Jeff's really good as a coach too, great at creating new moves and unique counters!

He has a way of seeing things others dont!

All of you can say what you want about who the best wrestlers to never win state are, but if you ask me, I'll tell you straight up. I think the best wrestlers to never win state were Beau Sanders, Josh Ashbrook, and Ryan Ross. 8-) All three were some of the best technitions to ever wrestle in this state, there just always seemed to be some thing in the way. I also think that if Beau Sanders and Josh Ashbrook had switched weights, they both would have won state, but thats just my opinion and opinions don't matter. :wink:

You didn't go to Harrison Co did you?  Ashbrook belongs on the list but Sanders never impressed me as awesome even though he lost to Courtney twice in the finals.

In recent years in Nky you have to have.

1.  Josh Cooper

2.  Daniel Thuenerman

Both no-dobters on the list

Then possible other two.

3.  Brian Wilson (CC)

4.  John Golsby (Hol)

Both of which I believe defeated Ryan Ross

You didn't go to Harrison Co did you?  Ashbrook belongs on the list but Sanders never impressed me as awesome even though he lost to Courtney twice in the finals.

i always thought that sanders was better. i at least liked watching him more, he was more exciting to me. ashbrooke just always seemed slow, and very very technical, you didnt see him do much except counter. won lots of matches though, i guess if it works then keep doing it.

i always thought that sanders was better. i at least liked watching him more, he was more exciting to me. ashbrooke just always seemed slow, and very very technical, you didnt see him do much except counter. won lots of matches though, i guess if it works then keep doing it.

[/quote

I don't think you watched Ashbrook wrestle very much, he was nothing but an offensive wrestler and was not slow by any means, you did get one thing right though he was very technical.  Sanders was a very good wrestler too, IMO he was more of a defensive/counter wrestler.

In Northern Kentucky past five years I include:

Daniel Thuenerman

Josh Cooper

Keith Lageman

I agree with all these. Keith Lageman was one of the most athletic heavyweights I ever saw -- not the flab most heavys have. Also a very decent young man.

Actually cooper was not beating me 10 to 0. I remember. I was losing 2 to 1. And i reached back in the 3rd period and got stuck. And i never gave up a match in my life. Just dumb mistakes cost me. I worked hard to get where i was. I was basically my own drill partner, and i didnt have the money to go to all the fancy camps or all the summer tournaments. I had to help my mother with wit bills. And i feel like if your not me then you cant say i gave up. Golsby is not a quits boy! My pick is Daniel blevens from Holmes. I feel if he believed he could win state he would have.     

Preach on brotha.. :-o  I feel you on not having money for them camps and not having the best drill partner.  Hell my senior year our new coach was an idiot and new nothing about the sport.. Self made man baby!!!!!!!!!

Actually cooper was not beating me 10 to 0. I remember. I was losing 2 to 1. And i reached back in the 3rd period and got stuck. And i never gave up a match in my life. Just dumb mistakes cost me. I worked hard to get where i was. I was basically my own drill partner, and i didnt have the money to go to all the fancy camps or all the summer tournaments. I had to help my mother with wit bills. And i feel like if your not me then you cant say i gave up. Golsby is not a quits boy! My pick is Daniel blevens from Holmes. I feel if he believed he could win state he would have.     

Did Blevins even place at state, I remember we use to wrestle and I never lost to him. I did not even place at state